PregNut

• ZZZ Cup
  • Pregnancy: Mother Nature's BE.
    • http://forum.bearchive.com/index.php/topic,155796.msg157416.html#msg157416
Re: The Battle of the Smartphones: iPhone vs. Android
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »
I just saw my first iPhone 4 commercial, and nearly everyone in the commercial were holding the phone 'wrong.'
"Whenever someone talks about doing something for reasons of justice, you should put your hand in your pocket, because you're about to get it picked."

Avatar courtesy of Getty Images.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 01:37:28 AM »
YouTube: "iPhone4 vs HTC Evo"

"Are you happy? Your fucking stupidity has killed me! Now my goddamn cat is homeless! I'm no longer alive! I'm dead!"

"I need a white one!...Can you waive the activation fee?"
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2010, 05:08:30 PM »
It's always interesting to see how much Apple is hosing you for.

Huffington Post: "Apple iPhone 4 Parts Cost $187.51, Analysts Say"

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »
It's always interesting to see how much Apple is hosing you for.

Huffington Post: "Apple iPhone 4 Parts Cost $187.51, Analysts Say"

It's worth noting that research and development, design, manufacturing facitilies/contracts, marketing and support are all ALSO part of a manufacturer's costs... it's not simply parts.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2010, 01:28:07 AM »
That is true, but when you consider that most Apple stuff is "designed in California" but made in suicide camps, er, I mean, overseas production facilities... :)

Meanwhile, although the Force is strong in this one, this is one time Steve Jobs can't pull that Jedi mind trick and expect us to fall for it:

Mashable: "Leaked Docs Show Apple Knows About iPhone 4's Flaws"

"According to documents leaked to Boy Genius Report today, AppleCare representatives are being given a strong company line to deliver to unhappy iPhone 4 owners who complain about reception issues.

Employees are told to say that the device's reception performance "is the best we have ever shipped" and that its critical antenna flaws are "a fact of life in the wireless world." They are told not to perform service on iPhones with these problems and instead to give customers a PR-driven recitative instead.

In a nutshell, Apple knows the phone has problems but will insist that users are simply "holding it wrong."

These statements are dead ringers for CEO Steve Jobs's own assertions that the iPhone 4 antenna and reception issues do not, in fact, exist. "There is no reception issue," he told one user. But the very fact that this document exists suggests that Apple execs know there is indeed a widespread hardware flaw, even if they're **86** to address it publicly at this time.

Outside the reality distortion field, on the other hand, we and many others have been able to duplicate the issue being discussed: When held by its sides, which are composed of a metal antenna band, the phone's reception quality drops dramatically. iPhone owners in our newsroom have seen reception decrease from five to two bars simply from holding the phone with two points of contact between the owner’s hand and the antenna band.

One law firm is even preparing for a class-action lawsuit against Apple and is soliciting iPhone 4 customers to contact them about reception issues...."

Feral

• E Cup
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2010, 01:53:22 PM »

It's worth noting that research and development, design, manufacturing facitilies/contracts, marketing and support are all ALSO part of a manufacturer's costs... it's not simply parts.

That is true. Most every car is about $2000 worth of steel, plastic, rubber and glass.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »
I was wondering when this would happen.

Gizmodo: "First iPhone 4 Class Action Suit Filed Against Apple and AT&T"
The first iPhone 4 class action suit against Apple and AT&T has been filed today in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. The lawsuit focus on the antenna design problems, making several claims:

• General Negligence (APPLE and AT&T)
• Defect in Design, Manufacture, and Assembly (APPLE)
• Breach of Express Warranty (APPLE)
• Breach of Implied Warranty for Merchantability (APPLE and AT&T)
• Breach of Implied Warranty of Fitness for a Particular Purpose (APPLE and AT&T)
• Deceptive Trade Practices (APPLE and AT&T)
• Intentional Misrepresentation (APPLE and AT&T)
• Negligent Misrepresentation (APPLE and AT&T)
• Fraud by Concealment (APPLE and AT&T)

Apple has been criticized by iPhone 4 users and media for the reception problems that seem to result from its faulty antenna design. While all cellphones experience a decrease in signal quality when you touch their antenna, the iPhone 4 design puts the antenna all around it, making difficult to avoid under natural handling of the phone. Cases started to appear in MacRumors.com and Gizmodo.com on June 23, one day before the official launch of the iPhone 4, from users who received their units earlier....

Go get 'em.

Feral

• E Cup
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2010, 02:47:08 PM »
I guess I better grab one of the old 3GS before they get away then.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2010, 08:23:06 PM »
Engadget: "Apple deleting mentions of Consumer Reports' iPhone 4 piece on forums, can't delete your thoughts"

This is absurd. JUST FIX THE DAMN ANTENNA PROBLEM and you wouldn't have to engage in this sort of 1984-style censorship.

Feral

• E Cup
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 09:22:02 AM »
Engadget: "Apple deleting mentions of Consumer Reports' iPhone 4 piece on forums, can't delete your thoughts"

This is absurd. JUST FIX THE DAMN ANTENNA PROBLEM and you wouldn't have to engage in this sort of 1984-style censorship.

Ha ha, that would be admitting there is a problem. And they are too pig-headed to do that. Toyota syndrome.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2010, 08:25:42 PM »
...or "Pentium bug" syndrome :)

NetworkWorld: "Microsoft exec mocks iPhone 4, dubs it Apple's Vista"

Yeah, but with one big difference: people like the iPhone :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 08:27:36 PM by TheZookie007 »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2010, 05:14:19 AM »
Well, well, well. Steve-o blinked. Sort of.

"You get a case! And you get a case! And you get a case! Everybody gets a case!"

Pal comments: it's probably worth noting that the free case isn't some sort of bribe to iPhone4 owners to compensate them... the bumper covers the antenna and thus prevents it from being touched and interfering with reception, so it's a physical addition to avoid the problem. From everything I've heard/read (the media loves to jump on Apple) this kind of problem is NOT unique to the iPhone4 by any stretch of the imagination... many/most smartphones have such issues that affect reception/dropped calls. Testing shows that the iPhone4 drops only 1 more call out of 100 calls than did the iPhone3. In any case, Apple sold 3 million iPhone4s in a month despite this media frenzy... it's a good product (apparently, I don't own any iPhone or smartphone since I don't need one) albeit not a perfect one... but there's no such thing of course. ;)

« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:55:32 PM by Palomine »

AgentDee

• Boob, James Boob
  • I LOVE GIANT TITS!
    • AgentDee's Youtube Page
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2010, 11:20:12 AM »
I just got my first 'smart phone' today the HTC Hero for Sprint, so far I am loving this phone, WAY better than any other phone i have had in the past it rocks!
Want a custom avatar?

"Well gosh, breast men are the best men, you know, *giggles* I love you all."
"You know your boobs are too big when a guy stands up to let u thru to your seat and despite him leaning back I boobed him back in his seat."
Chelsea Charms

Special Agent: Dee
MiB; Division 6, NYC

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2010, 05:05:01 AM »
Mashable: "Google Discontinues the Nexus One Android Phone"

"You maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!"

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2010, 05:07:32 AM »
"Taiwanese TV takes on Antenna-gate", in their inimitable style :)