AnyOldJoe

• C Cup
    • homepage.ntlworld.com/inanordinaryworld
Technical Problems with the Bearchive
« on: July 07, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
Yet again I am struggling to get onto the Bearchive to the point of me having no reponse whatsoever and all pages timing out!!

But how have I been able to enter this eMail I hear you cry? Well, at least I thought you did.

By pinging the DNS name and using the IP address of the server instead. Then saving the source code on my PC and changing the bloody URL to the IP address for bosting this form.

This is one for the Webmaster. It looks fromm my side of the Atlantic to be a problem with DNS lookups and for the life of me I don't knwo what it is.

But next time anyone of you has a problem replace www.bearchive.com  with 216.161.153.166 in your address box and 216.161.153.179 for forum.bearchive.com.

Oh and while we're at it can you remove the fully qualified hrefs so I can post this blasted message easier and see all the graphice which are missing. Arrgh!!

Frustrated from 'uddersfield.

Any Old Joe

Escher

• C Cup
    • Cgurl
Re: Technical Problems with the Bearchive
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2001, 09:58:00 AM »
Also posting from the UK, not had any probs, maybe your ISP ?

ThisIsNotMyName

• The Circle Squared
  • Or is it???
    • BEhavior
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2001, 09:29:00 PM »
If you're getting DNS failures, don't lay all the blame on the BEA servers. (Not that they don't suck wind, but their job doesn't include DNS lookups.) A Domain Name Server does just one thing: convert the name www.bearchive.com (or any other website name) into an Internet Protocol number, which is how web addressing really works. If you can't get the name to surf but the numbers go right through... go give your ISP a swift kick in the yarbles. It's their job to keep their DNS server running, and their problem when it doesn't.
TransPonder   

AnyOldJoe

• C Cup
    • homepage.ntlworld.com/inanordinaryworld
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2001, 07:33:00 AM »
Transponder,

I know exactly what you are saying, but in the past changing ISP made no difference (I had three free accounts)
What worries me is that a whole host of regulars suffer on a regular basis. I know NTL are not the best ISP in the world but what I get for what I pay (nothing) is pretty good and it is only the BEA I ever have consistent problems with.
There must be a more global cure out there somewhere and I wasn't the only one to raise the issue at the backend of last week.
I'm not shooting the messanger here, I just want to raise the issue because at the end of the day the site may well suffer because of time out problems and I could never do without it.

Any Old Joe