BarnacleBill

• P Cup
Re: College Football
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 11:05:44 PM »
Charlie Weis, Notre Dame's coach, actually went inside the Trojan lockerroom after the game and told everybody that he hoped USC would win the rest of their games and win the National Championship.

Weis should get Coach of the Year.

Also, Florida State was knocked off.

For you fans who love Old School smashmouth slobberknocker run-it-up-the-gut, pound-em-until-they-flinch football... I encourage you to watch the Alabama-Tennessee game this Sat. at 3:30 pm.  

These two teams have issues with each other, and this will be the first time since 1994 when Bama is ranked higher than Tenn.

It's gonna get ugly.

GO VOLS (btw)
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Chronicler

• Banned Member
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 06:32:57 AM »
Quote:

Charlie Weis, Notre Dame's coach, actually went inside the Trojan lockerroom after the game and told everybody that he hoped USC would win the rest of their games and win the National Championship.

Weis should get Coach of the Year.

Agreed. Lets hope he can keep it together. Even though on paper Notre Dame probably should not have been that close to an upset, that still has to be a tough loss for that team.

Quote:

For you fans who love Old School smashmouth slobberknocker run-it-up-the-gut, pound-em-until-they-flinch football... I encourage you to watch the Alabama-Tennessee game this Sat. at 3:30 pm.  

These two teams have issues with each other, and this will be the first time since 1994 when Bama is ranked higher than Tenn.

It's gonna get ugly.

GO VOLS (btw)

That's just my brand. I like those long, boring defensive games where nobody scores double digits too.

BarnacleBill

• P Cup
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 10:16:58 PM »
Hey chronic!

Was I right or was I right?!!

BAMA-TENN CLASSIC FOR THE AGES

Bama 6 (two FGs; one to win with 13 seconds left in game)
Tennessee 3 (one FG)

NO TOUCHDOWNS

Tennessee had five QB sacks

UNBELIEVABLE

__sb__

• E Cup
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 10:04:55 AM »
Can anybody beat USC?

BarnacleBill

• P Cup
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 11:26:11 AM »
Yes.

Texas is on a mission.  They will not roll over now that they FINALLY got that Oklahoma monkey off their back.

And actually I believe that the TRADITION, the PRIDE, the HISTORY of Alabama football has such an INTENSE impact on the coaches, fans and players, that if they could somehow GET to the National Championship against USC, Bama would have a serious chance of beating them.

(If you doubt me, look at the Bama-Miami National Championship in 1992, when Miami was favored by 14 1/2 points.... Bama crushed them to win the Championship)

Barnacle "roll tide" Bill

Chronicler

• Banned Member
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2005, 12:57:30 AM »
Yeah Bill that game was definitely worth following. You called a good one.

I think Texas actually has a better team than USC (GASP). They just don't quite match up with the speed that USC has. Then again who does? USC is a big play team too. Tough to say who's really the best unless they play each other at the end of the year huh?

BarnacleBill

• P Cup
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2005, 12:54:15 PM »
Unless Texas or SC lose, I guarantee they'll be playing in the Rose Bowl (National Championship).

College football gurus are already preparing the public for another season like last year, when at least one other undefeated team gets screwed over by the BCS, by singing the praise of Texas and USC and saying that those two teams "are clearly a cut above the rest".

That doesn't soften the tragic blow of yet ANOTHER year when the pain of not having a college playoff really cuts to the quick.

Barnacle "college football playoffs, however, are the sworn enemy of the NFL who is afraid that a college playoff would make more money in advertising than the Super Bowl"  Bill

Chronicler

• Banned Member
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 04:42:15 PM »
I don't think the problem has specifically to do with cutting into the NFL's ratings. The NFL does enough to cut into their own market with the way they structure their media contracts, and they do that because their market is so good that they can afford it. The thing I think that holds D-I college football back from having a national playoff is that the conferences and school programs themselves are much older and have an established tradition that precedes the advent of mass media.

In the grand scheme of things; in terms of the media product that is the BCS, those extra games are completely and totally useless. It still factors into the BCS ratings but those extra conference games are a big roadblock, in my view, to getting a national playoff. But, they are there because of traditions. It's not like the NFL where there is one central organization that has complete oversight. You have to deal with the schools, the NCAA, the academics, funding rules, the conference itself, bowl organizations... etc.

But the BCS is there all the same because people want a national champion. Last year just proved to me that the BCS is not going to work the way people really want. They do need a playoff but it's going to be hard to get it because of what I mentioned above and not because of NFL TV ratings.

BarnacleBill

• P Cup
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2005, 09:13:12 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Texas is #1 in the BCS?

USC hasn't lost a game since mid-2003!  They have the returning Heisman winner at quarterback and the most explosive running back in college football!  

The BCS is a laughing stock.

I agree that Texas beat Oklahoma, but it wasn't the OU of years past.

And USC beating Notre Dame like that should count for something.

Methinks its still a ploy to single out Texas and USC as the two "premiere" teams that are supposedly "in a league of their own" to downplay the BCS bullshit when there's another undefeated in the cold at the end of the year.

btw, with respect, I must disagree with you, chronic.

I believe that most teams in America want a college playoff.

I believe there are certain forces, namely the sports-industrial complex of the major T.V. stations and the NFL and such, that do NOT want a playoff, and perhaps, like you said there are certain teams, specifically Notre Dame and USC who probably DON'T want a playoff, because they would only SUFFER from the necessity of actually playing a conference championship game (in USC's case) and in Notre Dame's case, ND would be forced to join a conference which would, as chronic said, go against their storied and majestic tradition of being a problem-causing fly-in-the-ointment pain-in-the-ass school.

Here's my plan (I hope I haven't posted this plan before, I know I tell my friends about it all time).

There should be a mandatory conference Championship in each of the seven major conferences...  PAC-10, SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, Big East, ACC, Conference USA, and then one "at large" team, which would be the highest AP-poll ranked team that is not in any of the preceding conferences.

The winners of those games and the "at large" team will play a Final Eight playoff, single elimination.  That would be four games the first round, two games the second, and of course the championship.

Seven games.  

Those games would still be "bowl" games, i.e. the exact same way that the BCS rotates the different bowls each year for the national championship.  Rose Bowl, Fiesta Bowl, Orange Bowl, etc. would still rotate each year to see who gets the national championship.

Anyway, this would be the greatest thing to happen to college football.

I've had people criticize the plan of course.

Critic #1:  But what about all the other bowls?  You're robbing the Alamo Rent-A-Car Bowl of its storied and majestic tradion, aren't you?
Answer:   Not necessarily, the other bowls can all exist EXACTLY as they did before, they simply wouldn't have the top tier teams represented, but of the lesser bowls never did anyway.  In fact, it would make the lesser bowls more meaningful in a way, because a certain bowl could have the #2 from the SEC against the #2 team from the Big Ten, perhaps, to "prove" which conference is better, etc. etc. etc.

Critic #2:  People won't travel for three different games in such a short period of time.
Answer:  This is how we do it.  All of the conference championships will be played on Dec. 8, the weekened after the regular season ends (as is done now).  The next weekend would be the "Round of Eight" games, four games in a weekend, perhaps one on Friday night, then one at 12:00 on Sat, one at 3:30 on Sat, and one at 7:45 on Sat.  (That day gives me chills just thinking about how amazing that one day of college football would be).
Anyway, that would be around Dec. 13-16, depending on what day Saturday falls.

Okay, THEN, the [censored] get a break and don't have to play the "Round of Four" games until either Dec. 31, Jan. 1, or Jan. 2.

THEN the National Championship is a week after that.

Critic #3:  Too much football for the students, not enough studying, etc.
Answer:  What about March Madness for basketball players?  That takes much longer than my proposed plan.

Critic #4:  Will people be financially willing to travel to three different venues like that?  Venues that could possibly be thousands of miles apart?
Answer:  All of the football fans I know would GLADLY  travel millions of miles if their team had the chance of winning the national championship.  To many in my area, our local college football is our LIFE's BLOOD.  It IS the only major topic of conversation from August to January.  It is the defining characteristic of our city that makes us unique and proud of our area.

Critic #5:  But I'm a USC fan and I don't want to have to play a conference championship game because I might get beat, waaaaahh! Or I'm Notre Dame and I don't want to join a conference, waaaah!!
Answer:  Tough titty said the kitty.  You gotta pay your dues if you're gonna sing the blues, and brother it ain't easy.  Or I guess USC or certain teams like Notre Dame could elect to not join a conference or "secede" from their existing conference and HOPE to be the highest non-conference AP Poll ranked team at the end of the year and achieve the "wildcard" status I mentioned above.

Critic #6:  I'm the sponsor's lawyers and I say that you're taking TOO MUCH away from the bowls that aren't the Nat. Champ bowl because who's gonna watch a game that doesn't decide the Nat. Champ?
Answer:  You, my man, have serious logic problems.  Most people are MORE interested in a bowl game that determines who is going home and who gets to go play for the Nat. Champ than they are in a bowlgame between #3 and #4 that decides ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

I personally guarantee that ratings FOR ALL BOWL GAMES WOULD GO UP UP UP UP!!

Barnacle "okay i'm getting too excited... need oxygen..."bill

PregNut

• ZZZ Cup
  • Pregnancy: Mother Nature's BE.
    • http://forum.bearchive.com/index.php/topic,155796.msg157416.html#msg157416
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 06:36:06 PM »
Sounds good to me, however I propose one change: the wild-card team would be the highest-ranked remaining team regardless of conference affiliation.
"Whenever someone talks about doing something for reasons of justice, you should put your hand in your pocket, because you're about to get it picked."

Avatar courtesy of Getty Images.

Chronicler

• Banned Member
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2005, 10:48:53 AM »
I'm not saying most people don't want it. I think schools and bowl games, at least an important few, are not really thrilled about making those kind of concessions to the NCAA. I also think football fans are football fans if it's college or pro, so ratings shouldn't hurt that much.

Good idea with an eight team field but the draw is too exclusive. If you are going to give certain conferneces a bid anyway, why not use existing bowl games as qualifiers? Of course given that the bowl games would all be played between two conference champs. To me, the bowl games should be between conferences because that's how it all got started. That would essentially double the possible field and keep things at least somewhat traditional. It might widen the appeal of the national championship.

BarnacleBill

• P Cup
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2005, 07:18:58 PM »
Actually, chronic, you're right.  

But its a harder sell to have 16 teams and thereby force the NCAA to extend the college football season until the second or even third Saturday in January.  

That kind of change might be too much for oldtime football fans to swallow.

Barnacle "i hope lee corso and kirk herbstreit are frequenters to the BEA OT forum and will reiterate my sentiments on this weeks' College Gameday" Bill

Chronicler

• Banned Member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2005, 11:42:03 PM »
Student athletes pull summer sessions a lot just to keep up as is, but one thing they could do is shitcan those conference championship games and use statistical tiebreakers like the pros. Conferences in college are more like a division anyway, and those teams play each other as is. That's one less game to play. I know, again, tradition but those games in particular don't do anything in the grand scheme of things anymore anyway. Just send X school to an unafilliated bowl game. Yay. That's two extra games max with the eight team final.

TysonWarm

• A Cup
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 07:46:33 PM »
Joe Paterno is retiring after this season after his one time assistant sexually assaulted a boy in the shower at Penn State.  There is intense debate about Paterno’s culpability in the failure of good men to do anything to stop a monster in their midst – the people here seem to be digging in more strongly every day in defense of their hero, while those outside the Happy Valley cocoon grow angrier every day that he remains on the job. But what cannot be debated is the human tragedy that happened on his watch, in his building, at the hands of a longtime trusted assistant.

They should just shut down their football program for the season.  They don't deserve the right to play.  It's to bad we have to go play those monsters on Saturday. 

tommyboyddd

• A Cup
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 10:30:49 PM »
Paterno is out, effective immediately:  http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7214380/joe-paterno-president-graham-spanier-penn-state

This is the right call by the Board of Trustees.