Chuck

• E Cup
  • Bow down.
Re: new Addventure features?
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 06:44:44 PM »
Okay here's my 2¢ worth on the various options under consideration:

1) The ability to add and view comments on episodes.

Pure greatness.

2) Content tags on episodes (ff, gts, etc).

Look, I know some people hate seeing certain kinds of episodes, and it *would* help me avoid stuff like Ranma 1/2 and skinsuits. BUT I have stumbled upon some awesome stuff just by clicking on the episode number and title, without knowing exactly what I was going to get. In fact Madison would not have been created if I wasn't clicking on stuff at random. The net result of tags will be people clicking on less episodes, or only on the kind of episodes they are used to. Less eps clicked = less storylines read and less creativity and spontenaity.

3) The ability to add additional options to existing episodes.

Doesn't "something else" cover this? What if an author finishes a long cohesive story, and someone decides to add a dumb episode to the finished work? This is going to cause some people a lot of frustration. Part of the fun in a collaborative enterprise like the BEAddventure is using other people's ideas, and having their contributions to your story **77** you to (maybe) go in a direction you might not have wanted to go. End result: less collaboration, as the original writer ignores the new writer's contribution and forces the story to go where he or she wanted in the first place. Other person gets frustrated and stops contributing. It will happen.

4) Automatic author statistics (average episode length, etc.)

This would be interesting...maybe in the future. It's got almost no support right now, but I would be in favor of doing it later.

5) The ability to vote for favorite episodes.

Kind of problematic. Can you vote for your own? Can you vote for eps that branch off from your own? Can you vote for your own character or situation, used by others? Could I go through the whole Addventure, and find every ep where Madison is mentioned, and vote for those eps? This could turn into a huge ego trip for some authors.

6) Show backlink sources in target episodes (episode 2 would have quite a lot).

I'd love to see this one happen, but there is no support for it right now it seems. I think it's a big missing piece of the entire "backlinking" dealie. Oh well.

That was my 2¢, as I said.

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2008, 08:36:55 PM »
Quote:

Chuck said:
Doesn't "something else" cover this? What if an author finishes a long cohesive story, and someone decides to add a dumb episode to the finished work? This is going to cause some people a lot of frustration. Part of the fun in a collaborative enterprise like the BEAddventure is using other people's ideas, and having their contributions to your story **77** you to (maybe) go in a direction you might not have wanted to go. End result: less collaboration, as the original writer ignores the new writer's contribution and forces the story to go where he or she wanted in the first place. Other person gets frustrated and stops contributing. It will happen.

This can just as easily happen in the current Addventure, the only way to prevent it being giving all your episodes only a single option (which your collaborator would take).  The only writer I know of who's done that regularly is Dabbler.
Quote:

5) The ability to vote for favorite episodes.

Kind of problematic. Can you vote for your own? Can you vote for eps that branch off from your own? Can you vote for your own character or situation, used by others? Could I go through the whole Addventure, and find every ep where Madison is mentioned, and vote for those eps? This could turn into a huge ego trip for some authors.

All right, I admit that nobody's actually asked for this one before...
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 10:31:03 AM »
A discussion of Forum participation going on up in Site Issues has me wondering if there's any way we could more strongly encourage Addventurers to bother to use the Plume.  It WOULD be worth it to hear from more Archive members in this Forum if those members are already active outside the Forum and clearly have issues and questions.  What properly ought to be Plume discussions keep getting crammed into the actual Addventure episodes, and that in turn leads to these  issues of appropriate content.

BEginner

• B Cup
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 06:15:52 PM »
Aaaaand, it looks like things have settled nicely into a 3 way tie...does that help ya Adama  
You could do 1/3 of each feature for this anniversary, 1/3 for the 20 year and finish all three up in 20 years.

Third_I

• A Cup
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »
[two cents] Don't mind me but I think that comments is the best way to go.
It's just that. I think additional options would mess up the entire Addventure. And all of our wonderful restart threads would be rendered pointless. And it could lead to people adding episodes just to comment of another episode.

I think no one would use the same tags unless it was a checklist kind of thing that people could use.

I think that comments would allow for authors to feel appreciated when people could compliment their episodes, and people could do small collaboration discussions in them. It would be easier than filling the tagline or putting it in the episode.

But you don't have to listen to me if you don't want.[/two cents]
-Third I, Future Ruler of The BEADDVENTURE-

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
Personally, I'm just heartened to see an Addventurer make it to the Plume.

Prophet_Tenebrae

• Breast Prophet
  • Prophet Of Darkness
    • FTF10 - FTF Superblog
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 06:01:13 AM »
I have to agree with Third I, the inability to comment has led to a lot of derailment - by the likes of L.E. whose sizeable contribution is a good part "You made a continuity error!" - that doesn't add anything. Comments are direct feedback and I think would be a good way for people to actually find out if there are people out there... and I can't imagine that kind of coding being a million miles away from voting/rating either...

I think it's just the most pragmatic option... although, I'd love to see tags. Then all of a sudden, all the she-hulk options would be available!

Cook

• A Cup
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 02:38:53 AM »
Thanks Adama for the choice of a new feature, I'm really looking forward to seeing the Addventure grow in a new way. (yes, pun intended)

I'll go ahead and turn it back into a two way tie by voting for comments, mostly for reasons already mentioned. I'd love to get feedback on what I write (other than the PMing I do with BEginner) but I've never really wanted to post here asking if anyone liked my stuff. Communication is really great for an ongoing story and it would be more fun for reading if it's not in brackets at the beginning or end of the episode.

I know there have been times when I've wanted to add an option to a story, but there are creative ways around that sort of thing most of the time.

That's about it. <gets off soapbox>

Pyro9975

• A Cup
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2008, 07:30:25 PM »
The only thing that troubles me with the new additions to episodes is that there are early episodes that are yet to be created. If we aren't using the episodes we have now, should we be creating more? Also, if there are new additions, then the number should be limited. If everyone thinks they have the greatest idea, post it on the first page, then wait for others to respond, then there's a list of 500+ options on the main page, and no responses afterwards.

Not to be against this option, but this is what I foresee happening.

Bonkers

• G Cup
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 10:31:51 PM »
Just curious Adama, if there a tie? what is you going to do about it, flip a coin? high card wins? darts? play rock, paper and scissors with you're two hands? OR....
Bonkers  

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 11:17:16 PM »
In the case of a tie, I thought about going with the one that had the most positive/least negative responses to it in this discussion thread... which I think is the "comments on episodes" option.
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »
I think that in the event of a tie you should have the equivalent of a chairman's casting vote. After all, you will be the one who is doing the work, so it only seems fair.

I see that we've had two more episodes today devoted to comments. *sigh*
JH

Bonkers

• G Cup
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 03:35:56 PM »
I'm still a little worry about Dipsh*ts writing stupid things for comments about other writers work. I just came from AOL and people were writing comments about the death of Bobby Murcer bout with brain cancer and the majority of them was very sweet and kind. But still you have one or two Jackasses writing things like "I hope he suffer" "good riddance" "he suck" and so on.
Bonkers

Third_I

• A Cup
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »
But for every twenty bad comments there would be one good/constructive comment that would make it worth it.

Besides some episodes actually do suck: mostly episodes like: "jim dies the end" "this is sick, u people r disgutsing"

Still negative comments weren't invented with the internet and people already add episodes to insult or demean other authors or their episodes. What do we have to lose?
-Third I, Future Ruler of The BEADDVENTURE-

Bonkers

• G Cup
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2008, 07:55:13 PM »
Anywaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay... welcome to the forum, Third_I
Bonkers