D&D
« on: December 22, 2001, 07:34:00 AM »
whatever happened to the attempt at running it here?

-Munch "just curious" Wolf

Groblek

• C Cup
    • crackers.andcheese.org/erotica/
Re: D&D
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2001, 11:00:00 AM »
Umm, I think it kinda stalled.  I'm still interested, but I just hit a period where I didn't have time for stuff - finals, then I was out of regular net access for a while.  Amy chance of reviving the idea?  Ton, Mello, what do you think?

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2001, 01:36:00 AM »
Ah crud... I thought that was nothing more than a running gag...

(GaD, I'm dim)

But really how would do such a thing on the Plume. Ive seen attempts of gaming on the net and it's often craps out after the first few encounters...

Breasts grow - that's BE... what happens after that is irrelevant.
--Prophet Tenebrae---

Leviathan

• G Cup
    • www.angelfire.com/ms/LeViAtHaN
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
Besides, isn't the whole point of D&D to be with friends face to face and interact with them? It seems to me like participating in a net-based D&D adventure would take most all of the elements that make it fun in the first place.

Most forum environments are just a place for people to share opinions. And it feels good to imagine that there are lots of people out there listening to your opinions. Even if you are arguing or sharing information, you're still mostly just trying to get your opinions across.

So it seems to me that a D&D adventure on the net and especially on a forum wouldn't work because the adventure would basically keep breaking down into people just sharing their opinions about whatever topics they were interested in. After all, isn't that what happened with the whole D&D thread to begin with? People just talked and talked and talked about starting it, without ever actually starting it.

At least, that's my opinion anyway.  

Leviathan

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2001, 09:40:00 PM »
How could you tell if the other players arent cheating???  

Zorlond

• G Cup
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2001, 11:55:00 PM »
Actually, table-top RPGs do work on the net. For a few years, I frequented the vast array of MUDs, MUSHes, etc, all of which are either variants of various RPGs, or direct 'ports. In such cases, it's the computer system running the game that insures players do not cheat (though there are still ways to cheat, it's just outside the reach of non-hackers).

I, myself, am not a fan of D&D, it's far too easy to end up with a bunch of 'clay pigeons', characters devoid of any character, simply there for their stats.

Anyone familiar with White Wolf's World of Darkness? It seems to me a system like that would be far more suitable for a forum environment.

"Don't you dare call me irrational! You <i>know</i> that makes me <b>CRAZY!!</b>"

MBunny

• Time Knight
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2001, 07:30:00 PM »
id recomend an aohell chat room so youd have the dice option so you know they wouldnt be cheating but thats just what i know
onuka or konuka hmm.. i think ill try this.

F_Cup_Fitzgerald

• Banned User
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2001, 06:55:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by Zorlond:
I, myself, am not a fan of D&D, it's far too easy to end up with a bunch of 'clay pigeons', characters devoid of any character, simply there for their stats.

I agree, Zorlond. I always forced myself, whenever I rolled-up a character, to play with the first six numbers I rolled. Sometimes they didn't survive, but it was far more interesting than picking and choosing until everything was over 12.

If you want real fun in a D&D campaign, try playing a character with a "3" in anything.

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2001, 07:09:00 AM »
Hey it's not easy playing a character with high every thing except INT. you can't come up with plans frequently everyone tells you your character is stupid when you know that allready ( i.e. your character is so dumb that it makes an ogre look like a genious.)
gets very annoying.  

MBunny

• Time Knight
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2001, 07:14:00 AM »
oh come on its not that bad if you have the software to create your charecters it comes with the players handbook when you buy it i know this because i play D&D in real life almost every week
onuka or konuka hmm.. i think ill try this.

Zorlond

• G Cup
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2001, 01:37:00 AM »
quote:
Originally posted by F-Cup Fitzgerald:
If you want real fun in a D&D campaign, try playing a character with a "3" in anything.

The moment I read this, I started envisioning some unlucky character with a 3 Dexterity... And realized it'd be nearly impossible for anyone to hit him, since he'd be -constantly- bumping into his opponent, falling over railings, tripping over his own feet, dropping his weapons on everybody else's feet, so on, so forth...

"Don't you dare call me irrational! You <i>know</i> that makes me <b>CRAZY!!</b>"

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2002, 12:58:00 AM »
Dude, _I_ used to do that on PURPOSE.  :P  (I'm thinking specifically of this one Paranoia session, where somebody shot at my character and right at that moment, my character _conveeeeeniently_ just HAPPENED to trip on a root and fall down...)  

I'm also remembering a Halfling Thief with 16 Dexterity who once took something like TEN TRIES to pick a really simple lock, because of bad luck with dice rolling...

Then there was the time I swung my sword at a goblin and missed so badly my sword got _stuck_ in the wood of the door BEHIND me... :P

Hee.

As for doing it here on the board, I'm still for it!  If we could ever work out exactly what we're doing and so forth.  I don't know about anybody else, but _I_ wouldn't cheat.  I would rearrange the numbers I was given, but not re-roll.  And for me, it's ALWAYS about the character as a _person_, NOT the stats.

Mello

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2002, 01:03:00 AM »
Let me rephrase that:  By "doing it here on the board", I meant PLAYING D&D, you perverts!

(I just KNOW somebody is going to "accidentally" misconstrue that, so I thought I'd get there first and save you the trouble.)  

(Dumb question here, anybody else played Phantasy Star Online?  I wonder how the heck the Force Newmans manage to run around the jungle in THOSE shoes without breaking their ankles...)

Mello

Kyrion

• D Cup
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2002, 04:04:00 AM »
I'm more to blame than anyone else, I suppose. Happy New Year.  

I've seen some nice episodes in the Addventure since I got back from vacation, and it's always good to see an update of the story archive. (Should we be pestering Plato Voltaire instead of MarkT? There always seems to be an update whenever a new Blue Undercover comes out.) If so many of the active threads weren't TV-themed, I'd probably add something. Nothing against the medium; I just don't own one, so I'd be out of my element.

OK. I've been involved in play-by-e-mail D&D games before. One of them has a lot in common with a bird, a bicycle, or a shark: it either keeps moving or it crashes. They can work well if the players and the DM communicate smoothly and stay on the same page. Unfortunately, that wasn't what happened. Because the problems wouldn't have been solved by a public argument, and the other person apparently didn't want me to have any way to contact her privately, my hands were tied.

Back to the present, though. I have less free time than I did back then, and I've found that preparation, especially NPC creation, takes much longer in 3E. I might play in someone's campaign, but I couldn't be the DM until later. If anyone else is interested, I'd suggest buying the Player's Handbook now if you're going to, since the price is supposed to go up in a matter of days. Otherwise, the SRD has been updated since my last post. It's still not (intended to be) a perfect replacement, but it makes a good rules reference.

Groblek

• C Cup
    • crackers.andcheese.org/erotica/
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2002, 11:11:00 AM »
Well, I won't volunteer for the role of DM - I'd be willing, but experience shows that I'm really bad at it.  Oh, and on the subject of scores of "3" - the character I want to use is a reincarnation of my favorite of the characters I ever had, where I rolled an 18 and a 3 in the same set of six die rolls - a wizard with 18 intelligence and 3 wisodm.  Talk about potential for silliness.  
I do hope we manage to get one running - I'm open to whatever system people want to use, but I'll have to learn the rules for most of them.