Catch

• Z Cup
Re: Read any good books lately?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2003, 12:18:30 AM »
Since you've read Catcher in the Rye read Huck Finn by Mark Twain. A comparative report on the two earned an A in high school Literature. Don't ask when that was.  
If only...

JizzTits

• Z Cup
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2003, 01:47:13 AM »
Huck Finn was one of the many books i was supposed to read in high school...

but Catcher was one of the few i read completely...

anyway, post up your essay, i wanna read it.

"It's like being married to my best friend, but she lets me feel her boobs!"
-Homer Simpson talking about Marge

Catch

• Z Cup
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2003, 03:56:43 AM »
Now you did it. You made me admit how long ago that's been. Let's see... where is that file from 1968? Guess your out of luck JT.  Don't have anything further back than 1990.

One thing I do recall. The reason I pulled out all the stops on that paper was the teacher. She was 26 with long black hair and the biggest rack I had seen.  At that time she could hold her own against LDM.  
If only...

IMC

• D Cup
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2003, 09:39:24 AM »
Right now, I'm re-reading Cervantes' 'Don Quixote" for the first time in three or four years; it gets richer, sadder, and more heroic every time.  I've also been desultorily sampling Tom Stoppard's collected plays; heady, hilarious and, much like Cervantes, not too much to digest in random 30-to 40-minute sessions.  "Artist Descending a Staircase" and "Arcadia" are especially good.  

Afrogumby

• A Cup
    • http://quiz.ravenblack.net/blood.pl?biter=afrogumby
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2003, 10:40:12 AM »
I too am re-reading The Lord of the Rings, but I would have to say my favorite book is "No one Here Gets Out Alive", the Jim Morrison biography.

I have to deal with over 250 morons everyday and you have to ask why I drink so much.

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2003, 01:24:05 PM »
IMC, the Don Quixote you're reading... would it happen to be the Samuel Putnam translation? Coincidentally, that is the one favored by the author I recommended above, Jonathan Ames. IMHO, DQ (Don Quixote, not Dairy Queen) is one of the masterworks of the written word and as good as anything by 'Ol Bill for adaptation to live theater.

I can't believe that I'm the only one here who's read/reading Jonathan Ames (unless no one else wants to admit it)! Given his recent PR (he actually appeared on Letterman not too long ago... how often does a writer show up on late night talk shows), his happily shared tales of sexual and moral perversions, I'd have thought that he'd be the patron saint of some BEAers...  

Zasha

• Flexy Lady
    • www.bearchive.com/~Zasha
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2003, 12:58:09 AM »
Now sober (only one Corona) and reviewing this thread, I see that I've once again emabarrassed myself - but you guys are so nice you didn't point it out:

The Richard Belzer book that I mentioned is properly titled UFOs, JFK, and Elvis: Conspiracies You Don't Have to Be Crazy to Believe.

Freshly on my "To Read" list (courtesy of Rafe) are two by Neal Stephenson:  Cryptonomicon and In the Beginning...Was The Command Line.

I'd really like to find and read/see (I guess it's a movie, too) the story of Bill versus The Steves...I think it's called something like "The True Story of Silicon Valley" or something like that...Anyone?

Choosing doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Morphermor did me!...Er...Mine!

IMC

• D Cup
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2003, 08:20:00 AM »
As a matter of fact, Palomine, it is the Putnam translation...and having read a couple others as well as struggled with the original (archaized, precious, vulgarly colloquial) I think I can safely vouch for it.  I'm curious, though why Jonathan Ames so highly recommends it.  Can you elaborate?

BTW, I understand that Terry Gilliam was working on a sreen adaptation which he had to stop when his leading man died.  I hope he eventually gets to release something; I'd love to see his interpretation.

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2003, 09:20:00 PM »
I forget the name of it, but the documentary about the aborted making of Terry Gilliam's Don Quixote movie is supposed to be great... akin to Heart of Darkness (the wonderful doc on the making of Apocolypse Now). It's playing here, probably elsewhere too. I don't think there's much chance the movie itself will be finished, but you never know...

Ames didn't say specifically why that particular translation, just that it was his favorite, and the impression I had was that he'd been thru a few.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2003, 10:02:50 PM »
The documentary is called  Lost in La Mancha.

I just finished reading "Six Days of War: June 1967 and the Making of the Modern Middle East". If you want a better understanding of why the Middle East is screwed up, and how it got that way, this is the book for you. If I wanted to start some arguments here, I'd say that (in the book, at least) Israel doesn't come off too well - but that's for another time and place.

rtpoe  
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

prinz

• Z Cup
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2003, 06:30:01 AM »
Know what you mean..I lost a Cousin on the Israel attack on USS Liberty..Nasty little business swept under the carpet by US and Israel.. They apologized...Personally Id of sent the Alpa strike that USS America had ready and bombed the shit out of there gunboat docks at Hiffa..No apology nessary guys...now were even! PE    

Catch

• Z Cup
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2003, 07:23:16 AM »
Although I'm a strong supporter of Israel it would be interesting to hear the details that stood out to you rtpoe. They have done a lot of hair brained things since 1947.
If only...

Blax12

• M Cup
    • www.bearchive.com/~blax12
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2003, 07:56:24 AM »

Last one I finished is called "Fascisti: gli italiani di Mussolini, il regime degli italiani" (Fascists: Mussolini's italians, italians' regime). An historical essay by Giordano Bruno Guerri, a historician/journalist I like a lot (half liberal - half anarchyst, like me). It studies the consent fascism had in Italy through the 20's and the 30's before like a religion of the political party then like a religion where Mussolini himself was considered like a god.

Now I'm going to begin "From the Big Bang to the Black Holes" by Stephen Hawking.
I don't know anything about astrofisics but I'd like to know something: a friend of mine's father - very passionate to this stuff - told me this book is a good beginning.

I read somewhere that Einstein said that time is the movement of electrons in the materia. I know somebody postulated antimateria. I was wondering if antimateria is also anti-time. And if anti-time is no time or reverse time. And - if big bang's theory is correct and universe is continously expanding - if out of the universe we have the anti-materia and the anti-time.

Blax"I don't know anything about physics...help me, I don't know what I'm talking about "12  

Catch

• Z Cup
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2003, 04:13:04 PM »
The only part of Einstein that I have a firm grasp on is the relationship between gravity and time. As gravity increases time slows and as gravity decreases time speeds up.

As for anti-matter the difference is in the charge of the subatomic particles. The electron is positive and the proton is negative in anti-matter.

As for anti- time and temporal mechanics I almost flunked out of Star Fleet Academy because of a barely passing grade.  
If only...

homevintner

• L Cup
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2003, 09:50:16 PM »
The anti particle would also heve the opposite spin. At least I think so. It's been a  looong  time since I studied subatomic physics. I've always prefered astrophysics.  
"All religions seem to dislike breasts, but it's just the opposite with me." - Eric Idle