nycetee

• A Cup
Late to the party... AKA problems with Dell computers
« on: July 26, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »
Man!  I feel like I've been gone for years, but now that my battles with Dell are over (another story), hpoefully I can visit with a little more regularity...<P>Now, I was reading the "Yahoo Briefcases" topic, and it was suggested to "copy and paste" the URL in order to gain access...can anyone explain how this is done?<P>Thanx in advance....<P>NT
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 02:22:27 PM by Palomine »
NT

BillN

• ZZZ Cup
Re: Late to the party...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2001, 11:21:00 PM »
Just left click and drag on the posted URL, right click and select "copy", then go up to the location line of your browser, right click and select "paste".  The purpose of this is to fool the yahoo turds that have started locking out the adult websites.  However, you probably will get a "server overloaded" message.  This means that the cheap shits at yahoo have remove all but a piddlingly few resources to support adult sites.  

No, I'm not bitter...why do you ask?

jm19

• B Cup
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2001, 05:58:00 AM »
I fix computers for Dell, and I'd just like to say that I feel your pain.  At least you managed to survive the gauntlet known as Dell Tech Support...talk about your oxymorons.

RDaneel

• F Cup
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
And I just bought a Dell 330 workstation...

RD

Intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

nycetee

• A Cup
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2001, 01:11:00 AM »
Thanx BillN...and as for those other comments about Dell...All I have 2 say is: #%?$@! right!
NT

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2001, 09:52:00 AM »
Let me get this straight... Dell have their problems right? I own one and I think my DVD rom is bad but the diagnostics does'nt agree.

Sigh I guess I have to dell with tech support again.  

Breasts grow - that's BE... what happens after that is irrelevant.
--Prophet Tenebrae---

AgentDee

• Boob, James Boob
  • I LOVE GIANT TITS!
    • AgentDee's Youtube Page
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2001, 01:58:00 PM »
I personally think Dell sucks, and id LOVE to bitch slap STEVE.  I waited on hold for 45 minutes just to have them tell me they cant help me unless i know the name and the address of the purchaser of the computer (it was my cousins computer, and my uncle paid for it, but didnt have his new address)
Want a custom avatar?

"Well gosh, breast men are the best men, you know, *giggles* I love you all."
"You know your boobs are too big when a guy stands up to let u thru to your seat and despite him leaning back I boobed him back in his seat."
Chelsea Charms

Special Agent: Dee
MiB; Division 6, NYC

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 02:53:37 PM »
I personally think Dell sucks, and id LOVE to bitch slap STEVE.  I waited on hold for 45 minutes just to have them tell me they cant help me unless i know the name and the address of the purchaser of the computer (it was my cousins computer, and my uncle paid for it, but didnt have his new address)

If you're going to b1tch slap anyone, it shouldn't be Steve (the annoying "Dell Dude" who appeared in their '00-'03 commercials, portrayed by actor Ben Curtis ...pic attached) but probably Michael Dell the company founder and CEO.

I'm bumping this thread (and moving it to the computer forum too :P) to mention that in my recent experience (within the past 10 years or so) the most reliable AND the least reliable desktop computers I owned were both Dell products from the mid-2000s. The most reliable is the one I still currently use as my main PC: a humble Dell Optiplex 330 (actually made for them by Foxconn, which probably explains why it's so reliable) from around 2006 (different than the 330 workstation that RDaneel posted about below 15 years ago) and the least reliable was a dual-Xeon Dell Precision 650 workstation which was, most of the time and despite costing much more, a noisy, creaking, overheating piece of crap.

I'm sure I've posted some deets about both of those machines over the years, since I've used each of them to spend countless hours here in this forum. ;)

Though big companies get sued routinely whether they do anything wrong or not, even the most objective observer would have to agree that Dell's been sued rightly quite a few times, some of which are detailed in this Wikipedia page dedicated to that very subject: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawsuits_involving_Dell_Inc. That last mention on the list: the 2010 suit alleging Dell knowingly shipped almost 12 million PCs with faulty components in them actually affected a couple of machines I owned.

Since 2013, Dell's a private company (not publicly held). Michael Dell spins this as being good for the company, but of course he's not about to say otherwise, let alone address any of the company's many misdeeds over the years. While my own experience with Dell products has been very mixed (and on average, below-average in nature) I've never had much dealings with the company itself (I never sought tech support from them for any of the problems I've encountered, nor did I participate in any of the class action suits against them). I'm not saying I'd never buy another Dell product, but I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to do so, or even consider one.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 01:03:16 PM by Palomine »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
Re: Late to the party... AKA problems with Dell computers
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2015, 05:55:25 PM »
Most of the computers (desktop and laptop) that I've used in the course of my (professional) work have been Dells. You remember the old "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" line from decades ago? I think it's changed to "no one ever got fired for buying Dell (though perhaps they should be)" :)
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.