JJ

• P Cup
Re: We Are All So Adult Now - but Remember When We Weren't
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2001, 11:32:00 AM »
These just sent to me by a friend:

Thought you might like to see these!!!
                                 Comments made in the year 1957:

”I’ll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it’s going
                          to be impossible to buy a week’s groceries for $20.”

”Have you seen the new cars coming out next year?  It won’t be long
                               before $5000 will only buy a used one.”

”If cigarettes keep going up in price, I’m going to quit.
                                   A quarter a pack is ridiculous..”

”Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to
                                         mail a letter?”

”If they raise the minimum wage to $1, nobody will be able to hire
                                    outside help at the store.”

”When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would
                                            someday
                    cost 29 cents a gallon.  Guess we’d be better off leaving the car in
                                          the garage.”

”Kids today are impossible. Those ducktail haircuts make it
                                           impossible
                   to stay groomed.  Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair
                                       as long as the girls.”

”I’m afraid to send my [censored] to the movies any more.. Ever since they
                    let Clark Gable get by with saying ‘damn’ in ‘Gone With The Wind,’ it
                         seems every new movie has either “hell” or “damn” in it.

”I read the other day where some scientist thinks it’s possible to put
                    a man on the moon by the end of   the century.  They even have some
                       fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas.”

”Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for
                                           $75,000
                   a year just to play ball?  It wouldn’t surprise me if someday they’ll be
                                  making more than the president.”

”I never thought I’d see the day all our kitchen appliances would be
                                           electric..
                           They are even making electric typewriters now.”

”It’s too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few
                         married women are having to work to make ends meet.”

”It won’t be long before young couples are going to have to hire
                          someone to watch their [censored] so they can both work.”

”Marriage doesn’t mean a thing any more; those Hollywood stars
                                            seem to
                              be getting divorced at the drop of a hat.”

”I’m just afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a
                                   whole lot of foreign business.”

”Thank goodness I won’t live to see the day when the Government
                                         takes half our
                     income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best
                                       people to congress.”

”The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I
                               seriously doubt they will ever catch on.”

”There is no sense going to Lincoln or Omaha anymore for a weekend.
                             It costs nearly $15 a night to stay in a hotel.”

”No one can afford to be sick any more; $35 a day in the hospital is
                                      too rich for my blood.”

”If they think I’ll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it.”

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: JJ ]

Member since June 01, 2001

Get most of your news from television and all you'll know is what the anchorette info babes (& guys) spin your way! (Maddow, Costello, Sawyer, Brzezinski, Mitchell, Scarborough,etc.  )

Get most of your news from television comics (Behar, O'Donnell, Stewart, Colbert, Sharpton, Letterman, Maher, Whoopi, etc.) and all you'll know is sarcasm and mordacity.

Vermillion

• F Cup
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2001, 05:05:00 PM »
In the good ol' days when you could get a comic book for 10-50 cents instead of the 3 dollar and higher price tag they have now....

When no one thought coke would be called classic coke and some weird hybrid would be called new coke.

Rubik's cubes, hula hoops and star wars figures were entertaining in the good ol' days instead of the pokeman and magic the gathering crap.

Using clearly understandable slang like "cool" instead of this confusing slang like "cutty". What is this "cutty" crap anyway?

In the good ol' days parents actually acted like parents instead of irresponsible children.

Back when i was young you'd never would have seen a 13 year old mother/father because they would actually be behaving like children rather than try to be adults prematurely.

Good ol' times were when you could get into a movie with a drink and snacks for under $10.  

Good ol' times were when you could leave your house and not worry about locking your doors.

There's no such thing as too much of a good thing.

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2001, 05:36:00 AM »
Checked it out at yesterdayland.  Craig Mercer's right.  It looks like that's our show, even though the name still doesn't turn the light on.  The pictures look right, but the name sounds odd.  All the memories indicate it's the show.

The blurb about it says it was "syndicated" in 1985.  It was on before then, around '82.  I'm dead sure of it.  It definitely came before Transformers in my chronology of toys-I-had-to-have.  Maybe the show had to be on for a long time before syndication because it was an import (a RACY import at that, according to the description).

Thanks for all the help.  That's one less thing in my head.  That's the trouble with being a lazy writer.  The mind never stops coming up with great stories and--if they're never written--they build up over time... and novels take up a LOT of memory.

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »
Y'all forgot several of the greatest points of my "childhood". The music the neighborhood ice cream truck ALWAYS played, the joy of discovering a neighbor got a new appliance to get the box it came in. "Borrowing" stuff from houses under construction to build a tree fort. Catching pollywogs. Road rash from wiping out on your bicycle (or some other contraption you made). Finding out you can not fly on wings you made from garbage bags and some plastic tubing...

I know I skipped more than a few skinned knees in this, but...

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
Just after I posted my last message, this came in my e-mail: Paul Harvey Writes:

We tried so hard to make things better for our [censored] that we made them worse.

For my grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meat  loaf sandwiches, I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.

I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car. And  I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to **82**.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in, I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother. And it's all right if
you have to draw a line down the middle of the room, but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother wants to tag  along, I hope you'll let him.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely. On rainy days when you have to catch
a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncool as your Mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory
soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it.  And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Christmas
time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness.  To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.

Written with a pen.  Sealed with a kiss.  I'm here for you

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2001, 03:52:00 PM »
Forgot one last childhood fovorite - Peanut Butter and Marshmellow Fluff Sanwiches!

Hoogleboogle

• E Cup
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 11:10:52 PM »
Remember when, indeed, sir.  
Boobs!

L_C_R_ANT

• E Cup
  • A guy from the beginning of time...
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 01:28:22 AM »
WOW... boy do I count myself as lucky... I think I can honestly say I grew up right on the hairy edge of the end of that era.  I can remember doing a lot of those things myself JMM, and I wasn't even born until 82  I grew up around video games and computers, but I had and played with a rubics cube, and the two or three other [censored] in the neighborhood around us, we all played with plastic swords and dart guns, and toy action figures and played some sports.  We would get into lots of trouble all the time.  And while my father did work, he worked at home.  So there was no "Wait until your father gets home!", my punishment was waiting for me as soon as I walked through the door, and whats worse I would get it again when my mother got home that evening!  

I can remember my father letting my play around in his electronics shop at home while he worked, and just wandering around, playing with an old spare Oscilloscope he had (like I really even knew what it was for ), looking at all the old and seemingly ancient electronics trying to imagine what they were, and what they did, and who might have used them before they became parts in my father's spare parts stock.

I can remember being so excited every week when it was time to mow the grass cause it ment that I could get my allowence and go buy a new toy or game or candy.  And I can remember enjoying doing the physical activity (boy there's a term that needs to be used more often ) of mowing the lawn.  That was one of many highlights of the week cause I got to drive the riding mower and there was 2 acres to mow.  And doing the week whacking round the trees to trim the grass around them was the same way.

I can remember picking up hedge apples around the property for a penny a hedge apple and being more than happy to do it, even though most times I maybe got $5 from an entire afternoon.

I can remember watching Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi when they aired it on TV.  Watching movies like The Last Starfighter, Tron, Star Trek 1-3 (I can remember seeing 4 in the theaters) and crying my eyes out when Spock died ( I still get choaked up when I see that capsule going into the torpeado tube and hearing Scotty playing Amazing Grace on the bag pipes).  

I can remember watching the Disney 2000 Legues Under The Sea as a kid and thinking how cool Captin Nemo and the Nautilus were.  I can remember watching Terminator as a kid! T2 was the first R rated film my parents let me see.  They had a habbit of recording almost any movie that ever aired on TV, so a lot of my days as a little kid were spent watching the sci-fi movies and fantasy movies that we had.  

I can remember watching The Dark Crystal and being conviced that the characters were really people.  I can remember watching the Disney Robin Hood (the one with the animals) and thinking that it was the greatest movie ever.

I can remember watching Alien at the age of ... 8-10 and REALLY feeling afraid. (It to this day is the only movie that will STILL make me jump).  And then seeing Alien 2 and thinking how cool Ripley looked in the loader at the end.

I can remember seeing the Princess Bride for the first time on TV and thinking THAT was the coolest movie ever.

I can remember playing Four Square and doing hot potato, Cherry Bombs, frogsies, and many others.  Can remember having to do Addition, subtraction, division, multiplication, fractions, and simple powers with out calculators even though we had them in class .  Doing Science fair projects.  Being in the school plays.  All sorts of stuff.

I can remember trying to play base ball with 4 people, (Me, my brother, my father, and my mother) and never really having it work, but was still fun as heck.

I can remember when heck was a naughty word!

I can remember when Pepsi AND mountian dew were in glass bottles.  And I can remember the bottle return and carrying the carttons of bottles in every time we went to the grocery.  Goin to the Dairy Queen for a coney and drink on a cool summer evening.  Waking up to watch the care bears, The Popples, Droids, The Ewoks, Dungeons and Dragons, Transformers, TMNT, Reboot, Captian N, Merry Melodies at 11:00 AM to noon every saturday on ABC.

I can remember when fried ballogna sandwiches WERE lunch and hot dogs WERE dinner.  And on saturday and sunday were family night where we had a big sit down meal together as a family, and watching Life Goes On.

Waking up every morning and being so excited when 11:00 AM rolled around, because my father would come in from the shop for lunch and we would watch The Price Is Right every Monday through Friday while we ate lunch.

Ah that was fun.... Thanks for bringing up all that old stuff. I enjoyed that.      
"When life hands you lemons, put em' in your bra. Couldn't hurt, might even help!"

"Never nock on Death's door... Ring the bell and run away! He hates that!"

"When playing poker with Death, he's always holding a Full House... It's just that 9 times outa 10, I'm holding a Royal Flush!"  --Me

"The main reason I'll gamble with Death is Fate cheats!"  --Me

Bizarro_Penguin

• D Cup
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 05:38:53 AM »
Wish I was a kid back in that era.. Sadly I missed it by quite some years. Oh well, childhood had it's shitty moments but it left a lot to learn from and stuff to remember.

I remember when hearing "Hell" was an "OMMMMM!!!" moment.. or when a kiss on the cheek or holding hands was something worthy of getting a whole classroom "Oooo!"ing at til your face wanted to burst into flame from the intense blushing..

Damn [censored] today! They no nothing of imagination or work or.. any of that stuff that childhood is really about. Most [censored] these days just know that mommy and daddy have money, and they want something because someone else suggested it.. bleh.

..Was that on topic? Hope so, that seemed kinda mean.. *Shrug, penguin noise*

I remember, back in the "old days".. Viewing a playboy was a Momentous, incredible feat that left you confused, feeling queasy.. and a sore ass if you got caught.  
Still unsure why that Penguin is blue.

Blax12

• M Cup
    • www.bearchive.com/~blax12
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 06:34:41 AM »
   I am born in 1975. So I crossed the 2 eras. Then I have grown in a suburban area of a small city.

When I was a kid, we used to get out of home in summer mornings, leaving our home doors open. We stayed out all day long, with a small break just for eating something at mid-day.

My mother says at evening any mother used to pick up a number of [censored] even to the number of [censored] she had at the morning, wash'em then they checked if they were their own [censored] . If a kid got hurted while playing, nobody got sued. You didn't make "sports", you just played. And the balls were like they had an engine in them. There was a soccer field: the game started at 10 am and used to keep on 'till evening, almost without a stop.

I also remember when giving a girl a kiss was something you can tell your friends, and everyone was asking you for hours how it was. Best friends and great loves could last one day, then leave, then come back.

At 13-14 (so I am talking about the beginning of the 90's) everything changed. I started frequenting the high-school in the city center. I don't know if it was only my life or the whole world which changed.  I just know I couldn't ever adapt to that thing: young guys wearing Armani, people looking at you like an alien if you eat a ham sandwich and not a yogurth for breakfast.

Blax12  

TittyMan

• B Cup
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 07:25:04 AM »
Great post man. I can't relate to all of it because I'm a young guy (18), but some of the childhood games and fear of ass whoppings are the same. In that sense, not much has changed between 1960 and 1990. Those were the good 'ol days.  
"I like when they jiggle..."

Prophet_Tenebrae

• Breast Prophet
  • Prophet Of Darkness
    • FTF10 - FTF Superblog
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 08:10:39 AM »
Yo, L_C_R_ANT - 80s [censored] unite! The reason for the decline in society can clearly be linked to the lack of good cartoons (although of late that situation has improved). But after the awesomeness of Transformers, He-Man, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and so on - the early to mid-90s were a barren wasteland of nonsense.

Plus, none of them had the moral at the end of the show like He-Man did.

McAngus

• B Cup
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 09:37:38 AM »
"I remember when hearing "Hell" was an "OMMMMM!!!" moment"

I had a comedy show on some east coast TV stations in 1982, and I couldn't say "hell" on air.  I did one episode in a cave that was supposedly in hell, so I had to call it "h-e-double toothpicks."  In fact, that was one of the first colour episodes on those stations, as they had just gone colour that year, but only the location stuff.  The studio segments of the first season of my show were in black-and-white!    

MunchWolf

• What Tagline?
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2004, 09:52:31 AM »
oooh ... I was living on the east coast in 82 ... what show?

-Munch "loved that channel 13" Wolf

Wolfman1066

• F Cup
    • getit.at/adventure
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2004, 10:10:49 AM »
The only thing I remember from that point in my life is Calvin and Hobbes.
Winner of "The cutest Name" in the rename Bambi contest, with "Bambi Bares'Em."

"A bust this big needs ample support." -Blue from Madam Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends
"Only one woman has a bust to match that bust." -Also Blue from Madam Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends