KBTs

• B Cup
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #1515 on: December 28, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »
^...working at the "Curl up and Dye" salon if memory serves.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1516 on: December 28, 2016, 08:24:07 PM »
Debbie Reynolds, mother of Carrie Fisher, died at 84 years of age at Cedar-Sinai hospital one day after her daughter died. :(

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1517 on: December 28, 2016, 08:46:59 PM »
Singing the title song from the 1957 movie, "Tammy and the Bachelor"

The song earned her a gold record and was the best-selling single by a female vocalist in 1957. The song spent 23 weeks on the "Top 40" charts. It was number one for five weeks on the Billboard pop charts.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

Cutter

• X Cup
« Reply #1518 on: December 31, 2016, 06:54:26 AM »
2016 RIP.  Thank the GODS this year is done, time to shoot it in the head and hope 2017 is better.

Although I understand that the Ghost of Christmas Future has depression as it can't see anything past 2017
Cutter

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

My DVD   http://mightyo.site.aplus.net/ussclamagoretourdvd.com/

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1519 on: December 31, 2016, 10:26:50 PM »
As seen in "The Running Man" (1987)
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #1520 on: January 02, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »
Farewell William Christopher, the gentle Father Mulcahy on M*A*S*H.

CarlTL

• ZZZ Cup
  • King of the Avatars
« Reply #1521 on: January 02, 2017, 10:14:05 AM »
Farewell William Christopher, the gentle Father Mulcahy on M*A*S*H.

...just great

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1522 on: January 06, 2017, 09:30:48 PM »
A final word(s) on Carrie Fisher:

Leia Organa: A Critical Obituary

"Leia Organa, the politician and revolutionary who led the defeat of the Galactic Empire, died after a short illness. She was 60 years old. Hers was a life laced with controversy concerning everything from her tactics to her very ancestry, but her intelligence, commitment to the Republican cause, and place at the heart of the Rebellion, and later the Resistance against Neo-Imperialism, remains the indisputable core of her legacy."

Caption to the photo below:
"Before the Battle of Endor, where she would train local insurgents and send Luke Skywalker on an additional unsanctioned mission. Although Organa wears Captain’s insignia here, she was often given temporary commissions, and refused formal promotions to remain in the field. Nevertheless, she became General of the Resistance during the New Republic period."
rtpoe

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #1523 on: January 07, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »
...And a final word from Carrie Fisher:
Her ashes being interred in a giant Prozac capsule.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 08:06:16 AM by gonZo »

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1524 on: January 07, 2017, 08:03:54 AM »
...And a final word from Carrie Fisher...

Her ashes being interred in a giant Prozac capsule:

LOL !  ;D

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1525 on: January 14, 2017, 09:54:23 PM »
Not a person but a venerable American institution has died, in May anyways. The AP just announced that The Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus has announced that after 146 years of operation it will be permanently shutdown. Since they got rid of the elephants, their attendance dropped precipitously even though there was a slow bleed beforehand due to changing tastes. 500 people will lose their livelihood and future generations will never know what they are missing. Thanks P.E.T.A and the other animal rights groups for killing it.  >:( We deal with those whack jobs every year here in Vegas during the NFR ( National Finals Rodeo ) but fortunately the cowboys are made of much sterner stuff and have successfully told the animal rights people to go to hell.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1526 on: January 14, 2017, 10:33:06 PM »
WILLIAM PETER BLATTY (1928-2017):

Blatty was born in New York City to parents who had immigrated from Lebanon. After a stint in the Air Force, he entered the Foreign Service, serving as editor of News Review, a United States Information Agency publication, in Beirut. He graduated from Georgetown, then received a master’s in English literature from George Washington U. in 1954.

While dabbling in writing, Blatty worked in PR, serving as public relations director at Loyola U. of Los Angeles and then at USC. To gather material for a humorous article to be published in the Saturday Evening Post, he went about meeting movie stars while masquerading as a Saudi Arabian prince, then appeared as a contestant on Groucho Marx quizshow You Bet Your Life, winning $10,000 — money that allowed him to quit his day job and write full time.

His first novel, Which Way to Mecca, Jack?, a humorous look at his time with the USIA, was published in 1960. Further comic novels followed, to critical success. He got to work with Blake Edwards on the screenplay for A Shot in the Dark, the sequel to The Pink Panther. Other comedy screenplays continued throughout the 60s.

But by the end of the decade, he was in a state of "financial desperation" and finally got around to a novel he had been thinking about for years. He had remembered a Washington Post report from the late 1940s: A 14-year-old boy from Maryland was reportedly possessed, his condition defined by a visiting Duke University official as "the most impressive example of poltergeist phenomena I have ever come across."

The Exorcist hit #1 on the NY Times best seller list, and stayed on the charts for 57 weeks. He and director William Friedkin adapted it for the screen.

From around the world came reports of fainting, puking, epileptic fits, audience members charging the screen and waving rosary beads, and, in England, a boy committing murder and blaming The Exorcist. The Rev. Billy Graham would allege that the film's very celluloid was evil.

"I was standing in the back of a theater in New York at the first public press screening of the film, too nervous to sit down," Blatty told IGN.com in 2000. "And along came a woman who got up in about the fifth or sixth row. A young woman, who started walking up the aisle, slowly at first. She had her hand to her head. And then I could see her lips moving. She got close enough, and I could hear her murmuring, 'Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.'"

The movie got 10 Oscar nominations, including the first ever Best Picture nomination for a horror film. It's only win was for Best Adapted Screenplay. It continues to top lists of Greatest Horror Movies.

Other novels and films followed, but he couldn't approach the success of The Exorcist. He didn't need to....

Blatty, Linda Blair, and William Friedkin in 2010:
rtpoe

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #1527 on: January 15, 2017, 06:09:46 PM »
Agreed with Solvegas, above.

Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey
An art form born in ancient Rome, raised in Renaissance Europe and grown to adulthood in the United States.

Yes, there are "modern" circuses, which are white bread compared to whole wheat. No institutional memory, no first-hand tradition.

Like vaudeville, silent film and radio drama, an entire multi-arts medium is now dead.

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #1528 on: January 16, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »
Patton Oswalt with the dissenting opinion...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhmmc9wBSDA

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1529 on: January 17, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
EUGENE CERNAN (1934 - 2017):

He traced his only **09**'s initials in the dust of the lunar surface. Then he climbed into the lunar module for the ride home, becoming the last person to walk on the moon.

It was a moment that defined the Apollo 17 commander in both the public eye and his own.

"Those steps up that ladder, they were tough to make," Cernan recalled in a 2007 oral history. "I didn't want to go up. I wanted to stay a while."

What does it say for us as a nation when there are no more people left alive who have walked on the Moon?
rtpoe