Hacker alert?
« on: December 14, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
I was just surfing around the archive, and decided to look into the Battle Squadron site. What is this?

"HTTPD Error 666: BOFH was here
This account dealt with by BOFH. Don't give out your username or it might happen to you, too.
Thought for the day: First Law of Networking: Loose ends are bad, termination is good."

This is a little creepy. Anyone mind telling me what this is about?

Has anyone heard from the site monitor at that site?

steveo

• L Cup
Re: Hacker alert?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2001, 02:08:00 PM »
yup, someone hacked their site and replaced the index page. Now how could they do the same to you, unless you were running a web server?

steveo

So, do you like big tits, or huge tits? ... U.S. Marshal Quigley

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2001, 03:20:00 PM »
Hmmm... looks like an external penetration done because of a temporary routing anomaly ...
Someone must've sniffed the packets somewhere in transit, obtained a user/password combo, and then actually used that combo to work his(her?) way in and boot the site.

Sysadmins would be advised to a) contact the site author to tell him his account's been broken, and b) boot him for not seeing it himself.

Zorlond

• G Cup
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2001, 03:49:00 PM »
Especially since it's been like that for months now. I thought it'd been booted by the Owner, though I didn't get the references...
"Don't you dare call me irrational! You <i>know</i> that makes me <b>CRAZY!!</b>"

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2001, 03:54:00 PM »
Yeah, well, you'd have thoguht IF the owner pulled the site he'd have the guts to tell - but I find it strange BEA admins haven't acted on it ... or have they ?

Imaginos

• Former BEA Webmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2001, 03:59:00 PM »
Passing this on to the owner. If he doesnt have a backup of the site and it has not been deleted then i will have to rebuild a simple html page.

Thanks for the heads up
Imaginos

Prophet_Tenebrae

• Breast Prophet
  • Prophet Of Darkness
    • FTF10 - FTF Superblog
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2001, 04:43:00 PM »
I'm very concerned about this. How do we know that this isn't simply a test run for a much larger attack that is going to possibly culmulate in the total devestation of the BEA.

If I were a BEA member, I'd be asking where my money is going - if not on security to stop hacking that could seriously dent the level of service that I receive.

As it is I'll just have my beer.

Trace

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
Err...

I seem to recall this discussion coming up in the Loft.

It may have been done as a placeholder by the gallery owner himself; "B.O.F.H." is shorthand for "Bastard Operator From Hell".

I think.  If people are putting any money on what I way, then they deserve to lose it.  

Trace

-T
===
"Historians have a word for Germans who joined the Nazi party, not because they hated Jews, but out of a hope for restored patriotism, or a sense of economic anxiety, or a hope to preserve their religious values, or dislike of their opponents, or raw political opportunism, or convenience, or ignorance, or greed.

"That word is 'Nazi.' Nobody cares about their motives anymore."

- A.R. Moxon

sebreid

• E Cup
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
Hmmm, Bastard operator, dare i ask?

Pacman

• Woka Woka
  • It's my wife. Don't send horny shit to me.
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »
If we all freak out about this, the terrorists win.
For art and photos:
http://pacman9920.deviantart.com
I remember blogs before blogs existed:
http://logg64.wordpress.com/

Zorlond

• G Cup
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2001, 07:13:00 PM »
Who freaked? It took this long for people to even notice.
"Don't you dare call me irrational! You <i>know</i> that makes me <b>CRAZY!!</b>"

SAMU

• BANNED USER
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2001, 10:16:00 PM »
The terrorists have already won. We now live in the first world wide totalitarian military dictatorship since Rome. Didn't you notice? It was in all the papers. You know, resolution Oh... yay and such, The one that gives them the power to arrest and execute anyone they damn well please.

SAMU

Pacman

• Woka Woka
  • It's my wife. Don't send horny shit to me.
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2001, 10:20:00 PM »
We've been doing that to each other for years already. It was just to our own people.

Now we can hop borders to do it to!

And I hardly think a joke (especially one that's being used by everybody these days) brings up a request for yet another political discussion on this board.

How about those boobs?

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Pacman ]

For art and photos:
http://pacman9920.deviantart.com
I remember blogs before blogs existed:
http://logg64.wordpress.com/

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2001, 10:43:00 AM »
Right. Well. So my gallery has been hacked.
Given the fact that apparently the site has been down for a long time [I haven't had time to push through updates etc.] and it's gone unnoticed, I threfore must conclude that there is no demand for its contents.

Saves me the trouble - and you guys an extra dead link. Oh well. If somethign looks too good to be true ....

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2001, 08:05:00 PM »
Oh Battle Squadron! I liked your site! Why do you think I was so mift when I noticed this? I've been gone for several months and it was the first one I went too. Don't give up so damn easily. I swear. BE site operators have such little staying power.  
I hope you reconsider taking it down, as I was looking forward to any future development on the site.

I personally hope you reconsider.  

Don't make me hurt you!