JustMeMike

• F Cup
    • The Arts
We Are All So Adult Now - but Remember When We Weren't
« on: July 28, 2001, 01:19:00 AM »
Yes - we are grownups and we spend a lot of time here talking about breasts and bras and cup sizes.

And some of us even still talk about removing those bras off the the girls wearing them.

But maybe you can recall when a bra-strap was something to tease a girl by yanking, sort of like a wedgie - except you yanked the strap and then ran - instead of yanking the guys underpants up and then stood around laughing as the guy had to undo the wedgie.

This has nothing to do with anything but brought back a lot of memories for me and maybe for others to.....when we didnt have a care in the world.

Take a moment to go back in time... Before the Internet or the MAC. Before semi automatics, heroin and crack Before SEGA or SuperNintendo...

Way back.... I'm talking about hide and seek at dusk. One potato, two potato, three potato, four. Red light, green light.
Hopscotch, kiss chasey, elastics, jacks, kickball, dodgeball.

The Corner Sweet Shoppe

Mother May I?
Hula Hoops.
Running through the sprinkler.
Milk moustaches.
An ice cream cone on a warm summer night- chocolate or vanilla or strawberry.

Watching Saturday morning tv... Hey Hey its Saturday, Marty Monster, Fat Albert, The Groovy Goolies, Gigantor, Road Runner, Penelope Pitstop and Bugs Bunny.

Short, 15 second commercials on TV.

A million mosquito bites around your ankles from that day in the woods.

Sticky fingers - from eating cotton candy.

Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, Zorro. Climbing trees.

Walking to school, no matter what the weather.
Running till you were out of breath.
Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt.
Jumping on the bed. Pillow fights.
Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.
Being tired from playing.... remember that?

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
War was a card game.
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.

Baseball cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle.
Eating Cheerios right from the box.

Remember when there were two types of sneakers for girls and boys and
the only time you wore them at school, was for "Phys.Ed.", also known as 'gym class'.

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best" friends.
When nobody owned a purebred dog.
When twenty cents was decent pocket money, and another twenty cents a miracle.
When milk went up one cent and everyone talked about it for weeks?
When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.

When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gasoline pumped, without asking, for free, every time.

When nearly everyone's Mum was at home when the [censored] got there.
It was magic when dad would "remove" his thumb.
When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.

When any parent could discipline any kid, or use him to carry groceries,
and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When they threatened to keep [censored] back a grade if they failed ..and did! When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives - you just wait until your father comes home, when he finds out what you did - but it wasn't because of drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! And some of us
are still afraid of them!!!

Decisions were made by going "Eeny-meeny-miney-mo".
Mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "Do over!".

"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly.
Worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "germs".

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot.
Nobody was prettier than Mum.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
Taking drugs meant orange-flavoured chewable aspirin.
Ice cream was considered a basic food group.

Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dare".

Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest  protectors.

If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!!

Pass this on to anyone who may need a break from their own "grown up" life...

I DOUBLE DARE YA!!

This is JustMeMike  

RobertaFan

• E Cup
Re: We Are All So Adult Now - but Remember When We Weren't
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2001, 03:08:00 AM »
Cheers, JMM. It reconfirms that I wouldn't trade places with these younger bucks for anything. I wouldn't want to be younger. I'll gladly take my older age; my memories, many written above, unfortunately have not been experienced by those who are younger.....

kids seem to have a harder time trying to be "kids" these days......

RF

JJ

• P Cup
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2001, 05:08:00 AM »
.........very nice & enjoyable piece JMM!

JJ

Member since June 01, 2001

Get most of your news from television and all you'll know is what the anchorette info babes (& guys) spin your way! (Maddow, Costello, Sawyer, Brzezinski, Mitchell, Scarborough,etc.  )

Get most of your news from television comics (Behar, O'Donnell, Stewart, Colbert, Sharpton, Letterman, Maher, Whoopi, etc.) and all you'll know is sarcasm and mordacity.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2001, 06:16:00 AM »
hmm, on my paper route it was $0.76 for a cheeseburger, fries and small coke at McDonalds. If I just got the coke, or a hot chocolate season pending it was $0.22 Oh yeah, at the time all there was was an awening and some picnic tables.

Life was simpler, but if you talk to someone who grew up in the 50's and not 70's as me, you'll get the same.

sheber

• Shasta'man
    • http://www.bearchive.com/~shasta/
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
You forgot to mention cooties.  
[Rent this space]

homevintner

• L Cup
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2001, 03:10:00 AM »
You read my mind sheber. Very nice piece, JMM, you hit it right on.                 How about mowing lawns for a few bucks, filling a 2 gallon gas can and getting change back from a dollar. Catching fireflies, pickup football and baseball in the school yard Saturday afternoons, or mom being the cub den mother?
"All religions seem to dislike breasts, but it's just the opposite with me." - Eric Idle

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2001, 12:24:00 PM »
Gigantor...  Gigantor...  Gigantor...

Is that the cartoon with the kid who has a space pod that he flies around in, then uses it to land in the head of a giant robot whose main weapon is fists that rocketed off and acted like homing missile?  The cartoon where one of his friends had her own robot that was pink and shot off her breasts in much the same way as the fists?

If it's not, does ANYone remember that cartoon and its name?  I've been going nuts for the last five years searching for the name of that show, but I've only found one person who even remembers watching that cartoon.  It aired somewhere between '80 and '82.

HEEEEEEELLLLLLP!

Craig_Mercer

• P cup
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2001, 02:03:00 AM »
Tranzor-Z aired in 1985 at the height of the Transformers/ Go-Bots phenomenon it was notable mostly for the extremely awkward way the title robot ran into battle and for the odd erotic touch of the femme robot with missle tits. Just another way that Japanese fetishism and other oddities invaded the states via seemingly innocent cartoon culture
take Pokemon Kissmee (?) for example it's plainly a "Black Mammy" creature complete with bug eyes and oversized breasts.
E N O R M O U S B R E A S T S
S O U S E M O N S T E R B R A
O R B S M E A S U R E T O N S

sheber

• Shasta'man
    • http://www.bearchive.com/~shasta/
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2001, 07:10:00 AM »
Ooh! Ooh! I've got one! "Clackers"! Anyone else remember them? Ahem. Okay, I'm better now. Thanks JMM, for the nostalgia. You brought back many fond memories.
[Rent this space]

Commish

• A Cup
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2001, 07:38:00 AM »
Luvtyger,

You can get some info and screenshots of Gigantor at yesterdayland.com that might help.  It's a pretty neat site when you want a small dose of the past.
http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/shows/saturday/sa1062.php

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2001, 05:04:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.  Tranzor Z doesn't ring the bell, though.  I think it was before Transformers and Go-bots.  It's definitely NOT Gigantor. 85' would have put me in fourth grade and it was much earlier than that. Around 82' (first-grade) seems to me to be the appropriate time.  I just remember sitting in class drawing my (simple) version of the robots with thunder in the background.  Huh.  I guess I don't get those brain cells back yet.  Thanks, anyway.  Hmmm...  What was that... (sigh)

Goldeneye

• The Midas Look
  • The Midas Look
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2001, 05:25:00 PM »
I loved your post, Mike.  I, quite young, was never imagined back then, but being a lover of things past and nostalgic and tending to snub modern times over days of old, I could feel the things you talked about in my heart as if I'd lived them.  And I have indeed done more of those things than most my age, so as a Gen-Xer, I'll consider myself having lived.      That sounds like something that would be forwarded through e-mail from office to office.  Did you write that yourself?  It was very good.

Commish, I envy you for beating me to the Yesterdayland link.    However, Luvtygre, even if the link Commish provided didn't lead to any answers, I think the site still may be of some help to you.  Go back to Yesterdayland.  Sign up for a Yesterdayland ID (free, like Yahoo, only friendlier and fairer).  Go to one of the many forums, probably the Lost and Found forum, and describe as much as you can of the memory of the cartoon you mentioned.  Yesterdayland just edges out the BEarchive as the friendliest and most eagerly helpful community of people I've ever seen online; they know their TV too, and I've no doubt you'll have a reply in no time.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »
Thanks for the nostalgia, JMM. Trouble is semi-automatics in the hands of the general citizenry pre-date my father, so I can't go back that far.  Most of the rest was very universal and quite a trip. For those of you hung up on Gigantor just substitute your favorite kid's show.  Like Captain Cody, Space Rangers, Space Angel, Clutch Cargo, Ruff & Ready, Johnny Quest, Tom Terrific, Sky King, Supercar, Stingray, Fireball Xl-5, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space,  and for all you Trekkers that were younger than 14 when Star Trek first appeared in 1967 just pick your favorite franchise.  JMM, see what you started?

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2001, 05:44:00 PM »
What a Difference 30 Years Can Make!

1970: Long Hair
2000: Longing for hair

1970: The perfect high
2000: The perfect high yield mutual fund

1970: KEG
2000: EKG

1970: Acid rock
2000: Acid reflux

1970: Moving to Calif. because it's cool
2000: Moving to Calif. because it's warm

1970: Growing pot
2000: Growing pot belly

1970: Watching John Glenn's historic flight with
  your parents
2000: Watching John Glenn's historic flight with
   your kids

1970: Trying to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor
2000: Trying NOT to look like Marlon Brando or Liz Taylor

1970: Seeds and stems
2000: Roughage

1970: Popping pills,Smoking Joints
2000: Popping Joints

1970: Our President's struggle with Fidel
2000: Our President's struggle with fidelity

1970: Paar
2000: AARP

1970: Killer weed
2000: Weedkiller

1970: Hoping for a BMW
2000: Hoping for a BM

1970: The Grateful Dead
2000: Dr. Kevorkian

1970: Getting out to a new, hip joint
2000: Receiving a new hip joint

1970: Rolling Stones
2000: Kidney stones

1970: Being called into the principal's office
2000: Calling the principal's office

1970: Screw the system
2000: Upgrade the system

1970: Peace sign
2000: Mercedes logo

1970: Parents begging you to get your hair cut
2000: Children begging you to get their heads shaved

1970: Taking acid
2000: Taking antacid

1970: Passing the drivers test
2000: Passing the vision test

1970: Whatever
2000: Depends

JustMeMike

• F Cup
    • The Arts
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2001, 09:26:00 PM »
Thanks guys - feel free to compile your own additions into this thread. to eDD - Your post was originally posted by me here on the BEA last year. But as long as we are dealing with nostalgic thoughts no problem. Except you left off my last one:

Breasts Out To Here
Breasts Down to There

JustMeMike  

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: JustMeMike ]