SwitcherX

• Legend
Well I'll be jiggered!
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:32:15 PM »
It seems I was a bit premature.  I didn't beat my sugar addiction.  I just took a break from it for a week or 2.  I don't remember how long it lasted.

Since I usually drink a 2L bottle of Pepsi a day, my diet has at least 231g of sugar and 845 calories from it a day.  And that assumes I only drink 2L.  I'm **94** over ½ lbs of sugar a day.  This needs to end.  I decide to attack the problem scientifically.

If I'm addicted to sugar it follows that I should be able to just stir some sugar in water and drink that.  I tried it and it only made me sick.

Then I though maybe it's actually high fructose corn syrup and not sugar.  I tried stirring some corn syrup into water and drank that.  It made me sicker then when I drank the sugar water.

So it's not sugar or related things.  I looked at the ingredients on a 24oz bottle of Pepsi and the only other thing I could think of is caffeine.  If it's caffeine, I should be able to replace Pepsi with coffee.  It seemed logical so I brewed up a pot.  It didn't do anything so I made a second pot that was strong enough to make my heart implode.  It still did nothing.

At this point I was stumped.  It's not sugar and not caffeine.  I though it might be the taste but I can drink other soft drinks other than Pepsi and be ok.  That gave me the clue to unlock the mystery...

I spent a hour on Google and discovered that it's a real thing.  I couldn't believe it.  I devised an experiment to test it.

I took a cold 2L bottle of Pepsi, opened it, and took a sip.  It's just what I expected.  I then put it back in the refrigerator but left the cap off.  Five hours later I drank the rest of it with dinner and afterwards watching tv.  I'm getting the same amounts of sugar and caffeine but I had to make myself drink it.  My hunch is confirmed.

“What is this gay ass shit...” I immediately think to myself. (*)

I'm addicted to carbonation.

To make sure I bought a 2L bottle of carbonated water and poured some sugar-free grape Kool-Aid mix into it.  I happily drank that instead of Pepsi and didn't have any sugar cravings or headaches or anything.

I'm 6'3”, 350 lbs @ 31% body fat.  As a friend put it, I'm in “off season” shape.  If flex my abs I can still see some faint definition.  I estimate that 40% of my daily caloric intake is from sugar, at least.  I made a spreadsheet to predict weight loss.  If I cut out soft drinks I'll probably lose 100 lbs in about 5 months.  If I swim for exercise, weight loss will be faster and/or greater due to heat transfer to the water.

Starting on Jan 1 I'm cutting out soft drinks except for Saturdays where I'll drink whatever I want.  I”m shooting for 235 lbs.  We'll see what happens.  I'll post updates occasionally.

(*) I'm using gay in the strict South Park sense not the homophobic one

« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 11:39:09 PM by SwitcherX »
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
Re: Well I'll be jiggered!
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 04:00:37 AM »
Welcome aboard, man.  I was once as high as 272 -- I'm just an inch shorter than you -- and I chalk a lot of that up to my living on the rival, Coca-Cola.  (Ironic Christmas subject, no?)  But I switched to diet green tea and now just flavor my spring water.  I'm still hovering in the 250s (and Christmas rituals may bump me back up to 260) but that's one less obstacle.  235, huh?  Race ya!

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 04:47:09 AM »
Since i'll be spotting you 100 lbs.....  NO! :D
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

-- Notty

Tenshi

• A Cup
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:24:23 AM »
wow.. i'm 120 lbs XD. Switch to tea sillies!

espy

• G Cup
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:57:58 PM »
Best of luck, SwitcherX.
How would a girl with huge boobs ever know if she's truly interesting?

SwitcherX

• Legend
1 month update
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »
I actually started on Jan 4th, not the 1st, since that's when I started work again.  I immediately ran into a problem.  Sometimes I can't get any water.  There is none in the vending machines at work and the tap water can be terrible sometimes.  I still managed to cut back a lot.

According to the scale this morning, I've lost 7.5 lbs.  It's a crappy digital scale that give a different number every time, but that's the average.  I haven't started exercising or watching what I eat yet.  My work schedule has changed so I should be able to get water when I want it.

Not bad so far.
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

madcow4

• A Cup
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:08:16 AM »
Gotta say, Switch, I've been **94** more Club Soda over Coke and Pepsi, and the taste is starting to get under my skin a little. Might be something to this Carbonation draw.

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:46 AM »
Switch, I carry 2 or 3 Nalgene bottles of chilled, home-filtered water to work in a little nylon-fabric cooler. Hell of a lot cheaper than getting it from a vending machine...

You both might be interested in trying unflavored St. Pellegrino, which is naturally carbonated mineral water. (Avoid the flavored varieties; they're loaded with sugar.)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:51:00 AM by gonZo »

madcow4

• A Cup
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
Not quite the same to me, and by not quite the same, I mean that it tastes like urine.

But, different strokes.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
Not quite the same to me, and by not quite the same, I mean that it tastes like urine.

But, different strokes.

So you have **92** much urine?
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

madcow4

• A Cup
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 04:43:36 PM »
Yes, it tastes like motor oil, actually ;D

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
I thought I saw a kit where you can make your own carbonated water/soft drinks with the proper artificial flavoring, at home from tap water.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
Gotta say, Switch, I've been **94** more Club Soda over Coke and Pepsi, and the taste is starting to get under my skin a little. Might be something to this Carbonation draw.

It's insidious
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
Switch, I carry 2 or 3 Nalgene bottles of chilled, home-filtered water to work in a little nylon-fabric cooler. Hell of a lot cheaper than getting it from a vending machine...

Good idea, I'll have to try it.  I need a bottle for shaking when i put Kool-Ade in water or similiar.

You both might be interested in trying unflavored St. Pellegrino, which is naturally carbonated mineral water. (Avoid the flavored varieties; they're loaded with sugar.)

Like Perrier?
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

Shara

• Cup Runneth O'er
  • version 1.337
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 05:30:16 AM »
learn2like water :P
"I don't always approve of coup d'état, but when I do, it's by Shara." -LuvDemWhoppers