3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
Gif issues!
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
Palomine says his machine locks up when there is a gif loaded on the pages, but when I go to a page the gif doesn't animate until you click on them, like how pictures show up reduce size until you mouse click on them. Now he is asking to not load gif directly to the forum, but to link them to another website, in order to keep his machine from seizing up.

Any reason why his machine freezes up with gif file, and with me the gif don't even play until you click on them? Browser issues? should we ban gif file for the forum? I been told that it is fix, but he is still having problems with them. I could load them to photobucket and eventually they'll be gone over a period of time, but then the BEA wont have a searchable record of them. We have lost so much already from the hackers. Is it the best interest of the BEA admin to preserve pictures on popular topic, or minimize the BEA forum/gallery with using free time limited gallery elsewhere?
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
Re: Gif issues!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »
Palomine says that one of the gif file start scrolling and the others do not.

What factor keep the Gif files from scrolling automatically? Honestly is there a way to keep all gif file from scrolling, until you chose to click on them? or make them a certain size so that all avatar can animate? or maybe offer a preference to turn off gif file for those that are having problems with their browser handling them? From what I gather Palomine has a bandwidth issue or slower machine.
"Yesterday, Reince Priebus called this whole story a 'nothing burger,'" he said. "Well these emails have turned it into an all-you-can-prosecute buffet."

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 04:06:02 PM »

Actually 3D, you are mistaken. I did not say that my machine 'locked up' so if that's what you recall, please consult your PM box and you'll see that you misremember.

I DID say that when you embed an automatically loading/playing gif... often an meg in size or more... it must load in its entirety for ALL users (not just me) every time they open a thread containing one of those images. That takes TIME... sometimes quite a few seconds, since not everyone has a cable modem and the latest dual/quad-core CPU. It's worth noting that you are just one of a few users who recently began posting a lot of these huge animated gifs in forum threads... so it's not uncommon for there to be two, or even three of these things that must be loaded (and start automatically playing) before the browser is done with that page.

All I asked you to do (and Agent Dee and Gwaang too, who both complied without complaint) is to remember that the whole point of the forum is sharing: we ALL appreciate your posts but simply ask that if you're going to put up such large files, that you do so in a way that lets others DECIDE if they want to load/play them... by simply LINKING to the file via an URL or a still-image stamp (as Gwaang did several times today).

So, please just consider the request... there's no need to exaggerate my original message to you or for us to jump to extreme conclusions and ban gifs altogether as you suggest. We can all enjoy them provided that some minor effort is made to post them in a considerate fashion, alright?

Palomine says his machine locks up when there is a gif loaded on the pages, but when I go to a page the gif doesn't animate until you click on them, like how pictures show up reduce size until you mouse click on them. Now he is asking to not load gif directly to the forum, but to link them to another website, in order to keep his machine from seizing up.

Any reason why his machine freezes up with gif file, and with me the gif don't even play until you click on them? Browser issues? should we ban gif file for the forum? I been told that it is fix, but he is still having problems with them. I could load them to photobucket and eventually they'll be gone over a period of time, but then the BEA wont have a searchable record of them. We have lost so much already from the hackers. Is it the best interest of the BEA admin to preserve pictures on popular topic, or minimize the BEA forum/gallery with using free time limited gallery elsewhere?

I'll also correct your memory re: 'lost so much from the hackers' ...again, that is NOT what happened. As has been explained more than once, ALL of the missing forum attachments were lost due to a system administrator backup/restore snafu that happened AFTER the hacking... the hacking did not RESULT in those losses. I point this out to clarify the issue for you.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Palomine

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »
Palomine says that one of the gif file start scrolling and the others do not.

What factor keep the Gif files from scrolling automatically? Honestly is there a way to keep all gif file from scrolling, until you chose to click on them? or make them a certain size so that all avatar can animate? or maybe offer a preference to turn off gif file for those that are having problems with their browser handling them? From what I gather Palomine has a bandwidth issue or slower machine.

Again 3D... you misunderstand. I don't think there's anything that can be set here to FORCE animated gifs NOT to start loading/playing in full... if you know of such an extension that will work with this forum software then please inform us. For this NOT to be a problem for those of us with less-than-state-of-the-art machines (mine is hardly the SLOWEST here, nor is my connection the slowest either... so my points apply to plenty of other users potentially) all you need to is simply LINK to your animation instead of embedding it inside your post as if it were a regular JPEG.

There's no need to over-react to this... I'm simply exercising my discretion as a moderator on behalf of the forum to ASK your understanding in this matter, as I and my colleagues have done countless times on many matters over the years.

Just put your anim gifs on an image host like Agent Dee, Gwaang (and so many other users who do so routinely regardless of animation or not so as not to be limited by attachment file size) and just post a LINK to it from your forum post... that way, everyone can enjoy what you want to share WITHOUT having to load and play it every time they open the thread, alright?

Added later: and to correct your other misunderstanding, the hackers were NOT responsible for the thousands of lost image attachments... as has been publicly explained a few times, all those attachments were lost due to a backup/restore error on the part of a sysadmin around the time of the hacks... but the hacking itself did NOT delete those files. Like yourself, I am sorry to see them all disappear, but there seems to be nothing that we can do to fix it at this point. :(

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 04:17:25 PM by Palomine »

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 05:37:08 PM »
Fuck, I was just trying to help!

I consider the matter is closed, and I wont use Gif files anymore.

Palomine

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »
Fuck, I was just trying to help!

I consider the matter is closed, and I wont use Gif files anymore.
Do as you see fit. I simply asked that you consider using links instead of embedding the large animated files directly... as many users already do anyway. If you don't want to do that, and instead choose to not use gifs anymore, that's up to you.

CarlTL

• ZZZ Cup
  • King of the Avatars
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 08:12:48 PM »

3deroticer

• Oh My God Cup
    • CyberLee
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 12:19:54 AM »
Well, I consider your first request and chose to use gif, and you got mad and wrote a lengthy letter of complaint. I tried to help, you got even more madder. So fuck it, I wont use gif
I can use Adam's creamy or nutty instead! Only choosy mother of pearl chose Gif! Oh Lordy lawd!!!!

Hugeboobfan

• F Cup
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 09:49:21 AM »
So fuck it, I wont use gif
I don't blame you.  Sheesh!

Skippy Super-Chunk ftw!

Bramlet

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 07:51:52 PM »
Pals!

How to create a gif?

And how to connect a few to get a longer gif, almost a movie?

Thanks!

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »
Bramlet, you'll need an application to create gifs. The applications you'll be able to use depend on the operating system you're running. You didn't provide any information about that, so we don't know what to suggest for you.

You could also find this information for yourself by opening google and typing "gif maker" in the search field.

Bramlet

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 05:10:11 AM »
Done! ;)