Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
new Addventure features?
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
If I was going to add one new feature to the Addventure (meaning something that requires a software change) what should it be?
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

JH_

• F Cup
Re: new Addventure features?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 12:07:22 PM »
Until recently I would have said the ability to add extra options, but I've changed my mind in the light of all the episodes that have been written lately that aren't part of a story but are commenting on a preceding episode. I'm finding this increasingly annoying, and hopefully the ability to comment on an episode separately would put a stop to it.
JH

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 12:50:37 PM »
JH (a man with whom I feel a secret kinship) makes a dazzling point, one which I am embarrassed to admit had not occurred to me.  At first I thought "Why invite comments?" but JH is right -- comments are coming already, and it's a crying shame to have to list them as episodes.

I've had to make comments myself, but I've tried squeezing them into my titles or signatures, or simply giving them as prefaces to the actual episode.  I find this unfortunately necessary when you're collaborating but then your collaborator starts making confounding assertions which fairly beg to be addressed.

I would vote for this feature -- except I wonder if it could be taken one step further, as a guarantee that any new "nothing but comment" episodes be stricken from the Addventure, with the advice "Hey, dude, there are proper channels for this now -- and by the way, we've always had e-mail addresses and a Forum by which to discuss stuff offstage."

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 03:10:51 PM »
I tend to remove "nothing but comment" episodes anyway at the end of the month, except in cases where they have led to actual story content.

I would have thought more people would want to be able to receive comments on episodes, considering how story authors (on (prohibited O) and other places) are constantly crying out for feedback on their stories.

By the way, if the ability to comment _was_ added, I would monitor the comments too so I could remove any garbage or spam (or flamewars!).

When the "add options to existing episodes" question has arisen before, at least one person objected because it could lead to storylines being taken off in directions that the original authors didn't intend.

So far less than 15 people have voted in this poll, I hope more will appear!

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 03:35:46 PM »
So I voted.  Interesting to see "additional options" winning so far.

Anyhow, Mr. Greene, I hope you will get to avail YOURSELF of stats such as average episode length -- it might be worth enforcing a dead minimum someday.  Episodes with titles like "djgp" and full text like "hjdl" and options like "pfgh" and "jmdf" get on my nerves.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
Quote:

Adama said:
When the "add options to existing episodes" question has arisen before, at least one person objected because it could lead to storylines being taken off in directions that the original authors didn't intend.

So long as the continuation doesn't break continuity, I don't see a problem with that, especially as it won't compromise any of the options that the author originally provided. Personally, I love it when a writer continues an episode of mine in a direction which, while totally logical, is one that I'd never anticipated.
JH

Catfish

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 02:05:52 AM »
Quote:

Adama said:

What?!

If an author wouldn't want someone potentially taking a story line in an unwanted direction, than the BEAddventure is perhaps the worst possible place to post the beginning of a story.

Well, okay, maybe spray paint on a subway station wall would be worse.  Or putting it on the paper tablecloth at an Italian restaurant where they give crayons to all the little tykes.

But the whole point of the BEAddventure is being able to continue story lines that have been posted by other people, in whatever fashion one chooses.  (Well, hopefully a coherent fashion, at least.)

At any rate, the best thing about the ability to add new options is that it should put an end to those tedious "something else" options.  

BEginner

• B Cup
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008, 04:18:43 AM »
Adama,

Rock on man, very glad to hear that you're adding somethng, and appreciate you asking us

Okay, so let's ponder how some of these could be used/abused.  

Comments - Pro's include:  Ability to get feedback on your posts, or share collaboration notes without including sych things in the story (I am guilty of this a lot).  Lots of people would likely use this for requests for plot, when they may not have time or interest in adding themselves, but enjoy the story. Cons:  Not too many if you are serious about deleting flames.

Tags - I've asked you for tihs one in the past.  I think this could be a nice feature,   Pros:  If everyone used it consistently, it could really head off the 'hey, let's see what this thread is about, the title looks interesting...oh man, that's nasty.' types of events (these happen at least a couple times a week :P )  cons:  I really don't anticipate people being consistent using these tags.  If this were added, I'd suggest that there be a voting method to let other people add tags.  That way you'd get multiple people's opinions on what's in an episode.

Adding options - Pros:  This sounds sweet!  I'd love to be able to go back to episode 2 and do a new option, for example.  This has the most open possibilities.  Cons:  How many options are you expecting to be able to add?  It can't be limitless can it?  If it's not limitless, then we'll be back to the same problem eventually.  If it is, then I'm trying to wrap my head around how radically different the addventure would be.  I guess that isn't a con, it just feels like the most drastic change to the addventure we know and love.

Anyway...cheers  

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008, 02:47:48 PM »
I don't see why there should be any limit on the number of options that could be added, unless programming considerations enforced it. Burt even the ability to add two or three options ought to be enough 99% of the time.

Otherwise I very much agree with what you've said.
JH

Bonkers

• G Cup
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 05:01:29 PM »
But how many times authors keep going back to episode two per year for options. What will be limited? I was iffy on the comments for flamewars with some real ASSh*les. But I would now give a crack at it and give it a try.
Bonkers

Chuck

• E Cup
  • Bow down.
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 05:13:10 PM »
Comments on episodes. That would be greatness.

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 11:30:06 PM »
Oh great, we now have a three-way tie in the poll... maybe we need a different poll.  

Catfish

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:01:33 AM »
The interactive stories over on Choose Your Own Change allow for new follow-up options to be added, if anyone wants to get an idea of what it would look like.

William

• A Cup
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 12:58:26 AM »
Well, I've now voted for the additional options feature. I appreciate this on the sites where I've been able to use it for a couple of reasons. 1) No need for the ubiquitous "Something Else" option, 2) The ability to un-highjack threads by adding new options where they went off-track (by highjack I'm referring to jarring changes to the story/themes, particularly by people who feel the need to flame the story while they take it in their own direction)

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 03:22:30 AM »
At least you now know that there are three options with no support.
JH