Nimrod

• KC Strip Artist
Re: Pulse Returns
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2014, 08:26:46 AM »
I'm not sure I'd want to introduce a character who might seem unhappy in that way.  That might be part of why I decreased Annie, I had trouble portraying her as an effective superheroine the first time.  I decided to change her enough to make her seem more effective.

Also, I can't guess if Annie will get bigger on her own by accident or intentionally.  She has a little room to grow if I ever wanted.  And some readers have said they thought she's gotten bigger as the comic has continued (or at least early on when it was still black and white), so if that's true, it can happen by accident as well.  (although it's likely just style and proportional changes, or maybe even that I was accidentally drawing her too small at first).

There's also the motivation to make Annie seem somewhat unique in her change.  And also if I introduced someone larger it would make her seem more common.  She's more special if I didn't.

I like that you have much more of a "backstory" or reasons why your characters do things or act or look the way they do. I also like that you have more variety in your universe without all the women and men looking as if they are models.

What I was getting at with a possible character the same or slightly larger than Annie was not to show how such frontage could be a hindrance or that the other person was somehow unhappy but rather to accomplish two story enriching aspects.
1) To demonstrate how well Annie is dealing with the whole size changing issues by providing a point of reference.
2) To give a better "reason" why Annie would employ methods of size management other than not liking being too big.

As is stands I feel this telling of the story has Annie not nearly as "happy" with her physical changes. The first time out not only was her growth more evident it actually was shown as an event, with others reacting or even specific panels depicting it. I can think of two instances with her suite "resizing". She also seemed to integrate this peculiar idiosyncratic super-power a little better.

The new telling does feel more realistic in how all the characters are acting, even Annie - however I feel she really is not responding to her obvious physical changes. Now given the lab environment and the range of other characters this version explains this non-reaction better but it does seem as she has no or little reaction at all. 

I did like how there have been "references" to her physique changes via other characters, the bra steeling teleporter, the mild envy of her paraplegic friend, and the inferences gained from the shapeshifter. My suggestion of a busty equivalent that was not grounded in fixation, jealousy or usurpation but rather a brief encounter that reaffirms that Annie can and will be capable and effective regardless of her physical changes.

I see it now, Annie goes to the underground mall (yes there is one, just roll with it) and goes to Kithara's Closet of Intimate Apparel and Bra Emporium(TM) where while getting a new fitting she happens to talk with a particular lavender bunny. Through flash back or other recollection Annie recounts some random bust related incident only to have the proprietor explain that how this is actually reaffirming and ultimately strengthening. Annie thanks the bunny for the insight curious as to how she knows this only to have the rabbit-gal step from behind the counter to reveal an equal decolletage. They share a silent knowing smile and Annie leaves swinging her new purchases in the store's telltale lavender bag feeling just a bit better about everything - the end.  ;D

KCIABE now there is an acronym.
BE Together...

Images are (c) Nimrod unless noted otherwise

Lightfoot

• Wandering Artist
    • Pulse
Re: Pulse Returns
« Reply #196 on: September 12, 2014, 04:30:05 PM »
I like that you have much more of a "backstory" or reasons why your characters do things or act or look the way they do. I also like that you have more variety in your universe without all the women and men looking as if they are models.

I think being able to look back on your mistakes allows you to make a new story that has fewer flaws.  Both a story of any kind, and also a story that you've told before.  Also a lot of the old comics had the problem where I originally planned them to be very short, and then tried to add on to them.

I've had people complain the exact opposite before, that they are all too good looking.  I've been trying to make them look more unique.

What I was getting at with a possible character the same or slightly larger than Annie was not to show how such frontage could be a hindrance or that the other person was somehow unhappy but rather to accomplish two story enriching aspects.
1) To demonstrate how well Annie is dealing with the whole size changing issues by providing a point of reference.
2) To give a better "reason" why Annie would employ methods of size management other than not liking being too big.

It's also possible that part of me wants as few characters her size or bigger.  The more there are, the less unique she becomes.  In the current universe there are only two--  Annie and Juno.  If anyone else, it might be Sharon Winsor from the older comic.

I've had suggestions before to add a giant-busted character who had powers that were not meant for combat.

As is stands I feel this telling of the story has Annie not nearly as "happy" with her physical changes. The first time out not only was her growth more evident it actually was shown as an event, with others reacting or even specific panels depicting it. I can think of two instances with her suite "resizing". She also seemed to integrate this peculiar idiosyncratic super-power a little better.

The new telling does feel more realistic in how all the characters are acting, even Annie - however I feel she really is not responding to her obvious physical changes. Now given the lab environment and the range of other characters this version explains this non-reaction better but it does seem as she has no or little reaction at all.

I did like how there have been "references" to her physique changes via other characters, the bra steeling teleporter, the mild envy of her paraplegic friend, and the inferences gained from the shapeshifter. My suggestion of a busty equivalent that was not grounded in fixation, jealousy or usurpation but rather a brief encounter that reaffirms that Annie can and will be capable and effective regardless of her physical changes.

Looking back, I felt like Annie was too positive in her changes, although in the original it was something she seemed to view as a flaw.  I wanted to alter the story a little so that it didn't seem like her becoming more curvy solved all of her problems.  That she and Thomas were already together, and that she wasn't quite as spinning out of control and ignoring it.

I agree she's not reacting that much, but I felt like she's also not reacting that much to the several times she's almost died.  I felt like she's trying to ignore all of that and push forward to the goal she wants, and then it's going to all come rushing out at some point?  Although maybe that's the wrong plan.  I didn't want for it to too take over the story earlier.  Also I wanted her to be positive about it eventually, but not right away.  I wanted her to start out with a mixed reaction and then over time learn to appreciate the change.

Some of the other things people have critiqued recently are that I could be more consistent on my proportions, that in long fights the backgrounds could less similar, that the some of the side characters could use more characterization (like Annie's father and Connor), that there isn't enough variety in the men, that there isn't always a big emotional connection to events happening, and that Tabitha's body type is too similar to Annie.

I see it now, Annie goes to the underground mall (yes there is one, just roll with it) and goes to Kithara's Closet of Intimate Apparel and Bra Emporium(TM) where while getting a new fitting she happens to talk with a particular lavender bunny. Through flash back or other recollection Annie recounts some random bust related incident only to have the proprietor explain that how this is actually reaffirming and ultimately strengthening. Annie thanks the bunny for the insight curious as to how she knows this only to have the rabbit-gal step from behind the counter to reveal an equal decolletage. They share a silent knowing smile and Annie leaves swinging her new purchases in the store's telltale lavender bag feeling just a bit better about everything - the end.  ;D

KCIABE now there is an acronym.

I wonder if some might get their clothes from inside the complex.  I mean where would Thunderpunch shop instead?  Although I'm not sure Annie is big enough that she couldn't buy bras from a regular place.

Lightfoot

• Wandering Artist
    • Pulse
Re: Pulse #204
« Reply #203 on: November 06, 2014, 02:27:45 AM »
Update today, page 204 "Free Will"
http://pulse.comicdish.com/

One more page for this chapter, then on to chapter 15 "Motivation".

Lightfoot

• Wandering Artist
    • Pulse
Re: Pulse #206
« Reply #205 on: November 20, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »
Update today, page 206 "Teams"
http://pulse.comicdish.com/

Kind of a break from the Tabitha storyline, a story about their rivals- Mira, Arim, and Evileye.