presto

• D Cup
Best Program to view video clips? Help Please
« on: July 22, 2001, 05:41:00 AM »
All I want is to be able to easily set up a "Photo Album" which would show thumbnails of my video clips.  When I click on the thumbnail it plays the movie (no matter what format it is in as long as I have the correct viewer on my computer). I want to be able to add comments to each thumbnail and to organize them on different pages as I like.

This is not a lot to ask because there are many many program that almost do all of that.  

Living Album is a great program but does not handle mpgs and does not allow your computer to just use its own viewer.

There are lots of programs that make html thumbnail pages but they only handle avi if if they handle video at all.

There are dozens of photo album programs but they don't seem to realize that there is such a thing as moving pictures.  Or they handle only avi.

My big question is why do I seem to be the only one who is not happy with just handling video clips as computer files?  Don't you guys want to be able to organize pictures and text about a given model into a nice format and then be able to play the videos by just clicking on a thumbnail?  I think it is ridiculous to just a folder with dozens of clips of Virginia Bell and then just click thru them in order.

I did just find Thumbzilla which will make all the thumbnails I need from my mpgs and avis and I can then make web pages but what I really want is a program that does all that automatically after I just tell it what folder to look at.

Comments?  Suggestions?

sheber

• Shasta'man
    • http://www.bearchive.com/~shasta/
Re: Best Program to view video clips? Help Please
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
Sorry, every program I use has some sort of shortcoming. While irfanview does not read html, it will generate a thumbnail page. The latest version will play several video formats through a series of plug-ins. I then edit the html in Frontpage Express or Composer. Thumbing the first frame of a video file seldom portrays the content of the clip and irfanview is spotty on that regard anyway. So I'd suggest making a still at the same time as the clip and using that for the hyperlink. I know you know all this already, I'm just as curious to find an easier, better way.
[Rent this space]