3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
Re: MERGED: The Politics Thread
« Reply #7365 on: February 19, 2019, 12:37:25 AM »
Trump tweet toward Alex Baldwin was a threatening thin veil of suggestion for his rabid fan calling him the enemy of the state. Do I need to remind you that all of the mass shooting in 2018 were done by disgruntle right wing fanatics? This is a new line crossing of presidential abuse!
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

salem

« Reply #7366 on: February 21, 2019, 02:29:34 PM »
...After all, the whole NPC term came originally from Non Player Characters who can only respond in certain ways in computer games. I wasn't aware that the offence level of the term was as high as it seems to be. I still think of it in computer terms rather than the overtly political.

It's the idea that the people that someone disagrees with are limited to preprogramed responses that extremely dehumanizes and lowers the level of discourse.

Its just asking for people to other everyone they disagree with, and we know what happens when a large enough group is turned into an inhuman "Other" (pardon the scare quotes)

I disagree. The NPC meme is directly taken from computer game terminology and turned into an insult, nothing more. If people feel dehumanized by it then it says more about them than it does about the people using it. Memes don't harm people, if someone gets offended by it, then that is how they interpret it. It's a matter of persective, people can get offended over the silliest things these days. This whole 'generation snowflake' has to end, it is getting ridiculous now. So one group usses a meme and a bunch of people get offended? They need to get a grip. As far as I am aware no-one who uses the meme has ever advocated the rounding up of liberals or leftists into camps for extermination. Yet a certain member of this board is constantly using the term 'nazi' a much worse term, with impunity.

CarlTL

• ZZZ Cup
  • King of the Avatars
« Reply #7367 on: February 25, 2019, 07:21:54 PM »
...After all, the whole NPC term came originally from Non Player Characters who can only respond in certain ways in computer games. I wasn't aware that the offence level of the term was as high as it seems to be. I still think of it in computer terms rather than the overtly political.

It's the idea that the people that someone disagrees with are limited to preprogramed responses that extremely dehumanizes and lowers the level of discourse.

Its just asking for people to other everyone they disagree with, and we know what happens when a large enough group is turned into an inhuman "Other" (pardon the scare quotes)

I disagree. The NPC meme is directly taken from computer game terminology and turned into an insult, nothing more. If people feel dehumanized by it then it says more about them than it does about the people using it. Memes don't harm people, if someone gets offended by it, then that is how they interpret it. It's a matter of persective, people can get offended over the silliest things these days. This whole 'generation snowflake' has to end, it is getting ridiculous now. So one group usses a meme and a bunch of people get offended? They need to get a grip. As far as I am aware no-one who uses the meme has ever advocated the rounding up of liberals or leftists into camps for extermination. Yet a certain member of this board is constantly using the term 'nazi' a much worse term, with impunity.

You know and I know what the terms means and where it came from, the issue is those that are f o r c i n g this new definition (paradigm?) with the intent to make it a term to other/lessen those they don't agree with. The people that I see doing this the most are those on the far-right attacking anyone to the left of them.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 07:25:12 PM by CarlTL »

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #7368 on: February 25, 2019, 07:41:11 PM »
Meanwhile, in Vietnam, El Presidente is going to give Lil' Kim more of the validation that he (Kim) needs, while getting bupkes in return. And with delusions of a Nobel Peace Prize in his eyes, he'll call it a win.

And in Venezuela, things are getting less good (to put it mildly). Will El Presidente welcome refugees? Will he call for military intervention? Does he have anyone in his immediate staff who is actually any good with foreign affairs? Of course not.... and he wouldn't listen to them if he did.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #7369 on: February 27, 2019, 10:26:38 PM »
Meanwhile, back home at the ranch:

Michael Cohen, the disbarred former fixer, testifies before Congress, under oath...and the late night comics had a field day.

Seth Meyers: "It's so ironic, Trump finally went to Vietnam and gets killed back home."

Trevor Noah: "Good Lord, this is huge. Michael Cohen's gonna testify under oath that president Trump is a liar, a cheater, a womanizer, and a racist. What other bombshell is he gonna drop?!"

ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #7370 on: March 22, 2019, 10:00:14 PM »
Well, Phase 1 is done.

Robert Mueller has given his report to the AG.

Now we've got ALL THE MEDIA discussing even more What's Inside? Especially since the cover letter said No New Indictments Inside.

That may or may not mean anything....but there's ALREADY a HELL of a lot that we DO know.

Here's a timeline (too bad it's in reverse order, so you have to read it from the bottom up) of key events: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/03/we-already-know-there-was-collusion/

And all those indictments, arrests, guilty pleas, and convictions that we ALREADY HAVE aren't nothing. Here’s everyone and everything that’s been indicted or reached a plea agreement so far:

Paul Manafort
    Michael Cohen
    Rick Gates
    Roger Stone
    Michael Flynn
    Alex van der Zwaan
    George Papadopoulos
    Richard Pinedo
    Konstantin Kilimnik
    Viktor Netyksho
    Boris Antonov
    Dmitry Badin
    Ivan Yermakov
    Aleksey Lukashev
    Sergey Morgachev
    Nikolay Kozachek
    Pavel Yershov
    Artem Malyshev
    Aleksandr Osadchuk
    Aleksey Potemkin
    Anatoliy Kovalev
    Yevgeniy Prigozhin
    Mikhail Bystrov
    Mikhail Burchik AKA Mikhail Abramov
    Aleksandra Krylova
    Anna Bogacheva
    Sergey Polozov
    Maria Bovda AKA Maria Belyaeva
    Robert Bovda
    Dzheykhun Ogly Aslanov AKA Jayhoon Aslanov AKA Jay Aslanov
    Vadim Podkopaev
    Gleb Vasilchenko
    Irina Kaverzina
    Vladimir Venkov
    Internet Research Agency LLC
    Concord Management and Consulting LLC
    Concord Catering

And don't forget all the OTHER corruption being investigated. The campaign finance violations. That Chinese lady and the massage parlor. Jared's 'security clearance'. And, along with Ivanka, not using official gov't channels for communications (you know, the same thing they wanted to LOCK HER UP with Clinton....). The SDNY isn't going to stop their work - and El Presidente can't use his Pardon Power there.....

Keep in mind, there may not be anything in the Mueller Report that we don't already know. Be cool, and let it play out in Congress.

Published before the announcement this afternoon, but still very useful:
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #7371 on: March 22, 2019, 11:44:26 PM »
That OnTheMedia summary is quite right.

"Now this is not the end; it is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
-- Winston Churchill (1942)

Cutter

• X Cup
« Reply #7372 on: March 23, 2019, 09:44:51 AM »
Left, Right and Center are all making pronouncements on a report that THEY HAVEN'T EVEN READ.

I do not believe what Trump says, ever.  With the number of people around him that have plead guilty and been imprisoned does not say much for Trump as he chose them to serve him.

He's stayed out of prison this long by being cagey enough to have others do the crimes for him.

The report MAY show that Trump did not have direct involvement. 

The report MAY show that Trump is in it to the top of his piss yellow hair.

Strap in uneven pavement ahead.
Cutter

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

My DVD   http://mightyo.site.aplus.net/ussclamagoretourdvd.com/

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #7373 on: March 23, 2019, 09:55:06 PM »
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-campaign-rally-hate-crimes-study-maga-2019-3?fbclid=IwAR2rEVWaUCF_SsrvxMsmhfNB-tX343Ebfae8YGDw-2mA8R8bxIDs8AaXF4c

I have a feeling that we will have to make new laws for president because of Trump crossing the line of decency many times over.
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #7374 on: March 23, 2019, 10:42:37 PM »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #7375 on: March 24, 2019, 10:25:08 PM »
OK. What now?

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #7376 on: March 25, 2019, 07:55:34 PM »
OK. What now?
1. Make no absolute determinations about the Mueller Report unless and until it is released in its entirety.

2. Remember that there are plenty of other investigations going on:

A. SDNY is investigating El Presidente's hush money payments as campaign finance violations.

B. Barr's letter stated that there was no co-ordination with the Russian Government. But what about others, like WikiLeaks?

C. The following groups are looking in to potential money laundering with El Presidente's Inaugural Committee:
i. The SDNY is looking into price gouging at El Presidente's hotels.
ii. The EDNY (Eastern District of NY, aka Brooklyn) is checking to see if foreign donors were using straw men to illegally funnel $$$ to the I.C.
iii. The Special Counsel's Office is following up on the Manafort investigation, wondering why there were so many shady Ukranians at the inauguration.
iv. The House Judiciary Committee has questions about the whole mess.
v. Since El Presidente has a golf club in his state, the New Jersey Attorney General wants to get his hands on some of those financial documents.
vi. The DC Attorney General wants to know about funds the I.C. gave to the Trump Organization and the Trump Hotel.

D. Speaking of Manafort, the investigations into his fuckery AREN'T OVER. The people he worked with still need to be called onto the carpet.

E. The NY Attorney General is still investigating the illegal money shuffling between the Trump Foundation and the campaign. Many other parties are digging in El Presidente's financial dealings for other criminality, too.

F. DC and Maryland are still challenging El Presidente on the matter of the Emoluments Clause.

3. Don't expect anything to come out that will convince the GOP that impeachment is necessary.

4. Look forward and plan ahead.

5. The ultimate goal is to soundly defeat the GOP at every level next year - White House, Senate, House of Representatives, state governments, local governments.

6. Avoid the 'litmus tests' for candidates like the plague that they are.

7. Remember that, at least as far as the voting public is concerned, those who disagree with you are the Opposition, NOT The Enemy. They are your fellow Americans.

Did I get everything?

Some useful links:
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/03/trump-mueller-report-russia/
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2019/03/theres-a-lot-more-to-investigate-than-just-russia/
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2019/03/mueller-non-russia-trump-scandals-congress/585643/
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/mueller-report/585631/
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/03/mueller-report-leaves-one-key-question-unanswered/585625/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/03/25/democrats-heres-what-remember-about-mueller/?utm_term=.7dbe831f5cfc
rtpoe

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #7377 on: March 26, 2019, 01:28:02 AM »
7. Remember that, at least as far as the voting public is concerned, those who disagree with you are the Opposition, NOT The Enemy. They are your fellow Americans.

Except for Mitch McConnell -- he truly is the enemy of democracy.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #7378 on: March 28, 2019, 08:11:08 PM »
So the Republicans on the House Intel Committee decided that Chairman Adam Schiff (D-CA) is just so darned annoying with all his demands and investigations of El Presidente that they entered a formal letter into the official record, demanding (!) that he step down as chairman because he abused his position "to knowingly promote false information, having damaged the integrity of this Committee, and undermined faith in U.S. government institutions."

As recorded by C-Span, here is his response in its entirety:

My colleagues may think it's okay that the Russians offered dirt on the Democratic candidate for president as part of what was described as "the Russian government's effort to help the Trump campaign." You might think that's okay. My colleagues might think it's okay that when that was offered to the son of the president, who had a pivotal role in the campaign, that the president's son did not call the FBI, he did not adamantly refuse that foreign help. No, instead that son said that he would "love" the help of the Russians. You might think it's okay that he took that meeting.

You might think it's okay that Paul Manafort, the campaign chair, someone with great experience running campaigns, also took that meeting. You might think it's okay that the president's son-in-law also took that meeting. You might think it's okay that they concealed it from the public. You might think it's okay that their only disappointment after that meeting was that the dirt they received on Hillary Clinton wasn't better. You might think that's okay.

You might think it's okay that when it was discovered a year later that they'd lied about that meeting and said it was about adoptions, you might think it's okay that the president is reported to have helped dictate that lie. You might think that's okay. I don't. You might think it's okay that the presidential chairman of a campaign would offer information about that campaign to a Russian in exchange for money or debt forgiveness. You might think that's okay. I don't.

You might think it's okay that campaign chairman offered polling data, campaign polling data to someone linked to Russian intelligence. I don't think that's okay. You might think it's okay that the president himself called on Russia to hack his opponent's emails, 'if they were listening.' You might think it's okay that later that day, in fact, the Russians attempted to hack a server affiliated with that campaign. I don't think that's okay. You might think that it's okay that the president's son-in-law sought to establish a secret back channel of communications with the Russians through a Russian diplomatic facility. I don't think that's okay.

You might think it's okay that an associate of the president made direct contact with the GRU through Guccifer 2 and Wikileaks, that is considered a hostile intelligence agency. You might think that it's okay that a senior campaign official was instructed to reach that associate and find out what that hostile intelligence agency had to say, in terms of dirt on his opponent.You might think it's okay that the National Security Advisor-Designate secretly conferred with the Russian ambassador about undermining U.S. sanctions, and you might think it's okay he lied about it to the FBI.

You might say that's all okay. You might say that's just what you need to do to win, but I don't think it's okay. I think it's immoral. I think it's unethical. I think it's unpatriotic. And yes, I think it's corrupt and evidence of collusion.

DAYUM!

Schiff ain't takin' your shit.....

And he's absolutely right. Everything we ALREADY know is immoral, unethical, and unpatriotic. And the attempts by the WH and the GOP to gloss over all of this are also immoral, unethical, and unpatriotic.
rtpoe

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #7379 on: March 28, 2019, 08:52:20 PM »
I shouldn't even need to pull a Repub "whataboutism" here, but to emphasize the point:

Could you imagine the Repub reaction if Secy. Clinton had done one-tenth of this mess during her campaign?!