Re: MERGED: The Politics Thread
« Reply #6600 on: February 14, 2018, 02:04:48 PM »
For Trumpelstilsken fans there is nothing more unbearable in life than political correctness - or in other words there is nothing more what they hate than the rules of civilization. Looking at their leader, this is no wonder. He thinks he is allowed to do everything without consequences, so do his fans.
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6601 on: February 14, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
"Political correctness" is not the same as thinking that one has the right to freely express their racist or misogynistic beliefs without consequence. Unfortunately some people want to twist the meaning of the phrase to just that.

Speaking of horrible beliefs: two days ago, both the son of the current occupant of the White House and Pres. Obama were sent packages of white powder. Fortunately, the US Secret Service is on the case. I have no idea why anyone thinks sending terroristic threats to either person is beneficial. It is in fact the opposite of "beneficial".
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6602 on: February 14, 2018, 05:04:05 PM »
Two bits of political news from South Africa:

CNN: "Zimbabwe's Morgan Tsvangirai, longtime Mugabe foe, dies at age 65"

Morgan Tsvangirai, Zimbabwe's longtime opposition leader and former prime minister, has died in a South African hospital at the age of 65, according to MDC party spokesman Nelson Chamisa.

Tsvangirai had been in and out of hospital since disclosing in June 2016 that he had colon cancer. He returned to Johannesburg for another round of treatment in early January.

Tsvangirai was the veteran leader of the Movement for Democratic Change, and one of the most prominent critics of the former Zimbabwean strongman Robert Mugabe and his ruling ZANU-PF party.

His death greatly increases the power of ZANU-PF ahead of elections later this year. Emmerson Mnangagwa, who took over as President and ZANU-PF leader after Mugabe's resignation last November, will be the heavy favorite to win the vote.

The African National Congress in Zimbabwe's southern neighbor, South Africa, sent its sympathies.

"The ANC expresses its condolences to the family of Morgan Tsvangirai and all supporters of the MDC," it said.

and speaking of the ANC:

BBC: "South Africa's President Jacob Zuma resigns"

South Africa's embattled President Jacob Zuma has resigned from his office with immediate effect.

He made the announcement in a televised address to the nation on Wednesday evening.

Earlier, Mr Zuma's governing ANC party told him to step down or face a vote of no confidence in parliament.

The 75-year-old has been under increasing pressure to give way to Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa, the ANC's new leader.

Mr Zuma, who has been in power since 2009, faces numerous allegations of corruption.

Earlier on Wednesday, police swooped on the Johannesburg home of the powerful and wealthy Gupta family with whom Mr Zuma has close ties.

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #6603 on: February 15, 2018, 03:57:14 AM »
He thinks he is allowed to do everything without consequences, so do his fans.
Same as Merkel. Food banks on the rise in Germany. I don't think she gives a shit about the poor.
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

« Reply #6604 on: February 15, 2018, 06:07:16 AM »
He thinks he is allowed to do everything without consequences, so do his fans.
Same as Merkel. Food banks on the rise in Germany. I don't think she gives a shit about the poor.

Not sure how Merkel or food banks actually fits here, but OK. I was never a Merkel fan. So whatever.
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6605 on: February 15, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »
Here we go again.

USA Today: "Florida school shooting: hoaxes, doctored tweets and Russian bots spread false news"

The hours after the mass shooting at a Florida high school followed a now familiar trajectory on the Internet: web sites published hastily sourced conclusions about the shooter, and pranksters shared false photos of victims and the suspect.

But the aftermath of the killing of 17 in Parkland, Fla. Wednesday took a slightly different turn this time — one reporter's tweets were doctored and retweeted to make it appear she had been asking slanted questions. Another tweet making the rounds pretended to show a popular news website's article. It had been doctored, too.

These added to the more standard fabricated stories and hoaxes that have become a common occurrence in the wake of a national tragedy.

...That new form of misinformation "is new," said Alexios Mantzarlis, director of the International Fact-Checking Network at The Poynter Institute. "For sure, this incident is qualitatively different."

BuzzFeed News also took to Twitter to debunk what it called a "hoax screenshot" of its site circulated on Twitter by the White House correspondent for the website Gateway Pundit. The faked report was headlined, "Why we need to take away white people's guns now more than ever."

Twitter accounts linked to Russian disinformation campaigns also promoted some of the false stories. "Parkland," the Florida city where the school is located, was among top trending hashtags pushed by a network of 600 Twitter accounts linked to Russian influence campaigns, according to  the Alliance for Securing Democracy, part of the German Marshall Fund of the United States.

...Long before authorities identified the suspect as Nikolas Cruz about 7:30 p.m. ET Wednesday there were already stories on online news sites being passed along on social media about the suspect.

A story on the Gateway Pundit site reported that shooter was a registered Democrat,  tying the political affiliation with an incorrect name. It later corrected it.

Hoaxes and rumors often originate on website forums 4Chan and Reddit,  says Jane Lytvynenko, a BuzzFeed News reporter who has covered hoaxes in the wake of shootings, terror attacks and disasters.

"I immediately open Reddit or 4Chan and it's a little bit harrowing to watch how these hoaxes that are made up on fairly-fringe web sites make their way into the mainstream," she said.

Some of those posting misinformation want to trick reporters, while others seek to use a calamity to advance a political agenda, Lytvynenko said. Others may be seeking more followers. "It's a lot quicker to make something up than it is to report. We have to verify information with various sources. To fake something online is a ten-minute job."

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6606 on: February 15, 2018, 06:24:49 PM »

"Jeez, going through some of the comments on a couple of my recent posts about the #ParklandSchoolShooting...I just shake my head. It really feels like a lot of people done lost they damn minds.

Our gun problem, in my view, is like a perfect storm that consists of a few elements. One is a legislative body that is sorely disconnected from the views and desires of the citizens that it is elected to serve (I'm looking at YOU, Republicans in Congress, although not all Dems are perfect either.) This disconnect is magnified and exacerbated by having money dictate so much of our politics. The National Rifle Association has not only gone off the deep end in terms of the regulations they want to strip away, but they have also capitalized financially on a gun culture among a minority of citizens that has become disturbingly extreme, which in turn gives them more and more lobbying power. That deranged gun-worship has distorted the discourse so badly, it's seemingly impossible to ever expect any kind of compromise or agreement.

Add to this our disgraceful lack of easy access to health care, particularly mental and psychological health care, and you have a situation where a whole lotta people are out in society, who have raging emotions beneath the surface, with no coping mechanisms or capability to work through those feelings with mental health professionals. We have a bunch of walking human powder kegs out there.

Sadly, I don't think anything will change, in any way, until we somehow get money out of our politics and smash the influence of groups like the NRA. We have to elect representatives and Senators who refuse to do their bidding, and punish those (at the voting booth) who won't address this issue with the urgency that is so desperately needed."

-- @ResonantMuse

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6607 on: February 15, 2018, 06:48:32 PM »

"As Republicans begin heaping “thoughts and prayers” on the families of the 17-plus people killed in Wednesday’s deadly shooting at a high school outside Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, a writer for Jimmy Kimmel Live! made sure to note how much each had taken from the National Rifle Association.

“Heartbreaking news out of Florida,” Sen. Rob Portman (R-OH) tweeted. “Jane and I send our prayers to the school, the community, and the victims of this tragedy.”

“$3,061,941.00 from the NRA to make sure Americans buy guns,” Kimmel writer Bess Kalb tweeted, quoting the Texas Republican.

Sen. Thom Tillis (R-NC): "Tragic news out of Florida. Please keep the victims, their families, first responders and the community in your thoughts and prayers."
Bess Kalb: "$4,418,012.00. Four million four hundred eighteen thousand and twelve dollars from the NRA."

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA): "Praying for the students, teachers and first responders affected by the tragic shooting in Florida. Our hearts go out to the victims and their families."
Bess Kalb: "$2,861,047.00 from the NRA to make sure Americans keep buying guns."

“In the 2015-2016 election cycle alone, GOP candidates took $17,385,437 from the NRA,” Kalb noted, quoting a tweet from Republican National Convention chairwoman Ronna Romney McDaniel. “This is NOT counting the $21 million given to President Trump,” she added.

As she summed up:
"God have mercy on your NRA-kept souls:

Richard Burr
$6,986,620

Roy Blunt
$4,551,146

Thom Tillis
$4,418,012

Cory Gardner
$3,879,064

Marco Rubio
$3,303,355

Joni Ernst
$3,124,273

Rob Portman
$3,061,941

Todd Young
$2,896,732

Bill Cassidy
$2,861,047"

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #6608 on: February 15, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
By the way, the FBI is investigating those donations from Russian sources to the NRA, and if they might have been funneled into the NRA's campaign donations....

The Onion updated their "No Way to Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Happens Regularly" story already.

And one of their writers posted this Tweet....
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6609 on: February 16, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
By the way, the FBI is investigating those donations from Russian sources to the NRA, and if they might have been funneled into the NRA's campaign donations....

Would it be possible to sanction them for aiding and abetting a foreign power to influence our elections? This is wild.

The Onion updated their "No Way to Prevent This, Says Only Nation Where This Happens Regularly" story already.

And one of their writers posted this Tweet....

Yes, we're such an "advanced" nation that we are seemingly the only one who can't do what countries like Israel, Scotland, Australia, Canada, etc. etc. have done. Sort of like our healthcare. (Hiyoooooooooo!)

Pendejo

• A Cup
« Reply #6610 on: February 17, 2018, 03:24:22 AM »

« Reply #6611 on: February 17, 2018, 04:08:26 AM »
Interesting. Looks like many of the Trumpelstilsken voter were without their knowledge manipulated by russian agents through social media ...

And I said "many" not "all".

LOOOOL. Dumb people are easy to manipulate.

And that the operations started 2014 isn't that far fetched for me.
Since 2014 in German social media I saw similar behaviour with pro Nazi party comments, destabilization of parties from the spectrum with democratic values, Pro Russia and Putin trolls. Things that got more and more in 2014 - 2016. Many had this strange feeling something going on.

EDIT:
And probably this board is also undermined by russian agents! Didn't we see in the last 2 years things in THIS THREAD similar like:

"HillaryForPrison" or "Hillary is a Satan"

btw. #HillaryForPrison is a hash tag on Twitter started in St. Petersburg Russia. The slogan "Hillary is a Satan" coming from St. Petersburg Russia, too.
So either we have russian agents here or just people that like to be used by russian agents. I mean I can clearly remember "Russia Today" links were posted here in this thread! I opposed those links, that's why I can remember this well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 07:46:56 AM by andrat2000 »

« Reply #6612 on: February 17, 2018, 04:18:44 AM »
If not possible to have a democratic or indipendant senate member to represent Utah ... I press thumbs that Mitt Romney becomes the elected candidate. At least he is a GOP member opening his mouth and speaking against Trumpelstilsken ...

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6613 on: February 17, 2018, 08:36:57 AM »
If not possible to have a democratic or indipendant senate member to represent Utah ... I press thumbs that Mitt Romney becomes the elected candidate. At least he is a GOP member opening his mouth and speaking against Trumpelstilsken ...

Too many of the GOP talk a good game but end up still allowing this mess to go on. I watched his "I'm running for the US Senate" ad and had three thoughts:

1. What does it say of us as a country that Mitt "Mister 47%" Romney is considered a voice of reason?

2. Compared to the man he'd be trying to replace (the horrible, completely out-of-touch, and quite possibly-senile Orrin Hatch), Mr. Romney actually is a good candidate and probably would do great things for the state of Utah and by extension the rest of the country, but...

3. I don't see how he could ever live this photo down.

« Reply #6614 on: February 17, 2018, 11:02:08 AM »
OK. I wasn't well informed. Sorry.

Every candidate outside of GOP would be actually a better choice then.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:06:20 PM by andrat2000 »