3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
Why do I write like a 6th grader?
« on: March 26, 2008, 08:25:46 PM »
You ask this before, and I have told you that I was born deaf and didn't get to hear a spoken word until I turn 7 years old. I also been clinically diagnose with dyphasia, and have below average visual memory of reading text. I was expose to German measle during gestation.

They say that math is a universal language, and yet I usually score the highest in math when I was in High school and college, but really suck at English. I am not so sure if math is categorize as language so much. I have read about cases where one was raise by a pack of wolves and never was able to grasp language because the case study participant spent too much time without language development. Between getting a late start in language development and being born deaf by ruebella, it may be a bit of both.

In school I seldom spent days in recess, as most of my free time was spent with a speech therapist. Took me a long time before I complete a sentence just talking to anyone. I came before the epidemic in 1968 and much was not known about the infliction and the learning disability, and thank god that through the effort of immunization, that the wide spread of german measle been conquer.

When I was in HS I saw many more cases of German measle birth defect with predominate number of them were victim with missing arms and legs. German measle exposure effected mostly the growth of the fetus at any random zygotes of the gene. Depending when the exposure took place. In my case the only outward measurable result were lack of hearing in the higher specialize nervous system receptor of the auditory nerve spindal. I can hear as normal as you the very low range frequency, but very little in the voice range frequency, and almost no high frequency range. I believe the various range of frequency may have led me to be mis diagnose of being autistic, as I could hear something but still not hear voices.

Now as for credential? I never made a living doing bodybuilding, and it didn't require a knowledge of perfect language development to bodybuild, just ask Lou Ferigno. Same for art drawing, that one could draw and study art without the ability to have perfect language development.
I believe that the more I read, can in fact help keep my skills to stay intact. I am not talking about reading from a closed caption of a movie. I think real literature of text books and well written fiction is essential part of my daily regiment.

I don't know where to put this for future reference, because this subject keeps coming up. But to make fun of me when the opinion differ is kind of old. But I will tell you this that karma is a bitch. Life is long and in that period you will never know what you will get in life. Just look at the Community Health & Memorial Notices, as you will never know what you may pull out for yourself when you reach in that bucket of life. So I say be kind and respect, it can go a long way.
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

MasterDragonfly

• Oh My God Cup
  • sponsor of collared_cherri's 1000cc implants
    • Larger Implants Info
Re: Why do I write like a 6th grader?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 09:26:44 AM »
First off, kudos to you for creating a new thread just for this topic.

My apologies if it appeared in the other thread as though I were attacking you.  The closed captioning reference was genuinely something which had been working its way into my consciousness for some time now.  I only mention it as I can well see that being a limiting factor in improving one's reading/writing skills.

Somewhat orthogonal, but I still feel is relevant:  My first wife's mother was born and raised in Germany.  As such, she was a young schoolgirl still learning basic grammar and writing when WW2 kicked off.  I used to read letters which she wrote to my ex and would be astonished at her writing/grammar skills, or lack thereof.  Her writing was atrocious (looked like she'd been riding a bus at the time) and she was lacking any sort of punctuation, inconsistent capitalization (and in German, any/every noun is supposed to be capitalized), no paragraphs, so every letter looked like a stream of consciousness where you'd have to do on-the-fly edits in your head in order to make sense out of them.

And yet the same woman was very articulate when you spoke with her.  And she would read German newspapers and magazines, so she was definitely being exposed to the right stuff on an ongoing basis.

(Aside:  my handwriting sucks; I write with my right hand, my mother is left-handed, my dad's dad was left-handed, and my dad did a number of things with his left hand, and I do do a number of things mainly with my left hand, such as using the knife at a meal; it's possible I may have been strongly encouraged to write with my non-dominant hand, hence the sucky handwriting.)

Another anecdotal story:  I recall many years ago stumbling across some 20-something woman's blog, long before they were ever called blogs.  She was deaf (born deaf I think) and her writing skills were brilliant.  So I can't say I'm convinced that deafness automatically translates to less-skilled writing abilities.

What I *will* buy for a buck is the possibility that the German measles may have directly impacted your ability to learn language.  This isn't a criticism as much as it is a point of concession.  Over the many years that I've studied other languages (epecially early on), I know I've seen other students who really struggle with those other languages.  Some people just aren't wired that way.

I do recall one time you made a rather heated post in response to a similarly-themed discussion, and holy crap, as far as I remember, it was on the freakin' money as far as spelling/punctuation/grammar were concerned.  Which made it all the more baffling; if you could do that once, why couldn't you do it always?  Although I would certainly recognize that if it's more challenging for you to do it that way (eg, spending 5 times as long to polish up a post), then I can certainly see why you wouldn't want to expend the extra effort.  There are times I'll really put in the extra effort in polishing up writing (like recently, when I helped a friend do his resume), but it really can be taxing.

I realize you have had to learn quite a bit about how you got to where you are today.  And I can certainly appreciate the hurdles you've overcome, and can definitely understand how old this sort of petty focus (at times, what seems like "picking on you") can become.

What isn't clear to me is how you perceive the rest of us perceive your writings.  I can't speak for anyone else, as I feel I'm more sensitive to typos/grammar mistakes than certainly a certain percentage of the populace (there's some atrocious stuff out there in forum-land), but a single typo can leap off the screen at me; a stream of typos starts to appear to my eyes like noise would be to my ears.  Unfortunately.

I'm trying to come up with an adequate analogy.  Remember, this isn't to convince you to change your ways, as much as it is to help you understand where at least I'm coming from.  You've done a spectacular effort at explaining where you're coming from, so it seems only fair.

If I have a face-to-face conversation with most people, the chat is quite natural.  This is how I see most posts on the BEA.  But when I read (most of) your posts, 3d, it's like the person I'm speaking with is doing something distracting at the same time as he/she is speaking with me.  Like banging a couple of trashcan lids together, or jumping up and doing the Riverdance.  It's distracting.  Could I carry on a conversation like that?  Well, I *can*, but it becomes quite a bit more challenging.  My efforts to understand also feed into my feeling that I'm not being understood, so I end up expending more effort trying to be understood myself, as well.

Again, I hope you can take this post for what it's meant to be, which is an acknowledgement of the challenges you've faced, and a (hopefully) complementary response to help you see it from another perspective.  Again, not to change how you write, simply to help you see something which I don't really think you see presently.

You've earned more than your fair share of battle scars just being part of the human race, and are no doubt that much more weary for it.  I tip my hat to you for making the effort to explain this in a "big picture" way.

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 10:25:48 AM »
If all our 6th graders wrote like you our nation would have a lot less to worry about.  I salute you.

Shara

• Cup Runneth O'er
  • version 1.337
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 12:08:41 PM »
I noticed you used the enter key in your explanation

^_^ good job  
"I don't always approve of coup d'état, but when I do, it's by Shara." -LuvDemWhoppers

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
I write this post, because of response such as this:

"The fact that you didn't hear until you were 7 is no excuse for bad grammar and I suspect you are in fact an [censored] user as lots of things you spout are total bullshit and very much like the ravings of a 15 year old who parrots what adults around them are saying, but without the understanding behind the comments. Also, you don't gain 20lbs of muscle in 1 month, I don't care who you are.

(I never said I gain 20 pound of muscle, but that I gain 20 pound in 3 month. I gain almost 1.5 pound of muscle per week, and the rest was stored fat)

I worked extensively with a Boy Scout Troop with over 40 deaf [censored], most of whom were deaf from birth and have NEVER heard a spoken word and they ALL have perfect written grammar, so don't throw that out as an excuse.

I do not like you and I like your posts even less and from the private messages I've received as a result of my post, there are MANY others here that feel the same way as me, including a few Mods, who also suspect you're [censored] and are just waiting for a way to prove it and ban you.

And after this message, you WILL be ignored...."

I was a bit dismay with his earlier post, but I have posted a private kind hearted message of peace. I suspect most of this anger has more to do with ideology of politics from past thread.

BTW if any mod have an issue of my age, I will gladly provide any proof by way of mail or a phone call. I registered 7 years ago, and if I was 15, then this would put me at least 22 years of age. I don't think my level of writing really change that much since 7 years ago. I am just trying to keep whatever skills I have intact, while aiming higher in just to spite that.
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 01:11:27 PM »
Quote:

shara1 said:

^_^ good job  

Well, thank you!
So are we cool about it? can you tolerate me as a haphazard writing friend, that doesn't mind being corrected in my writings? but mindful being corrected as a non-human being?

If your okay with that, then I would like to connect with you as a BEA member, and that doesn't mean to agree with you or think like you, but still be a part of your little world in cyberspace as a friend.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
Quote:

MasterDragonfly said:

Somewhat orthogonal, but I still feel is relevant:  My first wife's mother was born and raised in Germany.  As such, she was a young schoolgirl still learning basic grammar and writing when WW2 kicked off.  I used to read letters which she wrote to my ex and would be astonished at her writing/grammar skills, or lack thereof.  Her writing was atrocious (looked like she'd been riding a bus at the time) and she was lacking any sort of punctuation, inconsistent capitalization (and in German, any/every noun is supposed to be capitalized), no paragraphs, so every letter looked like a stream of consciousness where you'd have to do on-the-fly edits in your head in order to make sense out of them.

I'd guess that she learned to write "fraktur" script, a style which was taught in German schools until the late 1940s and virtually undecipherable to anyone who didn't learn it.

3d's writing is pretty distinctively deaf, although I'd guess something else is going on, too. We swapped p.m.s a while back because I recognized the style. My daughter is profoundly deaf; she communicates by signing only. Her written English is a lot like 3d's. We joke about it; she isn't like Marlee Matlin, who reads lips around corners. Matlin is kind of a joke among deaf people, sort of "the hearing man's deafie."
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

MasterDragonfly

• Oh My God Cup
  • sponsor of collared_cherri's 1000cc implants
    • Larger Implants Info
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:12:50 PM »
Quote:

pedonbio said:
I'd guess that she learned to write "fraktur" script, a style which was taught in German schools until the late 1940s and virtually undecipherable to anyone who didn't learn it.

Nah.  It was legible.  But it really did have the strong sense of "large, loopy, and written by a ch!ld who only recently learned cursive".  And somewhat shaky, not the least bit smooth/fluid.

I *think* I know the script you're talking about.  Where combinations of 'u's, 'w's, 'm's, 'n's, 'i's and probably a few others are virtually indecipherable from one another.  And if the letter has an umlaut, there's a stroke of ink over it, and if it does NOT have an umlaut, there's a slightly different stroke of ink over it.  Yes, virtually indecipherable.

I could go on, but I don't want to derail this thread any more than I already have.

auto_reply

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 03:37:24 PM »
I ran across this in another open tab after reading the initial post by 3d...just an aside.

(anyway, I've lost the link.  It was an article about a profoundly deaf graphic artist who'd just received the honors for an international breastfeeding icon for public places...)
*You have reached the Automated Moderation System. In the event of an actual breast expansion emergency, the Attention Signal you just heard would have been followed by official information, news or instructions.*

Xenocrates:
"I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue."

Shara

• Cup Runneth O'er
  • version 1.337
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 11:23:40 AM »
Quote:

3deroticer said:
Quote:

shara1 said:

^_^ good job  

Well, thank you!
So are we cool about it? can you tolerate me as a haphazard writing friend, that doesn't mind being corrected in my writings? but mindful being corrected as a non-human being?

If your okay with that, then I would like to connect with you as a BEA member, and that doesn't mean to agree with you or think like you, but still be a part of your little world in cyberspace as a friend.

tbh I don't mind spelling/grammar on a forum and can't remember attacking you on that front before... I just have a massive dislike for WOT's (wall of text :P)
"I don't always approve of coup d'état, but when I do, it's by Shara." -LuvDemWhoppers

Nurova2

• B Cup
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 02:39:34 PM »
I'm usually just a lurker, not because I don't have things to say, but I like to keep to myself mostly, but when I read a post like this, I can't help but to reply. 3d, anyone who mocks you for writing are obviously insecure about some part of their own being. You have always contributed to this community and anyone giving you any disrespect doesn't deserve to be here. All I can say is: try not to let it get to you when people do make fun, you'll live happier that way.
Live to win, 'til you die.

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 04:29:42 PM »
Thank you Nurova2! I post this so that for future reference that I acknowledge that I need to work on my grammars and that even though I have bad grammars that it doesn't make me any less worthy to contribute to the BEA community.

I have written an invitation to be friends with the person who responded with hate, and yet the invitation is still open if there a change of heart. I made Second Class Scout and found Boy Scouting a rewarding experience in personal achievement for community growth and self-esteem. My involvement in Boy Scout gave me the confidence to be the best I can be and be prepare for anything.

Auto-reply! I have lost links before and though you didn't find it, the thoughts that a deaf person was still contributing to the community and recognize for it, is a nice sentiment and lesson that everyone has capability to find something worthy to give.

MunchWolf

• What Tagline?
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 01:49:56 AM »
Happy Birthday BTW

-Munch "insert non-copyrighted version of song here" Wolf

ROUNDandHEAVY

• Rookie of the Year
  • My name is Bob, Round is just my favorite shape. ;
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 05:46:14 PM »
Yeah Happy Bday. And don't frett about people who mock your garmmar.

I find when someone has a weak argument, they often descend into petty, persoanl insults.

So in a way, the insults you recieve are a kind of vindication of your opininon.
Call me Bob.

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 07:16:14 PM »
Yeah, definitely a personal grudge.

The person mock me and had a desire to get it off his chest, and I responded with offering of peace and then the person stated that they wanted nothing to do with me, and that I would be on the ignore list. LOL

If I had strong desire to not want to hear what the person had to say, I would not even respond, and then put them on the ignore list.

Why tell someone that you don't like them? Do they really need to know that?

I have been known to be highly critical of the Bush administration in regarding to freedom of speech. So it is within the person rights to let me know how they feel. I can live with the fact that I lost a Bush fan as my friend.