Kyrion

• D Cup
Re: Gripe session... =^_^=
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 06:59:07 PM »
</font><blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />
I don't know... letting people like me blow off steam without wrecking someone else's work (even if the part I'm annoyed it is someone else wrecking the work) seems like a pretty good reason to me.

<hr /></blockquote><font class="post">
Ah, so <em>that's</em> where we disagree. I think that blowing off steam at someone else's expense never helps.

<ul><li>I'm not familiar with the "Mr. Black" character that you use in several of your examples. I've seen a few episodes that referenced him (Usually in connection with Sharon), but I don't have enough of a grasp on the character to think about using him in an unrelated thread. I gather that he's a pretty stereotypical villain, though.
Mod edit to remove references to a m1nor. No content involving m1nors is allowed anywhere at the BEA including the Plume forum or Addventure itself. If anyone sees some, they should PM a forum mod IMMEDIATELY so it can be removed. Thank you. -Palomine

What you just wrote, I think, demonstrates one of the pitfalls of a gripe session. You could write a perfectly good story where this isn't true. Would you write an angry letter to Cartoon Network complaining that there's just no way Superman could possibly keep his secret identity by putting on a pair of glasses?

In a superhero story, you don't even need a handwave; if you have a secret identity, no one recognizes you (and gets away to tell the tale). Mod edit to remove references to a m1nor. No content involving m1nors is allowed anywhere at the BEA including the Plume forum or Addventure itself. If anyone sees some, they should PM a forum mod IMMEDIATELY so it can be removed. Thank you. -Palomine

The episode you name was probably an oversight, but it is not a plot hole. You could take it and run with it in several interesting directions. This particular gripe is unjustified, and a vigilante thread-killing would be even more so.

By the way, Mr. Black is indeed a villain from the Addventure. He was in Adama's character index last I looked, but IIRC he first showed up as an evil businessman who did various unethical things to Sharon on her first day on the job, which is what brought him to mind.

I think it's a good idea. Personally, I'd vote to leave the existing BEAddVenture intact and still working - there's some good shit in there, after all, and some ripe threads waiting for someone to develop them - alongside the new one. And I think that most of the suggestions made (adding new choices after the fact, allowing for author editing with limits, and so on) are good ideas. The only idea I don't agree with is the "Comments" section on each chapter. In places that I've seen things like that implemented, they often turn into rolling flamefests, even when useful commentary is offered.

Gripe session threads on the Plume are no different, except that fewer people will read them and they're more likely to happen behind the author's back, giving him no chance to defend himself.

If the majority of the regulars (or even a single Admin) wants me to shut the hell up, I'll do that. But I think that I can be a valuable voice here.

Don't worry. No one will order you to shut the Hell up. I'm giving you some friendly advice: constructive criticism is more valuable than gripes.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:56:45 PM by Palomine »

Nekojin

• D Cup
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 08:42:06 PM »
Quote:

Ah, so <em>that's</em> where we disagree. I think that blowing off steam at someone else's expense never helps.

We disagree on several matters, I think, but hashing it out here is rather pointless - unless you're the person who wrote that chapter?

Quote:

This particular gripe is unjustified, and a vigilante thread-killing would be even more so.

Your insistence that my gripe is unjustified is just as biased as my insistence that the chapter is flawed. And putting words in my mouth (or inferring something that I didn't say) is worse. If I were to write one of the chapters off that one, it would be with the intention of bringing it back to the existing continuity - or, more accurately, my take on the continuity. Granted, the continuity for that storyline is rather minimal at this point, but it does exist. I wouldn't "kill the thread;" I feel that would be even more of a disservice to the project than people writing without the slightest clue about - or interest for - the continuity.

On a mostly-unrelated note, I'm rather pleased that my additions to a 6-month-inactive section has borne fruit - several people have followed up to my chapters in the AutoMorph plot thread. =^_^=

Nekojin  

Chuck

• E Cup
  • Bow down.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 08:49:25 PM »
Let's get some more gripes going.  ;)

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 04:04:35 AM »
Let's get some more gripes going.  ;)

Clearly for the last eight years everything in the addventure has been perfect. :)

Of course we now have the comment feature (thanks again, Adama), but that's not suitable for a lengthy debate, so this thread could still serve a need.
JH

Benji Dude

• G Cup
    • Yahoo groups - archive of my work
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
An option to edit our posts in the addventure would be nice, I keep spotting little grammer/ spelling mistakes on my posts and don't want to bother Adama with them all lol.

Chuck

• E Cup
  • Bow down.
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:31 PM »
An option to edit our posts in the addventure would be nice, I keep spotting little grammer/ spelling mistakes on my posts and don't want to bother Adama with them all lol.

I agree, great idea. It would also let me cover up continuity errors that happen when I want to extend a thread I haven't touched for eight years, and I'm too lazy to go back and read a bunch of back story.

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2012, 03:24:56 PM »
How do we do that without letting other people edit your episodes too?  The idea of requiring authors to register has been suggested before, and been unpopular.
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

Chuck

• E Cup
  • Bow down.
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »
How do we do that without letting other people edit your episodes too?  The idea of requiring authors to register has been suggested before, and been unpopular.

I'm okay with registering as long as its free!

Benji Dude

• G Cup
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 12:12:13 PM »
Maybe require a password to be created for each episode (set by the author).  They have to put in the password for any edits to be made.

I realise it'd be yet another field to filled in before a new episode is published but I wound't mind if it meant I could go back and fix mistakes.

Or, as another idea could the system use ip address as a means of making sure only the author (and yourself Adama of course) could make changes.

Chuck

• E Cup
  • Bow down.
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
Maybe require a password to be created for each episode (set by the author).  They have to put in the password for any edits to be made.

I realise it'd be yet another field to filled in before a new episode is published but I wound't mind if it meant I could go back and fix mistakes.

Or, as another idea could the system use ip address as a means of making sure only the author (and yourself Adama of course) could make changes.

Those ideas aren't bad at all.

Benji Dude

• G Cup
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2012, 07:33:07 PM »
Yeah occationally my brain gets into gear and works. :D

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2012, 11:56:11 PM »
Maybe require a password to be created for each episode (set by the author).  They have to put in the password for any edits to be made.

Rather than a password for each episode, it would make more sense to create an optional registration with its own password.  Then you could just identify yourself (using your login password) when creating the episode, and then again if you want to edit it...

The IP address is an unreliable means for identifying a user; one person might submit from multiple IPs (especially if they use a laptop), and IPs that are shared by common ISPs could also be shared between authors.  I know the IP a lot of my episodes were submitted from is also commonly used by one other author, and I know we're not the same person.  :)
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2012, 01:13:15 PM »
It might be possible to use cookies to make it so that only the author could edit an episode. (Strictly it would be anyone on the author's computer, I suppose.) I think that's how Extend-A-Story manages it. Of course, if people want to use more than one computer it wouldn't work well, but I would have thought that only a small minority would want to do that frequently.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 01:28:59 PM by JH_ »
JH

Chuck

• E Cup
  • Bow down.
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2012, 07:07:11 PM »
It might be possible to use cookies to make it so that only the author could edit an episode. (Strictly it would be anyone on the author's computer, I suppose.) I think that's how Extend-A-Story manages it. Of course, if people want to use more than one computer it wouldn't work well, but I would have thought that only a small minority would want to do that frequently.

I use at least four computers to write here.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »
I use at least four computers to write here.

If you want to do something like make a spelling correction, though, mostly you will spot the problem immediately after submitting the episode (at least if you are anything like me), in which case you will still be on the same computer.
JH