Feral

• E Cup
Re: The Battle of the Smartphones: iPhone vs. Android
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 05:53:31 PM »
Great, its good to see a real threat to Apple's domination in the cute trendy gadget scene.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 08:50:06 PM »
Yes, it's good to see Motorola doing well since the Razor phone of a few years back.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 08:56:29 PM »
As much as I like the Droid, I think the Nexus One is a better Android phone. Can't wait to try out an HTC Incredible, I hear it's even better than the Nexus One.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

RDaneel

• F Cup
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 11:08:09 AM »
Apple needs to get off the pot and give ATT the exclusive boot. You've gotta think that by now Apple's more than paid off the R&D on the phone.

That's the biggest impediment to the iPhone; with no multitasking a close second.
Intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 02:05:30 PM »
Apple needs to get off the pot and give ATT the exclusive boot. You've gotta think that by now Apple's more than paid off the R&D on the phone.
Funny you should mention that...

NetworkWorld: "AT&T Maintains Its Grip on the iPhone Until 2012"

"Looks like you can toss your Verizon iPhone dreams in the garbage for now, as AT&T -- the network with the lowest customer satisfaction rate and most dropped calls -- holds an exclusive on the iPhone until 2012. Apparently everything we thought about the contract's expiration was wrong.

Before the original iPhone launched in 2007, USA Today reported that Apple and AT&T has entered a five-year carrier exclusivity agreement. That report was never verified, though, and the terms of the agreement between Apple and AT&T have long been the subject of debate. Until this week, that is, when Engadget poured through documents and found that, in 2008, a class-action lawsuit alleging monopoly was filed against Apple. Apple's response confirmed the five-year deal: "[T]here was widespread disclosure of [AT&T's] five-year exclusivity and no suggestion by Apple or anyone else that iPhones would become unlocked after two years."

Still, as Engadget notes, it is possible that the terms of the contract have changed since 2007 or 2008. "Contracts can be canceled, amended, and breached in many ways, and AT&T's spotty recent service history plus the explosion of the iPhone and the mobile market in general have given Apple any number of reasons to revisit the deal," Engadget says.

It's also quite possible that the launch of the iPad may have brought Apple and AT&T back together, for an even longer stay. When the iPad was released, Apple once again shook hands with AT&T's troublesome network to offer its no-contract-required $30 per month 3G data plan on the iPad. It's possible that during the iPad chats, Apple and AT&T renegotiated the terms of their contract, which was on death row and set to be zapped, according to analysts. Then again, there's a chance Apple and AT&T might've renegotiated to end the contract sooner rather than later -- nobody knows for certain...."

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 03:33:54 AM »
So the iPhone 4 has been revealed at WWDC. Any thoughts?

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 03:47:08 AM »
Oh man:

SFGate: "Data congestion thwarts Steve Jobs' iPhone demo"

AT&T = EPIC FAIL. For real.

J25

• A Cup
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2010, 01:55:12 PM »
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that Jobs was trying to do the demonstration over a WIFI connection (local network), not the 3G cellular data connection (AT&T ).  I think the issue was that the wifi was overloaded because of insatiable demand from the audience (who would have thunk that people at an tech conference have devices that use wifi?)

I say: -2 to whoever decided not to set up a second private  network for the demo Iphone to run on.

-1 to At&t for still being behind the bandwith ball, so that Apple couldn't run the demo on the cellular network.

-1 to anyone streaming(narrowcast) radio or crap  on the cellular network that can be  Broadcast over am, fm ,xm whatever , it ties up the network, SF and NY are really slow from what I have seen on the internet.

Disclaimer: At&T does run some wifi hotspots, they are extra crappy with sprinkles of marketing bloat on top.  When I have tried to log on at interstate rest stops with AT&T wifi,  the  required self installing At&t software failed.   If the wifi  Steve Jobs/ Apple were using was actually an At&t wifi, that is another level of -1's

Rant over.
"Stay Busty, my friends."

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2010, 12:52:57 AM »
If I recall, he started trying to use the AT&T 3G network, then switched to wi-fi, and the fail continued from there. At one point, he asked some staffer what he suggested should be done, and the dude shouted back "VERIZON!" :) Here's the video of the relevant portion of the keynote.

NetworkWorld: "First (official) look: Apple's new iPhone 4"
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:57:49 AM by TheZookie007 »

Q_BE

• P Cup
  • Dreaming of a Scarlett Spring
    • Q-BE's Ramblings
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2010, 02:21:41 AM »
What's the app store comparison now between the iPhone and Android?

If Android can load nearly as many apps as iPhone, then I'll buy into the Google monster.

Q-"Sooner rather than later, Google will own the world"-BE :o

J25

• A Cup
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2010, 03:29:14 AM »
Thanks Zookie..... Verizon... Thats priceless... I think I could hear his teeth gnashed together in response.

Q-"Sooner rather than later, Google will own the world"-BE Shocked
.... that is the part that scares me, its a love/ hate relationship.
"Stay Busty, my friends."

RDaneel

• F Cup
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 12:48:25 PM »
I got a text message from ATT that I "qualify" for an upgrade to the new iPhone for "only $18". What they won't answer, however, is if I upgrade do I still qualify for the old data rate or am I relegated to the "dumb@$$" group for giving up that feature.

Anyone got any current, reliable info on that?
Intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2010, 04:32:48 AM »
I got a text message from ATT that I "qualify" for an upgrade to the new iPhone for "only $18". What they won't answer, however, is if I upgrade do I still qualify for the old data rate or am I relegated to the "dumb@$$" group for giving up that feature.

Anyone got any current, reliable info on that?

You could try this, I suppose:

"What's your upgrade eligibility?

If you grabbed an iPhone 3G at launch in 2008, then chances are your contract is up this year. (The same is true of some people who bought the iPhone 3GS at launch in 2009.) AT&T is offering all iPhone customers whose contracts expire in 2010 the chance to upgrade immediately to the iPhone 4 at subsidized rates with a new two-year contract. That means you can get the iPhone 4 for $199 (16GB) or $299 (32GB), even if your contract doesn't expire until December 2010.

If you're not sure when your contract expires you can check your upgrade eligibility on Apple's Web site.

Which data plan?

If you're a current iPhone customer, you can hold on to your unlimited data plan unless you choose to add certain new wireless services to your account such as AT&T's new tethering feature.

New iPhone owners are going to have to pick one of AT&T's new tiered data plans. You can choose between the $15-a-month plan, which offers 200MB of 3G data access or the $20-a-month plan, which offers 2GB of data. You can find more detailed information about AT&T's new data rates here.

To figure out how much data they need, current iPhone users can log into their AT&T account online and check their usage. Another option is AT&T's Data Calculator, which lets you play around with usage rates to help you figure out how much data you use on a monthly or daily basis. The calculator takes you through a series of questions such as how many emails you send in a day and how many hours of music or video you plan on streaming. Then at the bottom, a red indicator approximates how much data you'll need.

As a rough guide, AT&T says 200MB is enough data to to send and receive 1,000 e-mails (no attachments) and 150 e-mails with attachments, view 400 Web pages, post 50 photos on social media sites, and watch 20 minutes of streaming video per month."

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
  • Morphs are updated each week!
    • Zorro" Zorromorphs @ Shutterfly
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 04:20:43 PM »
I just went through all these posts again and finally decided to respond.

I am a Tier 2 tech at T-Mobile and have to work with all the phones we sell.

Currently the most chats I get ( I am in Technical Care web chat now) are for the MyTouch, Cliq, Blackberry 9700, 8520, HTC HD2 and the Nexus 1.

Every now and I get a G1 or one of the older model Windows based phones and rarely a Sidekick.

Most of Androld based phones chats are for low memory errors. Freezing up, slow and so forth.

I myself have an old Blackberry 8100 that I upgraded myself with the 4.5 operating system software from RIM.

My point is that no matter what phone you prefer they ALL will have good and bad things happen.

Right now the HTC HD2 is one that has many flaws. It reminds me of how the G1 had problems as soon as it hit the market. Despite this, they still continue to run out of them at the stores.

I just bought a Cliq, because out of all of our phones we do not get that my calls or chats with it.

By the way here is a morph pointing to the right.

WHEN STARTING OR ANSWERING THREADS/POSTS, LINKS ARE SHOWN TO PROVIDE SOURCE INFORMATION INSTEAD OF JUST COPYING/PASTING PERSONAL OPINIONS.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2010, 01:35:26 AM »
Thanks, Zorro! I'm not a great fan of the Cliq myself. I will probably either get an iPhone 3GS, jailbreak it and unlock it -- anything to get away from AT&T -- or just get a Nexus One. But I'm in no hurry.

Well, the latest bad news from the iPhone camp: seems if you hold the handset the wrong way, you will go from 5 bars to none. Here's a technical explanation for that phenomenon. Steve Jobs had a brilliant solution for this: "don't hold it that way." Or, spend another 39 bucks for a bumper that will make your $300 phone work the way you'd think you'd paid to make work. Hmmmmm.

Funny or Die: "iPhone 4, the Deleted Scenes"

"Hitler Reacts To iPhone 4 Reception Problems"

And here's Gizmodo's collection of the best semi-solutions for this current problem. My solution: don't buy an iPhone 4.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 02:03:20 PM by TheZookie007 »