gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
Instructions for using Google Reverse Image Search
« on: March 23, 2014, 10:14:59 PM »
We encourage everybody to use Google Reverse Image Search (GRIS) to make sure that the images you want to post aren't owned by prohibited sources and don't depict prohibited models. GRIS allows you to upload an image from your computer and search the web for images that closely match the uploaded picture. (So GRIS is also great for finding bigger, better versions of pics that you like, other photos from the same photoshoots, etc.! Hey neat!)

Here's how to use it:

1: Go to www.images.google.com.

2: Click the camera icon.

3: The "Search by Image" form is displayed. Click the "Upload an image" tab.

4: The image upload controls are displayed. Click "Choose File".

5: A file browser is displayed. Locate the image file on your hard drive, select it, and click "Choose".

6: Search results are displayed.

7: Expand images and look for photos with logos or other ownership marks on them.

8: If you find an ownership mark, visit the owner's website (if necessary) to verify that the content isn't owned by Score, Daktari Lorenz, etc., and that the model isn't on the list of prohibited models in the Forum Rules.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:07:17 PM by gonZo »

Liam

Re: Instructions for using Google Reverse Image Search
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:11:45 PM »
I'm not suggesting the following methods are better or faster than what's outlined above, but they are alternatives:

1) I usually have the relevant picture folder open in advance and then drag the thumbnail onto the search field.

2) But if the picture is online somewhere and I want to GRIS it, I use a Firefox plugin called... Google Reverse Image Search, by a fellow named Baris Derin.  Just right click on the picture, then left click "Reverse Search on Google".  It quite often get's an error but it works about 80% of the time.  I also have a plugin installed called TinEye Reverse Image Search which works in the same manner if I want to check TinEye.  These only work if the image can be viewed publicly, and not on photos that require being logged in to a site to see such as the attachments here on this forum.              
The M thread spammers are ruining this forum
Thousands of vacuous posts, no sense of decorum
Trolls, the chatroom creeper, and the uppity twat
All earned bans years ago but banned they are not
Thanks to delinquent mods that need to resign
But “it’s a thankless job” they’ve the gall to whine
While the site itself is a broken mess
And the people in charge just couldn’t care less

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
Good suggestions. The original instructions were based on what's available to all users on all platforms/browsers, so the icon-dragging option was omitted because it isn't universally accessible. It's a great time-saver if it works in your setup, though. Haven't tried the plug-ins recently, so I can't vouch for them.
_
gonZo

Liam

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 12:28:57 AM »
But if the picture is online somewhere and I want to GRIS it

This method works too: Obtain the picture's URL -- if possible -- then paste it into GRIS' search field and click the "Search by image" button.
The M thread spammers are ruining this forum
Thousands of vacuous posts, no sense of decorum
Trolls, the chatroom creeper, and the uppity twat
All earned bans years ago but banned they are not
Thanks to delinquent mods that need to resign
But “it’s a thankless job” they’ve the gall to whine
While the site itself is a broken mess
And the people in charge just couldn’t care less

arflech

• C Cup
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 05:17:57 AM »
I think the official "Search By Image" extension from Google (Chrome Web Store, idk whether it's available for Firefox) actually makes a hash of the image and sends that to GRIS, so you can use it on "deep web" images like this forum's attachments; unfortunately a similar feature is not available in Image Search Options, which is useful for combining two general engines (GRIS and TinEye) with two specialized images (IQDB and SauceNAO) and the ability to add more and tweak the actual URLs used to access each service.

fattyjack

• A Cup
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:17:49 AM »
wow... i never know that there is such a function....

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »
Also good to note: if you are logged into any Google Account while using GRIS, a copy of the search is stored on Google's servers and is attached to your Google Account as well. For this reason, I always make sure to log out of my Google Account (i.e. log out of Gmail, Google Voice, Picasa, etc. etc. etc.) before using GRIS either directly, or via the Firefox Add-on, or via the Chrome Extension.

Since TinEye throws away your image/search within 72 hours if you remain unregistered, I tend to prefer using it instead of going through the trouble of logging out of (say) Gmail every time I want to use GRIS.

TinEye Reverse Image Search:
Firefox Add-on
Chrome Extension
Safari Plugin
for Internet Explorer
Opera Addon
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.