Let me introduce myself first.  A lot of you may know me as Alucard, the artist who's done those Anime-Chelsea Charm drawings(if you don't believe me just check my email address).  

Anyway, My question is kinda off topic I know, but I need some help.  I work for a local XXX movie distributor known as BIG E Entertainment.  Some of you may remember them from ebay.  Well, ebay with their shitty rules kicked them off and now they're selling purely off their website.  
www.bige.cc

That's where I come in.  I'm the webmaster for the site.  It's been up since late January.  Now you're probably wondering what's the Question.  

This is the question:  Since we've been up, we haven't exactly had a load of business.  Sure we've had a lot of hits(Getting close to 600) but we haven't had as many sales.  They sell all their movies at Ultra Cheap prices($8.75 US is the cheapest), they're not Burnt copies, and the library is big and it's getting bigger by the week.  So my question is, what are we doing wrong?

I don't want this post to be seen as spam.  I'm not blatantly plugging the site I work for.  I am just asking for help.  It seems that we get a lot of people looking but not many buying.  

What I am asking for is some advice.  Or actually what would get you to make a purchase?  And, what would(or is) causing you not to buy?  

NOTE: I have recently been adding descriptions to the titles as of last week, so some of the titles are without description.  Also, within the next few weeks we will be adding a VHS catagory.

Please, any response (Email or post) would be a help.

The URL again is http://www.bige.cc

[ March 14, 2002: Message edited by: Adrian Blakhart ]

MunchWolf

• What Tagline?
Re: Kinda off topic, but I need to know, WHAT ARE WE DOING WRONG?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2002, 01:23:00 AM »
Location, location, location

ok, maybe that doesn't work on the net, but how about:

Name recognition, name recognition, name recognition

Until you posted, I had not seen you name or company before (nor can recall seeng them).  Find a friendly website or two to help spread you name.  Also, maybe get R&D to do a review of your stuff.

-Munch "My 2 cents" Wolf

Imaginos

• Former BEA Webmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2002, 02:59:00 AM »
Thats a good call Munch.

Do you have clips available?
Do you have images of the covers?
Is your order form painless to fill out (ie easy?)

Is your html / site look clean and navagatable?

Is it easy on the eyes?

Does it lead people where you want it to?

Imaginos

Imaginos

• Former BEA Webmaster
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2002, 03:06:00 AM »
Ok i just checked out your site.

My suggestions are to redo your html. IF you are going to use black use a color to compliment it some greens or oranges / burgandy.  Don't overdo the colors though.

Table your categories and products instead of just centering everything. add some slight color variations to the cells of your tables, gives them more life.

Give a hint of what the site is about on your warning page.

Reciprocate links to afflilates or other sites. Not the greatest thing for a business but for a small one it can help alot.

check out that naughtybids auction site if you still want to go that route

Imaginos

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: Imaginos ]

Kanodin

• Banned User
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2002, 03:30:00 AM »
Woah Imaginos.  Have you suddenly turned over a new leaf to lead a balanced life?  What is up with that center alignment?  

[ March 15, 2002: Message edited by: Kanodin ]

BillN

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2002, 05:56:00 AM »
Give out FREE SAMPLES!!!  

JustMeMike

• F Cup
    • The Arts
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2002, 06:51:00 AM »
Adrian - I have sent you an email. Also On Video would be happy to run a few reviews on some of your products.

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2002, 12:24:00 AM »
Crap!!

I never expected this many responses in a short period of time.  Thanks guys.  Especially Imaginos.  I'm gonna make some changes to the site within the next few days.

Thanks again guys.

MrHHH

• L Cup
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2002, 05:58:00 AM »
Put up a picture of the box next to each title. A link to a review or a summary is needed also.

Both of those have been added to the boxes to INCREASE sales. Otherwise all XXX movies would come in plain white boxes that on't display the title.

bustykathi

• D Cup
    • www.bustykathi.com
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2002, 08:11:00 AM »
Also, since you're accepting PayPal payments, use their software to create a shopping cart to make ordering that way easier for your customers.  

Candye Man

• E Cup
    • iCandye
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2002, 10:37:00 AM »
My two cents:

On your front page, the text doesn't wrap correctly, at least in my browser (IE5).  One line of text is full-length, the next line has only one or two words, all the way down the page.

I'd suggest replacing the black b.g. with a simple tiled texture, something that will load easily yet give you a little more pizzaz.  Try these guys if you just want to experiment with some free stuff.

Mostly, study the design of some other really good-looking web pages.  Yours is perfectly functional, just lacking flair.

And yes, follow Munch Wolf's advice.  Good luck!

Too much of a good thing is WONDERFUL.  -- Mae West

MunchWolf

• What Tagline?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2002, 12:08:00 AM »
So should everyone always follow my advice or just in this case?

-Munch "I am the Pumpkin King" Wolf

Imaginos

• Former BEA Webmaster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2002, 05:14:00 AM »
Kanodin   the html tag i put in my post worked instead of showing up. forgot to change that.

Adrian you are welcome. there is some great advice.

On wrapping text. usually this is caused when you force a line to break with the br command. Try placing your text inside a table cell. It should wrap to within that cell and you can control its width.

Tables are your friends  

Imaginos

BillN

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2002, 05:47:00 AM »
The Munch hath spake!

Bill "and I suppose if Munch Wolf jumped off of the Brooklyn Bridge you'd jump too"N