cyberamon

• D Cup
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sodapopjunkies
Origin and meaning of your monicker
« on: May 08, 2003, 04:32:29 PM »
I've made this thread a sticky.  Feel free to talk about your name, monicker, pseudonym, nom de guerre: this invitation is equally valid for newbies and old hands.  This way we'll have an ongoing reference for name origins.

[cyberamon's original post] So as I click around here at the forum, I see a lot of interesting user names. So I'm curious, were did you get your names from?

GALVATRON

• Z Cup
  • Obey Billy Zane
    • UndeadRobot
Re: name game
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 05:05:22 PM »
Unicron named me.  

Sleeper

• G Cup
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 05:18:01 PM »
I took my correct first name. It is easier to keep.  

Snobb

• D Cup
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 05:20:37 PM »
I once fetched a cigar and a fine whiskey out of my rucksack on a camping site (had no shower for three days and needed a bit of civilization...)

Since then I go with the nickname "snob". I spell it with double "b" on the internet because "snob" was already taken when i registered my first ever email-adress.

Snobb Snobb Snobb

(At least I found out how to use html... hehe)

Shimmerin

• F Cup
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 05:30:08 PM »
Old D&D char name that just sorta stuck as a nickname and a cyber handle.  I used to use Strider but do you realize how many other people took that name?
No tree's were harmed in the making of this message, however billions of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

MunchWolf

• What Tagline?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 05:33:21 PM »
I like food

-Munch "and other things I can put in my mouth ... like nipples" Wolf

E_W

• X Cup
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2003, 05:38:01 PM »
Well my real name is Elvis Wissardsson...
Seriously though, it's an alternative form of the name I used for my alter ego way back in the mid-90's when I was into fantasy RPG:s.

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2003, 05:53:07 PM »
First, I just have to say that Galvatron's "explanation' really cracks me up.  Bwah ha ha!  I belive this is a classic example of what is called "circular logic."

I've had a story in mind for ages that features a Druul Empire towards its end.  I hope to have the first chapter ready this month for Zasha's perusal, and then to finally finish and post the danged thing this year.  Obviously, "Druul" "coincidentally" sounds like "drool."

Dick_Woods

• X Cup
    • http://www.unlearnnow.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2003, 05:57:54 PM »
Good question....we just kind of picked it...could have been Bonnie and Clyde, Elvis and Pricilla...Tony and Cleo (Anthony and Cleopatra)...It was based on the movie "Fun with Dick and Jane"...we *do* manage to have alot of fun.

Peace -D&J  

TheHerald

• Ink & Paint Club Outcast
  • Ink & Paint Club Outcast
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2003, 05:59:55 PM »
When this question came up years ago, I almost left lurk mode to respond.    Now I'm "out in the open" and probably should answer this time.  

Reason 1: I use to be in the Society for Creative Anachronism (a medieval recreation group that, among other things, bash each other with rattan {bamboo} sticks while wearing armor). I was (you guessed it) the Herald of my local "shire"! The shield I place on my altered drawings is a simpler version of my chosen "device" (heraldic symbol), although technically, only knights and higher nobility were awarded the right to a device. DruulEmpire might be interested to know that the local shire I use to be the Herald for was called "The Shire of the Shattered Oak" since he calls me "Oak Lair" after my city "Eau Claire".

Reason 2: I'm a big fan of a series of books by Mercedes Lackey called "The Heralds of Valdemar". Once again, I can't claim to BE a "Herald of Valdemar" since I haven't met the requirements that the Mercedes Lackey fan club have for that title.

So I self-proclaimed myself TheHerald of the BEA and nobody has denied me the title so far.  

If you ever have a question about Heraldry, I MIGHT remember or be able to find the answer to basic questions. Just don't ask me what YOUR family device is (it's very unlikely you have one unless you can trace your family back to european nobility).    

Let's see now, we have a king (BuggerKing), a prince (Prinz Eugen), two wizards, a Warlock, a Saint, a Herald ..and LOTS of Angels.  
Thank you for your patience as I indulge my need to share.

Rafe

• Coito Ergo Sum
    • Digital Discipline
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2003, 08:02:20 PM »
Mine's a mild bastardization of what shows up on my paycheck, driver's license, and birth certificate.  In other words, it's my real-life nickname, bestowed upon me in college by a friend who felt I needed one [since none had previously stuck, other than "Hey, Freakboy!" *cough*].

About the only people who don't call me "Rafe" are my immediate family.  The handful of people who know my real name don't bother to use it anymore anyways.  
<i>
Prince of Darkness seeks Willing Wench.
Flexible hours, shoddy pay.
Should possess improbable bustline and liquor store.</i>

CarlTL

• ZZZ Cup
  • King of the Avatars
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2003, 08:38:12 PM »
Mine bears no resemblance to my real name. The use of the name CarlTL is just something I came up with to sooth my paranoia about anyone I know outside of here finding about my net habits.

Its not like I am ashamed of any one here...  

Tesseract

• G Cup
  • Not **94** the Kool-Aid
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2003, 09:08:39 PM »
OK, I finally got off my butt and looked for where I got my name from.

I got it from a book by Rudolf v. B Rucker called GEOMETRY, RELATIVITY AND THE FOURTH DIMENSION. I wanted something different and unusual.  

This cover may look familiar...

Sadistyk

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2003, 10:14:02 PM »
I got mine from a wrestling promoter after a match.  The building we were in had a 30ft. balcony and I decided to do a moonsault(180 degree backflip) off of it.  The crowd ate it up.  Also in the same match, I beat the living hell out of my opponent(who was much bigger than me).  After the match the promoter and a bunch of the guys in the locker room came up to me and said that was the most sadistic shit they had ever seen.  After that, the name stuck.  I did change the spelling a little for gimmick reasons, although I don't wrestle under the name Sadistyk.  Still get called that quite a lot though by different wrestlers/promoters.

MissChievous

• Finger Food
  • The Emprah Protects
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2003, 10:16:45 PM »
because i have an IQ of 147 (im so proud of that  ) so my name is just amazing
"She's like our own personal Harley Quinn, except Harley looks at her and says "boy is SHE fucking nuts!"" - Agent Dee