gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
Ol' gOOber Is A Real Sweety
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:17:37 PM »
The last two weeks I've been pissin' and drinkin' like it was going out of style. Saw the doc today and my blood is sweet enough for a vampire's dessert. I've got diabetes. The bitter irony is that no one I know consumes LESS sugar than I do. It's not all bad, the doc gave me a cute little toy to test my blood every day.

It would be sweet if y'all could give some tips on living with diabetes.
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Re: 'Ol gOOber Is A Real Sweety
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 05:12:05 PM »
I've very little personal experience with it, but just wanted to wish you well goob.

Added later: I'm attaching this pic only because of it's filename... I left it as found.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:19:15 PM by gonZo »

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
Re: Ol ' gOOber Is A Real Sweety
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 05:39:12 PM »
Thanks Pal, diabetes seems to be really popular these days so I'm not going to feel lonely. The bad news is that I'll have to curtail my alcohol consumption. The good news is I already eat the diet for diabetics.

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 07:05:36 PM »
Exercising is amazing in leveling out your sugar, most people with diabetes swear on exercising in making one feel so much better.

They keep repeating that stem cell may be the answer for the disease. My mom has it in her 60 and so I suspect that I may one day have it too, and she doesn't have a sweet tooth either, so sometimes it come down to DNA for disease. It is also one of the 60 disease related to weight issue, so again exercising can distribute the body more efficient and leaner, therefore reducing the stress load.
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

Q_BE

• P Cup
  • Dreaming of a Scarlett Spring
    • Q-BE's Ramblings
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 07:45:27 PM »
A hearty well-wish to you, gOOber. You make my forum experience that much funnier with all your "laughs and titters", and especially your irreverent political humor that is a refreshing drink of right-wing kool-aid in a desert of left-wing bias.

Quote:

gOOber said:
The bad news is that I'll have to curtail my alcohol consumption.

I'll happily drink whatever your avatar doesn't finish.

Quote:

The good news is I already eat the diet for diabetics.

It's not a diet, it's a LIFESTYLE.

Q-"Or so they say"-BE

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
Re: Ol' gOOber Is A Real Sweety
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 09:24:55 PM »
So like me you have Type 2 diabetes ( adult onset diabetes ). I've been able to control it with Gluboryde and Actos. My doctor says I could probably get rid of it if I changed my diet but I've been succesful in rationalizing, delaying and denying so I continue to defile my body. I hope you have more strenght than I in this self-inflicted disease because I don't wish this on anybody. You have my prayers and wish you best of luck.

notty

• Z Cup
  • Deflating egos since 2004
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 11:17:43 PM »
Don't just exercise. Sexercise!
To paraphrase Poul Anderson, "Intelligence is a wonderful thing. It provides us with reasons for doing what we were going to do anyway."

notty's breast augmentation thread

IowaGuy

• X Cup
  • The fattest Mr. Clean Impersonator since Elvis
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 03:25:35 AM »
Pfft. You don't really have diabetes till they take a foot.

Iowa "Double Stump" Guy

PS: Keep a close eye on that bloodsugar, and make sure you follow the doc's orders. They might be know it all jerks, but in this case, that's a good thing.

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
  • Morphs are updated each week!
    • Zorro" Zorromorphs @ Shutterfly
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:01:28 AM »
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2003. My daily doses  are Metformin and Glubride (sp). I occasionally have diet pepsi or coke, but mostly stick to the sugarless flavored waters. One of the negative things is I sometimes have my blood sugar go too low, so I keep some sort of candy for those times.

Other than that it is not too much to worry about because it becomes part of your daily routine.

I get all my meds from the VA (Veterans Administration) which is sort of like dealing with La Cosa Nostra. You go in alive and come out dead, but instead of your best friend doing it, a doctor who can not get malpractice insurance on the outside will state "Dead? Oh no....that can't happen here!"  
WHEN STARTING OR ANSWERING THREADS/POSTS, LINKS ARE SHOWN TO PROVIDE SOURCE INFORMATION INSTEAD OF JUST COPYING/PASTING PERSONAL OPINIONS.

MaxBigfoot

• ZZZ Cup
  • Maximum Manga Maven
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 01:46:22 PM »
I had a friend with Diabetes, I'm don't know what type it was.
He had to take a blood test several times a day, and inject insulin.  Unfortunately, he refused to stop doing things he wasn't supposed to do, and his health, and eyesight continued deteriorating.  They started to have to cut parts of his feet off, and he was experiencing bleeding from various parts of his body, including inside his eyes and in his brain.  I was a pallbearer at his funeral, he passed away at 47, the same age I am now.

Goober, please live right, follow what your doctors say.
I agree with the other guys you're an indispensable part of this forum, and I don't want another favorite poster go the way of others on the memorial threads.

MaxBigfoot

To change Forum settings so that you see 50 topics per page:
Go to Forum Profile
Hover cursor over "Modify Profile" button in top left
Select "Look and Layout"
Scroll to "Topics to display per page", select 50 in dropdown menu
Click on "Change Profile" at bottom right of page.

You can also change "Messages to display per page" to 50 in the same way.

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
Thanks y'all for the well wishes, advice and humor. I guess I should expect that from my breast friends.

MasterDragonfly

• Oh My God Cup
  • sponsor of collared_cherri's 1000cc implants
    • Larger Implants Info
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »
It sounds like a bit of a nuisance, but I know at least one friend who had to deal with it at a much younger age.  He just recently told me he got approved for an insulin pump.  He's pretty jazzed about that.

So it might not be the best news you've had all year (and the year has only just started), but the diagnosis could have certainly been a lot worse.  

One thing I don't know... can you drink coffee?  Black?

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 07:02:57 AM »
The doctor thinks I can control it by taking the medicine "Janumet". I think black coffee and tea without milk or natural sweeteners are good for diabetics.

MasterDragonfly

• Oh My God Cup
  • sponsor of collared_cherri's 1000cc implants
    • Larger Implants Info
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 09:04:19 AM »
Although I'm not diabetic, I tend strongly to avoiding "sugar water" of any variety, Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, whatever.  I put the sugar-free versions of the same drinks into the same category, in part due to not wanting to train myself to have a liking for more or less the same flavour, in part due to a general dislike for man-made sweeteners (reinforced by news I heard last year about "new studies" vs "the brain").  So it's a bit disheartening when I go to a restaurant to order a non-alcoholic beverage, since that pretty much eliminates everything but water.  

I've got a link somewhere for some Japanese teas (chilled bottles) on an American's blog.  Apparently he acquired quite the taste for them after living in Japan for a while, and managed to shed some unwanted weight in the process.  I'll dig out the link, if interested.  I know I've found the same brand in Whole Foods, and there are at least a few flavours.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 12:14:32 PM »
My final wife has something close to type two diabetes, so she checks her blood sugar and watches what she eats. Each time I pee for my doctor he looks at me severely and tells me I'm not diabetic "yet", which I take as some kind of reproach.

It sounds like you've got a handle on it, gOOber.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.