GoCubsGo

• X Cup
Google & Yahoo introduce video clip search services
« on: January 26, 2005, 01:33:09 PM »
http://www.suntimes.com/output/tech/cst-fin-emain26.html

Google, Yahoo introduce video clip search services

January 26, 2005

BY MICHAEL LIEDTKE ASSOCIATED PRESS

SAN FRANCISCO-- Google Inc. is using its popular Internet search technology to find information and images broadcast on television, continuing a recent effort to extend its reach beyond the Web.

The Mountain View-based company introduced the new video service Tuesday; it will be operated separately from the search engine offered on Google's home page. The feature pinpoints content previously aired on a variety of television networks by scanning through the closed caption text that many programmers offer.

Google's service, which began storing information last month, includes programming from ABC, PBS, Fox News and C-SPAN.

"We think TV is a big part of people's lives," said Jonathan Rosenberg, Google's vice president of product management. "Ultimately, we would like to have all TV programming indexed."

Search engine analyst Charlene Li of Forrester Research said Google's latest innovation is likely to disappoint many people because it doesn't provide a direct link to watch the previously broadcast programming.

Google instead is displaying up to five still video images from the indexed television programs, as well as snippets from the show's narrative. The search results also will provide a breakdown on when the program aired and when an episode is scheduled to be repeated. Local programming information will be available for those who provide a ZIP code.

Rival search engine Yahoo Inc. also has been tinkering with a product that finds video available for Webcasts. Hoping to counter Google's initiative, Yahoo planned to step up the promotion of its video search tools Tuesday.

If the Google and Yahoo services attract a following, more television programmers may be compelled to provide better online access to their content, Li said. "Video search is going to be a very long-term play."

The TV product represents Google's latest attempt to get a better handle on the reams of information that isn't stored on Web pages. The company recently set out to scan millions of books from several major libraries into its search engine and is offering a program that finds material stored on computer hard drives.

"I do have big tits. Always had 'em, pushed 'em up, whacked 'em around. Why not make fun of 'em? I've made a fortune with 'em."  (Dolly Parton)

"Jessica never tries to be sexy," Simpson tells GQ. "She just is sexy. If you put her in a T-shirt or you put her in a bustier, she's sexy in both. She's got double D's! You can't cover those suckers up!" (Jessica Simpson's FATHER !)

bibby

• B Cup
Re: Google & Yahoo introduce video clip search services
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 03:08:31 PM »
looks awesome, http://video.google.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2005, 10:13:50 AM »
yes! THIS MAKES THINGS MUCH EASIER
Can't be a lurker for life...

3pyon

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 10:18:03 PM »
untill some connoisseurs of BEA get on the google team, the video search is gonna be lacking

leaf

• E Cup
    • members.bearchive.com/~leaf
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 07:29:26 AM »
I've been looking through this thing for a week now, and it still blows me away what a huge resource this is. Just being able to search the CC text is huge, like this from Conan's interview with Denise Richards:

Quote:

... every woman's body changes a lot during pregnancy. Did yours change a lot?
>> Oh, yeah. It did. The stomach was out to here, and then the boobs out to here.
>> Conan: the boobs were literally out to here?
>> They were.
   [ Applause ]
>> Conan: don't applaud that. Please don't applaud that.
>> They weren't quite that big.
>> Conan: "yay, big boobs!" -- it's a new low in America -- it's a song I sing every now and then. Did that -- I mean that, it's troublesome, though, to have boobs that are out to there, I would imagine.
>> Well, they weren't quite out to there. They were -- you know, my husband liked it a lot.
>> Conan: yeah. He learned to live with it.
>> Yeah.

I agree. Yay boobs!  

sheber

• Shasta'man
    • http://www.bearchive.com/~shasta/
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 09:09:17 AM »
Now if only the video would become available...
[Rent this space]

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 12:49:33 PM »
Ancient news... no idea what, if anything became of this service. But I thought I'd bump in case anyone has info.