Zorlond

• G Cup
Re: D&D
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2002, 01:01:00 AM »
Well, I'm up for joining in, if things do get started. I can't GM, though, I can't think on my feet well enough. Like I said before, I think WoD would do well in this medium, but D&D's okay with me too.
"Don't you dare call me irrational! You <i>know</i> that makes me <b>CRAZY!!</b>"

F_Cup_Fitzgerald

• Banned User
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2002, 01:19:00 AM »
Hmm . . . isn't an 18 INT and a 3 WIS what the football players and cheerleaders in high school referred to as a "nerd"?

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2002, 01:34:00 AM »
Hey the character generator for D&D sucks
it defeats the purpose of rolling up your own characters. With dice you know it's you who created the character It allows for a good base because you had a hand in creation it also makes you think "ok now how can i get around that score??"instead of the clay pidgeon effect mentioned earlier in the post.  

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2002, 01:36:00 AM »
by the way that is only demo software AND IT'S CRAP!!!!!    

Kyrion

• D Cup
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2002, 05:31:00 PM »
I'd recommend the character generator for players learning the system. It's a good walkthrough of character creation, but my group still fills out its character sheets with a pencil.

I don't see why you'd say that you don't "have a hand" in rolling your character. That's only true of the first set of rolls, which the program generates automatically. Players who want more control over their character's stats should click on the "Roll" button on the bottom left hand side of the screen. It will give you a choice of three methods, all of which let you switch your stats around however you want.

Since you can also alter your stats after you roll, you could also roll some real dice, and enter the results into the program manually.

MBunny

• Time Knight
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2002, 09:35:00 PM »
yes i know the demo version of that stuff is crap but it helps in charecter creation and btw if you really want a dm get the PH and tell me who alls gonna play because I have all the D&D 3E books neccessary and was about to start dmin in Forgotten Realms with some freinds
onuka or konuka hmm.. i think ill try this.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2002, 02:04:00 PM »
Had a D&D character back when I was in college with a 3 in charisma. Wore a mask a lot, and random people would still spit on him as he walked down the street. Then again, who expects a half orc assasin to be popular?

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2002, 11:55:00 PM »
Sorry I to have all the books neccessary for playing I dont mean to rant.
I once had a palidin with a 3 int due to the plans of a trio of drow our DM allowed into the games (we had started to use the forgotten realms book) well as it turned out they decided their drow would be triplets and worse than evil and since i had a palidin they (being stronger characters to begin with +2 to strenth wisdom and charisma)decided to beat me to a pulp repeatedly and some of the spells had lingering effect.

once again sorry for the ranting(but it feels good to get that off my chest)

PS it might be +2 to int not wis

[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: splicer ]

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2002, 11:43:00 PM »
Dumb question here, but what the heck does "WoD" stand for?  I should know, but it's not coming to me...

Mello

Zorlond

• G Cup
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2002, 12:10:00 AM »
WoD = World of Darkness. It's White Wolf's game universe, where all the nasties and evils and things that go bump in the night are free to do as they will in the modern world (or the equivalent, anyways). The primary five rulebooks are Vampire: The Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, Mage: The Ascension, Changeling: The Dreaming, and Wraith: The Oblivion.

As far as gaming systems go, I'd say WoD is one of the best around.

"Don't you dare call me irrational! You <i>know</i> that makes me <b>CRAZY!!</b>"

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2002, 07:26:00 AM »
Has any one ever heard of RIFTS??
It's a great game if you can get past character generation(the process takes roughly an hour to an hour and a half.)

Groblek

• C Cup
    • crackers.andcheese.org/erotica/
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2002, 12:40:00 PM »
RIFTS?  I started to learn that once, but then the GM turned stoner and stopped running the game.

Zorlond

• G Cup
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2002, 02:22:00 PM »
Played a game of RIFTS once. You're right, chargen was a pain in the butt. To top it off, our very first battle, my character got his head taken off by a rail gun. Half of the team joined him, in that same battle.

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2002, 05:29:00 PM »
I to have had experiences like that a trick is to have a character so bad ass no one will fuck with him.(i.e. a glitter boy,juicers,borg,psyionics,super hero deebees)Though you can play a low or no mega damage game.(after all most towns do not want to have a grip of people who can destroy most of the city in seconds.) This will also put emphasis on stealth instead of blow everything to hell and back. Even a dog boy can be an eccelent character. I think rifts poses an interesting challenge and a unique mix of technology,magic,mutation,and just plain strange things. If you were turned off by an almost instant death maybee the tone of the game was wrong for the character(more emphasis on destroy every thing in a ten mile radius.)and you should give it another shot.  

Zorlond

• G Cup
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2002, 05:47:00 PM »
splicer, we already had a Glitterboy (and a Dragon) in our group (more I can't recall), and we were only fighting ONE guy in a powersuit (don't recall just what it was, think it was just one or two steps down from Glitterboy). And we still got butchered.