3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
Anniversary and origins? Just how old is the BEA?
« on: June 01, 2005, 12:59:30 PM »
I was looking for a date when BEA was conceptualized, It dawn on me that its been awhile.
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

berkovw

• G Cup
Re: annisversary? how old is BEA?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 03:57:09 PM »
Quote:

I was looking for a date when BEA was conceptualized, It dawn on me that its been awhile.

I think it depends on what you mean by conceptualized.  The BEA has been around for a shorter time in name than in conception.  There were ftps and other sites and things out there that kind of coalesced into the BEA.  I know I first found BEA type material on Acotto's FTP site and through the mailing list of the Louvre.  Those were the BEA's early formative years, and I think they go back a little before that.
"I am not a number!  I am a free man!"
                             - Number 6

"There are a shortage of perfect breasts in this world.  'Twould be a pity to damage yours."
           - Westley AKA The Dread Pirate Roberts

g0ddmode

• G Cup
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 07:32:44 PM »
I also recall a BEA in the form of a mailing list. And that goes waaaay back.

Heck I even remember going to MelonieCharms.com website and downloading the "boobscrush" video. That was back in 97 I think.

turtle21

• G Cup
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 08:21:55 PM »
I think BEA started within all of us, from our very first breast moment until our very last... *sniff*  

MunchWolf

• What Tagline?
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 08:21:56 PM »
Ok, time out ....  The BEA, and BE are two different things .... the BEA only happens to be the latest and strongest focus of the collection of people interested in BE ...

R&D was the newsletter .. and the BE Buddies was the mailing list (which is still around today .. and independant of the BEA) ...

there is also the BE-Loft, which was the IRC chatroom .. also independant of the BEA ...

-Munch "someday there won't be a BEA .. but there still will be a BE movement" Wolf

The Warlock

• X Cup
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 08:37:36 PM »
The Buddies list is still around??  Damn.

The Warlock

Tsunami2k

• G Cup
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 09:22:43 PM »
started in the late 90s' early millennium

SHADY

• C Cup
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »
im only 20 and have been coming here since 97 or so, it was primarily the story archive ... its been a few years.

TEAM BEfAithful

RDaneel

• F Cup
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 10:16:16 PM »
If memory serves, I remember a time when BEA was soliciting donations to buy new server gear. They made it (obviously) and in return donators got months free access. Now, of course, its _the_ spot to gravitate to. Maybe one of the sysops knows the exact date (and it would be nice to see a look at the original home page). Either way it's a great site, well worth the money, and hopefully a source of pride for the owners/sysops.

Good question...

RD
Intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2005, 12:34:27 AM »
if they save the original home page it would be very kewl to just look at it and pay homage to it.
It would even be nice to know what the actual first date for the BEA and make it into a national holiday and celebrate!
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

mrgp

• C Cup
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
The earliest the Wayback Machine has the BEA is April 16th, 1998.  An archive of it can be found here:  http://web.archive.org/web/19980416080102/http://www.bearchive.com/

MaxBigfoot

• ZZZ Cup
  • Maximum Manga Maven
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 12:45:08 AM »
Huh, I must have found the BEA earlier than I remembered I had, because I remember that page!  

MaxBigfoot

To change Forum settings so that you see 50 topics per page:
Go to Forum Profile
Hover cursor over "Modify Profile" button in top left
Select "Look and Layout"
Scroll to "Topics to display per page", select 50 in dropdown menu
Click on "Change Profile" at bottom right of page.

You can also change "Messages to display per page" to 50 in the same way.

doggo

• ZZZ Cup
    • flyingrabbits.tv
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 12:56:30 AM »
The R&D Contents page in that archived (Easter 1998) issue provides a clue: it is Number 39. So assuming roughly one a month, R&D must have been around in some form since at least 1995. I'd guess October 1994. There was no BEA at that time but the BEA must have been very well established by 1998.
doggo - the original doggo. There'll never be another
Flying Rabbits Video
And lots of other stuff

mrgp

• C Cup
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 01:01:24 AM »
The Wayback Machine claims to have archives back to 1996.  They also say that there is currently a 6-12 month lag between crawling a site and posting it.  So figure the same lag back then (smaller internet, but slower machines) and that would place the foundation of the BEA at some point in '97.

ninkasi

• F Cup
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 01:36:17 AM »
Wow, I remember that page too.  I recall finding the BEA and Pixelust in '97, but my memory could be wrong.  14.4K modem, and lucky to hit 4800.  ACK!  that was the hard part.