Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: What makes the "nerd" or "geek" girl so desirable?
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2002, 01:48:21 PM »
The orig of that first fake.  

Palomine

Palomine

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2002, 01:51:47 PM »
Last one. Reminds me to ask a question about sorting files... goto the off-topic forum and lend some wisdom.... thanks..  

sheber

• Shasta'man
    • http://www.bearchive.com/~shasta/
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2002, 09:55:58 PM »
Wow. That picture of Jan and Loni in the WKRP tees is one of the top ten "must own"s on my wish list.  Any ideas where I can find a high res version?
[Rent this space]

Palomine

« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2002, 11:06:49 PM »
Sorry no idea... found that one ages ago. Probably scanned out of a mag years ago... may not be a better one around...

BigDaddy

• E Cup
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2002, 08:06:33 PM »
Because she is attainable and we can all relate to the "Cinderella" complex/fantasy of transforming a mousy/plain girl into our personal goddess...  

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2002, 12:41:14 PM »
It seems to me that you guys are talking about the Hollywood geek girl, where they get a knockout and put glasses on and put their hair up in a bun and call that a geek. Then they work reverse magic, and voila! you've got yourself a knockout again!
I'm not really into geeky girls. And right now I'm talking about "Robert Crumb" type geeky girls, where they've got hairy legs, or a really bad overbite, and such (where talking serious physical problems here). But give me a girl with just a slightly crooked smile or something like that (something that is subtle), and I can really get into her. I'm not really into the perfect hair, perfect teeth, etc. type girl.
Maybe it is that I wouldn't want to share, and with a small imperfection she would be all mine to appreciate, I don't know.  
...Two men say they're Jesus, one of the must be wrong...

sheber

• Shasta'man
    • http://www.bearchive.com/~shasta/
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2002, 10:19:01 PM »
Do you mean like Mimi Rogers askew jaw?  
[Rent this space]

Palomine

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2002, 11:22:39 AM »
I like Mimi Rogers EVERYTHING, but would probably not classify her as a geek or nerd... even when she's in a role of a scientist/investigator (Forbidden Planet, X-Files) her personna is still essentially mature (wonderfully) glam.

Yes, some of the references above ARE of idealized Hollywood geeks, where as was pointed out, an attractive actress is dressed down specifically to be 'outed' later in all her glory. Some watering down of the genre is probably inevitable given our need to use common references (actresses, models) in order to communicate efficiently.

To me, though I like glasses on pretty much any woman, a woman is not a nerdette simply because she wears glasses. She must have many of the other qualities described above: intelligence, preferably an interest in something technical (science, technology, etc...), modest almost anti-glam dress, hair and makeup, an apparent lack of concern/awareness of the fact that she may be very desirable, etc....

Grayface

• E Cup
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2002, 12:59:26 PM »
So, does Sandra Bullocks (sp?) from Love Potion #9(I think that was the name of the movie) fit the bill as a Hollywood glam nerd?  
The Law of Fives states simply that: ALL THINGS HAPPEN IN FIVES, OR ARE DIVISABLE BY OR ARE MULTIPLES OF FIVE, OR ARE SOMEHOW DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY APPROPRIATE TO 5. The Law of Fives is never wrong.---Principia Discordia

Palomine

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2002, 01:09:14 PM »
Don't think I saw that film... I suppose that Sandra Bullock could PLAY a nerdette but I don't personally think of her as one. Her (no doubt carefully crafted by PR hacks) persona is more middle-of-the-road mainstream IMHO with a slight nuance of tomboy.

Again, sticking an actress in front of a computer and putting some glasses on her doesn't automatically make her a nerdette or geek... it just makes her an actress in costume playing (with usually mixed results) a character.

Of course, simply being a nerdette isn't everything:

Case in point: my last GF could fairly be classed as both a geek (heavy interest in technology) and tomboy (athletic). The one before her was neither of those things, though she did wear glasses. However, the geek/tomboy turned out to be a pretty disappointing GF (as things go) while her predecessor was just a few notches shy of ideal. It's the PERSON of course and not the persona (be it authentic or scripted).

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2002, 07:19:34 PM »
How about like Minnie Driver, in say, Grosse Pointe Blank. She isn't particularily beautiful, there's too many things wrong with her face. But her look in that movie drives me wild.  
...Two men say they're Jesus, one of the must be wrong...

Hunter_S_Creek

• D Cup
    • members.bearchive.com/~HSCreek/
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2002, 06:57:01 AM »
1) "Love Potion #9" was one of Sandra Bullock's very early movies.  She played the role of a lonely nerdette splendidly.  It worked for me at the time, 1992, partially because I had never before seen her or heard of her.  She could not have the same effect today because I now know what the actress playing the nerdette "really" looks/is like.  She's a great actress but I just can't trick my mind that much.

2) Here is a request for Jerry Lewis or Eddie Murphy to create a "Nutty Professor" movie with an unknown, teen, female lead undergoing the transformation, etc.    

Vermillion

• F Cup
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2002, 08:37:46 PM »
    Obviously i should have moved to find you Kathy.  

There's no such thing as too much of a good thing.

Tux

• X Cup
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2002, 08:56:40 AM »
I'd have to say in my case it's the fact that there's a sort of reciprocation.  Maybe she'd be a bit more understanding or be able to understand that obscure reference.  Perhaps her intelligence suggests a bit of independance that lets you know that she chooses to be with you for companionship and not your cash or someone to convieniently shove their emotional baggage towards every time things go wrong.  Then again it could be the aspect of you seeing a "diamond in the rough" that need not necessarily be polished for her to shine in your eyes.  It could be the hope that her intellect is full of interesting surprises (remember that scene in "Malcolm in the Middle" where Cynthia disables Reese with ease and then explains what she just did?).  Quite possibly it's the fact that maybe she'll accept you for you since you like her just because she's her.

BTW, I think everyone here knows that Asia Carrera plays UT, has released a character model of herself, runs her own site, and is a self confessed nerd.

Plenty of pictures of her looking rather geeky on the page below.
http://www.asiacarrera.com/athome.html
...still trying to cut down his Pocky habit to 2 packs a day.