gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
Re: How to save streaming movies from websites
« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2009, 09:41:09 PM »
It works as you described in OS 10.6.x with Safari 4.0.3 and 4.0.4.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 04:22:53 PM »
I just came across this site.

<a href="http://orbitdownloader.com/" target="_blank">http://orbitdownloader.com/</a>

Apparently, it can download practically everything: streaming video, FLV files (like from YouTube), even those difficult to get embedded video like from Yahoo! Video or from sites like imeem or Last.FM. I will install it and try it out and tell you all how it goes.

Just a comment--Given how rigid both YouTube and Yahoo Video are about the content of video, I'm surprised you were able to find anything you wanted to download.   ;)
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
Just a comment--Given how rigid both YouTube and Yahoo Video are about the content of video, I'm surprised you were able to find anything you wanted to download.   ;)
You'd be surprised how much good stuff falls in the cracks :)

Update 1: ever since the Site Which Cannot Be Mentioned Here bought up imeem, life has sucked a bit for those of us who like to have MP3 versions of streaming music. However, with judicious use of Lala and the aforementioned Video DownloadHelper Firefox extension, you can still have quite a bit of joy.

Update 2: I never did get around to installing Hulu Video Downloader v3.18 (no idea why) but I did just see another program which purports to do the same thing: StreamTransport v. 1.02 -- I hope I remember to install and try it :)

Update 3: Simple way to download YouTube video is to use Kiss YouTube. Just replace the "www." in front of the URL of the YouTube video you want to snag with "kiss", wait for the new page to load, and click the download button (the downward pointing arrow) or the HQ button (to download the video in high quality MP4 format). "Keep It Simple, Stupid" indeed :)
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2010, 12:52:28 AM »
Oh, and to catch up on some cracking good British TV shows (e.g. Da Ali G Show, How To Look Good Naked, Hustle), try SeeSaw.com.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:54:22 AM by TheZookie007 »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2010, 11:04:50 AM »
For once I installed something as soon as I said I would :) It's StreamTransport. It works pretty well for downloading Hulu stuff (the Holy Grail LOL) but the stuff that's downloaded cannot play in VLC (the thumb button would move along the timeline, it would show how long the video is, but neither the video nor the audio could be seen/heard). If you use another .FLV player (such as Wimpy FLV Player) to play the file back, though, it will work. They are working on the solution.

arflech

• C Cup
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2010, 11:30:05 AM »
Get GreaseMonkey for Firefox, GreaseKit for Safari on the Mac, or IE7Pro for Internet Explorer...or just use Opera (after setting your userscript directory) or Chrome (userscripts are treated as extensions); then download and install this userscript to snag YouTube videos: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/25105/
I heard this extension works for Safari 5 (Windows or Mac): http://jonathanboom.tumblr.com/post/690834005/youtube-video-downloader

For Opera, this userscript will let you download videos from a lot of other sites, although it doesn't always get all available formats: http://github.com/guinunez/getVideo

southy

• G Cup
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2010, 08:21:05 AM »
Any updates on this. Its for flv streaming.

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2010, 12:56:16 PM »
I'm running Ubuntu Linux.

Generally, I've been using "Antbar" aka "Ant Video Downloader" to capture streaming videos inside Firefox. Recently with the last couple of updates to both Firefox and Ant, it seems less effective than before. Though I much prefer Chrome, I resorted to Firefox mainly to run Ant... if that's now not as persistent as it used to be, maybe it's a good time to try to find a streaming video download extension for Chrome under Linux. Oddly, a search of Chrome extensions didn't turn up much: I installed gMovieGet (Chinese) and it doesn't work for a LOT of sites, and Hidden FLV Links is similar to a lot of Firefox plugins: provides a list of links but even if one looks like the FLV file, it's rarely downloadable. Ant on the other hand (back when it worked well) simply has a single button: you press it and the FLV gets captured to a directory.

Can anyone recommend an effective video downloader (gotta be available for Chrome under Linux... a Windows-only plugin doesn't help) that's good, easy and reliable? Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 01:32:06 PM by Palomine »

Chestnuts

• L Cup
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2011, 01:52:11 AM »
Anyone try 'Ant' for Firefox? Works with Daily Motion, but not with all sites. I tried downloading the Tosh O segment Palomine was referring in another thread, but that didn't work. Ant is experimental.

Avatar by John Coffey, used with permission. Avatar tweaking by Zasha

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2011, 03:05:37 PM »
Anyone try 'Ant' for Firefox? Works with Daily Motion, but not with all sites. I tried downloading the Tosh O segment Palomine was referring in another thread, but that didn't work. Ant is experimental.

I've been using Ant in Firefox (under Linux) for quite a while and it usually works with about 90% of what I run across. However, it stopped working at Dailymotion just a day or so ago... to be more specific, Dailymotion won't play at all in EITHER Firefox or Chrome, so I suspect it's more of a Flash thing than a problem with Ant itself. Sometimes, when a site updates it's Flash player, what played fine (or was Ant-capturable) the day before no longer plays (or sometimes it plays but can't be Ant-captured... as with the Pinupfiles short vid samples when they changed their Flash a few weeks back).

I'm STILL looking for a usable FLV capture tool for Chrome under Linux (I go DL whatever's there every couple weeks in hopes that one will turn up but thus far NOTHING works tho a few plugins CLAIM to work). If you find anything new (and good) re: FLV capture tools that would apply to me (Linux, not Mac or PC) I'd certainly appreciate the info. :)

Chestnuts

• L Cup
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2011, 06:12:40 PM »
It's my understanding that the streaming/flash videos that won't play, are compressed, and that if someone had the correct method of decompressing the video in their flv conversion software, they would be downloadable. I had contact with a person who had made shareware flv conversion software who suggested he might run into legal trouble if he made his software capable of uncompressing such flash videos.
Avatar by John Coffey, used with permission. Avatar tweaking by Zasha

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2012, 12:59:09 AM »
CaptureWiz worked pretty well perfectly for capturing embedded streaming video from Hulu.

arflech

• C Cup
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2014, 05:20:35 AM »
I'll just mention Replay Media Catcher here: It's not perfect, but it does catch most types of streaming media, regardless of the application playing it or the protocol (even MMS or RTMP) used; unfortunately it does refuse to decrypt certain DRM-protected streams, but I've rarely seen a file that triggers its DRM-detection.

Pal asks: what OS are you talking about/is it available for? Just curious. :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 11:01:40 AM by Palomine »

fattyjack

• A Cup
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2014, 05:16:06 AM »
thanks for the tip.....

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #59 on: September 19, 2014, 02:43:01 AM »
I'll just mention Replay Media Catcher here: It's not perfect, but it does catch most types of streaming media, regardless of the application playing it or the protocol (even MMS or RTMP) used; unfortunately it does refuse to decrypt certain DRM-protected streams, but I've rarely seen a file that triggers its DRM-detection.

Pal asks: what OS are you talking about/is it available for? Just curious. :)

IIRC it only works on Windows, but I haven't used it in years, so take that with a grain of salt.