Dearc

• F Cup
Re: More ways to save Flash movies from iFilm.com, YouTube, Google Video...
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2006, 12:24:15 PM »
Quote:

If you want a standalone program to do the thing with, you can use Vdownloder, a program that can download videos from Youtube, Google video and Grinvi and then save them in AVI or MPG format.

Dude, you rock! Took me a while to figure the details, but I tried the FLV way first, didn't go as nicely. VDownloader works perfectly! Thanks.
Stand up for what you believe, even if you must stand alone.

"There are over 550 million firearms in worldwide circulation.  That's one firearm for every 12 people on the planet.  The only question is how do we arm the other 11?"  Yuri Orlov "Lord of War"

DimaX

• A Cup
Re: How to save streaming movies from websites
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2007, 09:03:56 AM »
Quote:

............or you could try this:  SDP Streaming Video Downloader

Works a treat.

Thanks great stuff!

origa

• B Cup
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2007, 03:07:34 AM »
Firefox or Macromedia have completely messed up caching.  Cached FLV files are now blocked from copy / paste, and then are deleted when the video stops playing.  

Incredibly frustrating.  

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 06:54:13 PM »
But you can get Add-ons for Firefox that will do that for you.  UnPlug, for example.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2007, 03:02:30 PM »
I just came across this site.

http://orbitdownloader.com/

Apparently, it can download practically everything: streaming video, FLV files (like from YouTube), even those difficult to get embedded video like from Yahoo! Video or from sites like imeem or Last.FM. I will install it and try it out and tell you all how it goes.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

Goldeneye

• The Midas Look
  • The Midas Look
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2007, 03:34:49 PM »
Quote:

But you can get Add-ons for Firefox that will do that for you.  UnPlug, for example.

Quite. I just found one called DownloadHelper that seems to be able to snag from ANY streaming site, at least every one I've tried so far, including plenty that the programs I'd tried before couldn't.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2007, 04:21:50 PM »
Just used OrbitDownloader to snag a song from imeem. It saved it in .FLV format, so I suppose if I wanted to I could convert it to a .MP3. It was as easy as pie to do it, too. If it works as easily for other stuff, then I think I've found my one-stop solution. More testing needs to be done, though,  but so far, so good!

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2007, 09:59:05 PM »
For those who use Firefox, I've recently started using an extension called DownloadHelper which works a treat. Highly recommended.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
Have they cracked the Hulu?
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2009, 04:37:21 AM »
"Hulu is a popular video service which commercially streams television shows from popular networks like NBC, Fox, Comedy Central, MGM, MTV, NGC and several other networks.

Hulu offers on demand content so that you can watch it anywhere, however they do not offer any options to download hulu videos to your computer.

The Hulu Video Downloader is a Freeware utility that will allow you to download Hulu videos to you PC, iPod, Zune, PSB or Mobile phone with one-click.

Just enter the URL of the Hulu video you want to download and click the Add button, you can also choose amongst different format in which you want to save the video, the formats you can save in include AVI, MPEG, FLV and WMV. Thanks Nirmal.

Download Hulu Video Downloader v3.18 here (1.82 MB EXE file)."

I have just downloaded this program, will try it out and let you know if it works or not.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2009, 02:18:15 AM »
For those who use Firefox, I've recently started using an extension called <a href="http://www.**21**/?http://www.downloadhelper.net/index.php" target="_blank">DownloadHelper</a> which works a treat. Highly recommended.
I still recommend this extension; however, YouTube revised its site slightly and now this extension, while perfectly fine for downloading videos from most other sites, no longer works with YouTube. Apparently, YouTube wants to start charging users 99 cents per download. The bastards.

Fortunately, help is at hand: BienneSoft's YouTube Downloader app, which you can get here, has been updated to keep up with YT's shenanigans :)

Chestnuts

• L Cup
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 09:19:51 PM »
Mac users -

I use TubeTV on the Mac side but it doesn't always work.

Sometimes, just using Safari 4 does though.

Let the video load/play all the way through, then go up to the Safari menu to "window" and scroll down and click on "activity." Look for a file name that seems about the size of what you just viewed and double-click on it. It should download the video. (Doesn't always work, one time I had to try several times before it worked for a particular file).

I snatched a couple vidclips from sites that wouldn't let me get them with any mac program (at least that I know of), using that method.

Avatar by John Coffey, used with permission. Avatar tweaking by Zasha

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2009, 06:11:43 AM »
Your body is 60% water. The other 40% is win.  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:14:12 AM by gonZo »

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2009, 10:51:43 AM »
Mac users -

I use TubeTV on the Mac side but it doesn't always work.

Sometimes, just using Safari 4 does though.

Let the video load/play all the way through, then go up to the Safari menu to "window" and scroll down and click on "activity." Look for a file name that seems about the size of what you just viewed and double-click on it. It should download the video. (Doesn't always work, one time I had to try several times before it worked for a particular file).

I snatched a couple vidclips from sites that wouldn't let me get them with any mac program (at least that I know of), using that method.

Well, I am MORE than a little freaked out... this WORKS!

However (at least in my Safari 4 under OSX 10.5.8) the following is worth noting:

In Safari prefs, plugins must be enabled for the streaming vid to play in the first place (obvious, but worth mentioning, as I usually leave it off)

Double clicking on the filename.flv file doesn't cause it to download... it opens in a new window as ascii characters (megs and megs worth) but once loaded, this window can be saved and results in a normal, playable .flv file albeit with a blank file icon.

For some reason, it doesn't seem possible to right-click or control click to get a menu choice to save the .flv directly.

...Generally, I just switch over to FF and use DLhelper to grab streaming vids, but it's nice to finally have the option in Safari... and even in FF/DLhelper, there's sometimes one that can't be grabbed (a few things from Dailymotion lately for example... with two ".flv" and/or odd punctuation in their filenames) so it's always helpful to have another method.

Shame that someone doesn't make a tiny tweak to Safari to streamline this process.

THANKS CHESTNUTS!!! :D

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2009, 08:25:36 PM »
I've been using Relplayer Downloader lately and it's gotten everything so far.

Switcher"over 90% win"X  ;)
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

Chestnuts

• L Cup
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2009, 08:52:22 PM »

Well, I am MORE than a little freaked out... this WORKS!

However (at least in my Safari 4 under OSX 10.5.8) the following is worth noting:

In Safari prefs, plugins must be enabled for the streaming vid to play in the first place (obvious, but worth mentioning, as I usually leave it off)

Double clicking on the filename.flv file doesn't cause it to download... it opens in a new window as ascii characters (megs and megs worth) but once loaded, this window can be saved and results in a normal, playable .flv file albeit with a blank file icon.

For some reason, it doesn't seem possible to right-click or control click to get a menu choice to save the .flv directly.

...Generally, I just switch over to FF and use DLhelper to grab streaming vids, but it's nice to finally have the option in Safari... and even in FF/DLhelper, there's sometimes one that can't be grabbed (a few things from Dailymotion lately for example... with two ".flv" and/or odd punctuation in their filenames) so it's always helpful to have another method.

Shame that someone doesn't make a tiny tweak to Safari to streamline this process.

THANKS CHESTNUTS!!! :D

No problem, although I was pretty sure all I had to do was find the single file name, double click, and it downloaded the clip, not all the ascii characters. Will have to find something someplace doesn't want me to download and try again.

Avatar by John Coffey, used with permission. Avatar tweaking by Zasha