SwitcherX

• Legend
How to save streaming movies from websites
« on: March 14, 2005, 12:59:41 AM »
Here's a quick intro that will save movies from over 90% of the sites on the web.

-----------------------------------------------------------

1) Download and install Net Transport and Url Snooper 2.  URL Snooper 2 comes with WinPcap drivers.  You probably have to install them too.

2) Run URL Snooper 2 and click on the Options tab and then select your network card.  Click on the Search tab and for Protocol Filter pick all.  Sometimes things slip thru if you use 1 of the multimedia options.

3) Open up your favorite browser and go to a webpage that has a streaming video that you want to save.

4) Click on Sniff Network in URL Snooper 2 to start sniffing.

5) On the webpage that you went to, click on play movie or whatever to start playing the movie.  If the movie starts playing automatically when you go to the webpage, you should do step 4 before step 3.

6) Go back to URL Snooper 2 and in the main window you'll see a bunch of URL's listed.  One of them will be the URL for the movie.  Search thru the list and clikc on the URL that it is.  At the bottom of the window you should see it highlited.  Right click on it to save to the clipboard as ascii.

7) Start up Net Transport and click on the new button.  When the popup box comes up, paste the URL you saved in to the url field and click ok.  Net Transport will then go out and start saving the movie.  When it's done it'll put a check mark next to the file name.

-----------------------------------------------------------

URL Snooper 2 and Net Transport have a lot of options.  None of them were used in the above intro.  Read the documentation that comes with them to see what they are.  There are some nice ones that can make life easy.

Here are a couple of websites that will expand your streaming media capturing consciousness:

The Streaming Media Recording Forum

Net Transport Training Area
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

sheber

• Shasta'man
    • http://www.bearchive.com/~shasta/
Re: How to save streaming movies from websites
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 01:22:39 AM »
Many thanks! As it turns out, I only had half of the tools.
[Rent this space]

Angelusx

• P Cup
    • membersarea.bearchive.com/galleries/index.php?main=39&from=free
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 10:46:10 AM »
Also there are to other ways I know of, if the site uses quicktime or if that is your default player if you have the full version you can save movies. Or get flashget and copy the url to the movie file and start a new job that will also work, but probably not as well, as the method in the other post.

oh1costas

• A Cup
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 01:17:52 PM »
GOD BLESS YOU!

ElmerFudd

• Z Cup
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2005, 05:44:04 PM »
If you're REAL lucky, and you have free Quicktime, the following works in Firefox for Windows XP:

Play the movie, then go into your C drive
Click on Documents and Settings
Click on your account name (often YOUR name)!
Click on Application Data
Click on Mozilla
Click on Firefox
Click on Profiles
Click on your Profile (usually something like dslkhfkjshf.default)
Click on Cache
Sort it by Date
Something that looks like this:
85AC017Dd01
that is meg+ sized will be near the top, just copy it , paste it somewhere, and change it to:
somename.mov

Viola, the playable Quicktime Movie!

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 04:57:11 AM »
Quote:

GOD BLESS YOU!

*blush*  
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

-- Notty

Sonic_Morph

• F Cup
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 09:29:12 AM »
............or you could try this:  SDP Streaming Video Downloader

Works a treat.

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 03:17:58 PM »
Quote:

............or you could try this:  SDP Streaming Video Downloader

Works a treat.

It looks like it only grabs 1 streaming protocol.  Net Transport can grab everything.
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 10:49:19 AM »
WM Recorder is the best I have seen for capturing WMV/WMA files and the like. I don't really use NetTransport that much (although I do have it) -- looks like I should start doing so. I also recommend Streambox (if you can get it) for saving RealMedia stuff.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

BarnacleBill

• P Cup
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 04:26:06 AM »
thanks SwitcherX!

It took me awhile, but I finally figured it out.  It's weird that it brought out in me the same frustration I get when I'm working on my car....

Thanks a lot, figuring it out makes me feel just a little smarter than I was before and I need all the help I can get...
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
Simply go to:

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

and plug in your URL in the appropriate textbox, click the button, and there you go!

SwitcherX

• Legend
Quote:

Simply go to:

http://javimoya.com/blog/youtube_en.php

and plug in your URL in the appropriate textbox, click the button, and there you go!

But then you have to save it from there...
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

TheZookie007

• L Cup
...and your problem is...?

TheZookie007

• L Cup
More ways to save Flash movies from iFilm.com, YouTube, Google Video...
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2006, 08:12:13 PM »
It turns out that the JaviMoya site might have actually cribbed its code from another site. Up until a few days ago, JaviMoya had even cribbed this other site's look-and-feel. In any case, KeepVid does a very good job of saving Flash video from more than 30 sites like Google Video, iFilm, YouTube, Grinvi, ThatVideoSite, and more. Their short FAQ tells you how to convert the .FLV into other formats, too. Another site that purports to do the saving is FileLeecher.

If you want a standalone program to do the thing with, you can use Vdownloder, a program that can download videos from Youtube, Google video and Grinvi and then save them in AVI or MPG format.

A good site for more easily searching through YouTube for videos you want is  Qoogle. Just type in the search term in the box, and it brings up thumbnails and captions of the sought-after item. Click on the thumbnail and a pop-up vid player allows you to view it. Then pop the URL into KeepVid or whatever and it is on your hard disk.

And a good search engine for files on the RapidShare network is RapidShared.

Now, if anyone could tell me how to save those Flash videos from the AXE "Order of the Serpentine" site, or from news sites such as ABCNews.com, I would be a happy camper indeed!

Goldeneye

• The Midas Look
  • The Midas Look
Re: More ways to save Flash movies from iFilm.com, YouTube, Google Video...
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2006, 05:51:23 PM »
Perhaps stupid question, what do I need to play the YouTube files I download?