pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
Re: Ol' gOOber Is A Real Sweety
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2012, 10:37:58 PM »
No single measurement is particularly significant

Except for 0/0. That's significant.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »
Except for 0/0. That's significant.

Yea, that's a real bummer.  ;) ;D

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2012, 05:25:10 PM »
It`s not all bad. I work out at a gym every day and it really does keep my blood glucose under control. The best part is all the eye candy. ;)

Well, maybe I should start working out at gOOb's gym. Regular walks and watching my food has got my A1c down to 6.5. It is interesting to see which foods are high in carbs. My second career as a baker is on the rocks.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2012, 05:58:29 PM »
My A1c a month ago was 5.7. If I keep at it, my autopsy should read, "death by fitness." ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:02:25 PM by gOOber »
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
I`m waiting. ::)

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2014, 08:25:43 PM »
Needless to say, I can`t eat a high carb diet. ::)

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2017, 04:25:56 PM »
This morning...
DOCTOR (walking into examination room): Hi.
ME: Hey. How are you?
DOCTOR: Pretty good.
ME: And how am I?
DOCTOR: Diabetic.

Damn. Can't smoke, drink, or eat anymore. No vices left except for cursing, gambling, and perversion.

gonZo

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
Mostly perversion.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 10:51:26 PM »
I'm diabetic but I've finally figured out a way to live with it that works for me. Back in September of 2015 I was at the Doctor's ( Endocrinologist to be exact ) and she told me, " lose the weight or lose your feet ". The way she said it was like, " if you don't give a shit, I don't give a shit either ".  I had been injecting insulin and leaving purple marks on my belly area but not doing me much good. Why ? Because I was eating the same stupid way. The insulin masked the damage but it was unsustainable. I was losing blood circulation in my feet due to excessive weight. I'm only 5' 5" feet ( 1.65 meters tall if I'm ramrod straight ) but I weighed 247 pounds ( 112 Kilos ) at the  time so the tremendous strain in my body was evident. That night I pondered about my life and decided I was not going to commit slow motion suicide.

I went online and read about what to do and I finally found something I could live with. The problem with diets is that they do not work for 95% of the people. All calories are not the same. As a diabetic, your real enemy is ... sugar. Not only the sweet stuff like granular sugar in a packet but that which your body naturally changes into sugar like carbohydrates. The other thing is portion control. Eat well but don't stuff yourself.  So I no longer consume much of anything made with potatoes, rice or wheat. So I only have once in a while French fries, steamed rice or bread for example. Portion control means teaching your stomach to be satisfied with less.

The first 3-4 months were rough since it is hard not to eat pasta or sourdough bread for example and of course, not going to the buffet. But I got used to it and now, if I eat more than usual, my stomach hurts. And eating mostly meat ( which I love ) means the carbs are not missed that much. The result ? I now weigh between 160 - 162 pounds ( 73 Kilos ) , I sl3ep much better, I feel younger and I'm able to perform sexually again. Not too bad for a 60 year old man. I don't use insulin any longer and I can keep my sugar levels in a normal range. My cholesterol is at 85 and my blood pressure is at 105/60 at 51 beats. I do moderate exercise, mostly walking up and down the hill I live at and not overdoing it. And like Gonzo I remain a pervert. So it can be done if you want to change.

Am I really healthy ? Not really. Just like a car that suffered a large accident, you can take it to the body shop and they can make it look good BUT that car will never be as good  as when it came off the assembly line and people are the same way. I have permanent nerve damage on the bottoms of my feet and while they are no longer discolored like they used to be, I have to daily inspect them to make sure they are no cuts or wounds on them to prevent infection. My joints hurt in cold weather and eating anything with sugar makes  my blood sugar spike horribly. So diabetes can be controlled but it can't be cured. Once you get it, you are cursed for life.

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2017, 01:04:11 AM »
I'm diabetic
My Grandma was a diabetic, she died in 1972. I'm just curious how you take insulin?  She had to have injections done at home, my mother used to do it.  But I assume things have moved on now.
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 07:48:23 AM »
I'm diabetic
My Grandma was a diabetic, she died in 1972. I'm just curious how you take insulin?  She had to have injections done at home, my mother used to do it.  But I assume things have moved on now.

I don't use insulin anymore. The weight loss plus not eating sugary stuff and minimizing carbohydrate consumption has eliminated the need for it, thank God. I do still use Metformin pills but a couple of pills a day is a lot easier and pleasant than injecting insulin. I used to self inject using a insulin pen needle system. They are pre-loaded cartridges with markings and all I had to do was screw on the disposable needles, measure quantity and inject. Then throw away the needle and put the cartridge back into the refrigerator. I still monitor my sugar with the testing kit at least three times a day.

gonZo

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »
Thanks for your comments, Sol; they'll help me put this into perspective. I'm a little too far gone to be classified as pre-diabetic, but I'm not in too much trouble at this point. Doctor offered a choice of drugs or diet/exercise, and I'm already on too many drugs for other conditions, so I'll make a go at handling it through diet and exercise first, and see whether that's working in six months.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 09:50:40 PM »
Thanks for your comments, Sol; they'll help me put this into perspective. I'm a little too far gone to be classified as pre-diabetic, but I'm not in too much trouble at this point. Doctor offered a choice of drugs or diet/exercise, and I'm already on too many drugs for other conditions, so I'll make a go at handling it through diet and exercise first, and see whether that's working in six months.

I tell people that congratulate me that the voyage, in this case, is never ending. You simply can't go back to the way you were. You will have to modify your life, your behavior and accept that there is no end. At 60 years of age you simply can't eat like a 20 year old. If you have caused damage to your body like I have, you change, period. And I don't count calories because counting calories is bullshit, a fool's errand. A thousand calories from pasta will affect your body completely different than a thousand calories of meat. I've lost 80+ pounds and I eat plenty of meat. Your body, despite what vegetarians/vegans think, was built to consume meat. Otherwise like cows all of our teeth would be molars and our stomach would number four instead. Our bodies were not built to consume food constantly like we do now but more intermittently. We consume much more than we need because we have figured out how to eat whenever we want and the supply is practically endless. Our bodies were designed to go for long periods without food and we have the ability to eat a lot because we may need the sustenance during the inevitable bad times. Agriculture now is so efficient that obesity is the problem, not hunger. So I suggest you read up and find out what will work for you and stick to it. Don't think that what works for me will work for you because we are all individuals and one size does not fit all. And don't lose heart, be positive.  :)

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 01:43:13 AM »
You simply can't go back to the way you were. You will have to modify your life, your behavior and accept that there is no end.
This is the conclusion I came to a few years ago.  I see people my age carrying on like they are 25, but I think this is a mistake - they'll regret it.

I don't drink any alcohol now as I don't don't think my body will cope with it like it did when I was 20.  Like you say, once you get to your 50's and above (I'm 54) you have to change your ways permanently. 

The only thing I would say abut red meat is the amount of saturated fat in it.  I love red meat, but eat it rarely now, instead I eat fish or maybe chicken.  I've cut out coffee more-or-less, I have a cup a day, but mostly I drink black tea.

The best thing I did to get some exercise was to get rid of my car - I realise that isn't possible for everyone, but it has worked for me.
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 07:21:52 AM »
The best thing I did to get some exercise was to get rid of my car - I realise that isn't possible for everyone, but it has worked for me.

Impossible for me. Las Vegas does not have a very effective mass transit system and the city is very sprawled out. My commute to work is 22 miles one way from home and the city bus would take way too long to get there. And about red meat, only massive portions in a constant daily manner are harmful. Like anything else, moderation is key. Remember, poison is only poison in the right dosage. Broccoli has cyanide which is deadly for insects but not for man. Why ? Because man is hundreds of times more massive than insects.