Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #1470 on: July 01, 2016, 08:32:01 AM »
She was the best. Period.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1471 on: July 03, 2016, 02:30:29 PM »
Elie Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor and author who fought for peace, human rights and simple human decency, has died at the age of 87, a spokesman for Israel's Holocaust memorial, Yad Vashem, said [July 2, 2016].

His family said he died peacefully Saturday after a long illness.

"My husband was a fighter. He fought for the memory of the 6 million Jews who perished in the Holocaust, and he fought for Israel. He waged countless battles for innocent victims regardless of ethnicity or creed," his widow, Marion, said in a statement released by the writer's foundation.

Wiesel, who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986, recounted his family being sent to the Nazi concentration camps in his first book, Night, which was published in France in 1958...

In 1986 the Nobel committee called Wiesel an important spiritual leader.

In his speech honoring Wiesel, then-chairman Egil Aarvik said: "From the abyss of the death camps he has come as a messenger to mankind, not with a message of hate and revenge, but with one of brotherhood and atonement."

Wiesel spoke of his own guilt in his moving Nobel acceptance speech.

"Do I have the right to represent the multitudes who have perished? Do I have the right to accept this great honor on their behalf? I do not. No one may speak for the dead, no one may interpret their mutilated dreams and visions," he said.

He said he sensed the presence of the tens of thousands of people who died at Buchenwald, and accepted the prize on their behalf and on behalf of his fellow survivors.

Millions of people were touched by Night and dozens of other works Wiesel produced. His books were deeply personal. He was honest with his readers about what he went through physically, emotionally, spiritually.

He wrote, "Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, which has turned my life into one long night, seven times cursed and seven times sealed. Never shall I forget that smoke. Never shall I forget the little faces of the children, whose bodies I saw turned into wreaths of smoke beneath a silent blue sky. Never shall I forget those flames which consumed my faith forever. Never shall I forget that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live. Never shall I forget those moments which murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to dust. Never shall I forget these things, even if I am condemned to live as long as God himself. Never."

Throughout his life, the writer and teacher sought to give a voice to the voiceless.

He was a professor at the City College of New York from 1972 until he left four years later to become a humanities professor at Boston University. Before that, Wiesel was a journalist in Paris and then New York...In 1978, President Jimmy Carter appointed Wiesel chairman of the Presidential Commission on the Holocaust. Wiesel's efforts at the commission led to the establishment of the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington, where his words greet visitors at the **103**. "For the dead and the living, we must bear witness."
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:43:32 PM by TheZookie007 »

salem

« Reply #1472 on: July 04, 2016, 05:20:40 AM »
Comedy writer and actress Caroline Aherne has died at the age of 52.

Aherne, star and writer of The Royle Family and The Mrs Merton Show, had suffered from cancer, her publicist said.

The actress said two years ago that she had been diagnosed with lung cancer, having previously had bladder and eye cancer.

Aherne was also the narrator of Gogglebox and appeared in The Fast Show.

Her publicist Neil Reading said on Saturday: "Caroline Aherne has sadly passed away, after a brave battle with cancer.

"The Bafta award-winning writer and comedy actor died earlier today at her home in Timperley, Greater Manchester. She was 52.

"The family ask for privacy at this very sad time."

Aherne had spoken of her diagnosis with cancer while addressing an appeal to approve cancer care in Manchester in 2014, saying: "I've had cancer and my brother's had cancer and we know how it affects people."

She said she and her brother had been born with cancer of the retina, adding: "My mum told us that only special people get cancer. I must be very special because I've had it in my lungs and my bladder as well."

Aherne's co-stars and fellow comics have been paying tribute to her.

Sue Johnston, who played Barbara - the mother of Aherne's character Denise - in The Royle Family, said: "I am devastated at her passing and I am numb with grief."

Ralf Little, Denise's brother Antony in the show, said Aherne was "a sister, real and (for me) fake", as well as a genius and a friend with a "big, big heart".

The Fast Show co-star Arabella Weir told the BBC Aherne was "an absolute genius" and that "everything she said was funny".

She said: "She was one of those people who was - without being attention seeking - always, always funny, even when you weren't filming.

"Everything she said was just killingly funny. She was just a great and she was a gentle, kind, easygoing person. She was great to work with. She never made a fuss. She was just a real laugh to be around."

Broadcaster Terry Christian, who had also worked alongside Aherne, said: "What it was with Caroline was she was genuinely one of the funniest people just in the pub.

"A lot of comedians aren't. You know they go away, write it all down and you know in real life there's nothing.

"Whereas with Caroline, she was so naturally sharp and witty and that's why everything she did had that risk factor in. You know if you look at the Mrs Merton Show, none of it was set up. Not a single question with the audience was set up."

Venton

• E Cup
« Reply #1473 on: July 04, 2016, 10:23:32 AM »
A couple more recent losses in the world of music:

Scotty Moore
December 27, 1931 - Died: June 28, 2016
Original guitarist for Elvis Presley.

Bernie Worrell
April 19, 1944 - June 24, 2016
Keyboardist for Parliament-Funkadelic.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1474 on: July 04, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
Comedy writer and actress Caroline Aherne has died at the age of 52.

...Broadcaster Terry Christian, who had also worked alongside Aherne, said: "What it was with Caroline was she was genuinely one of the funniest people just in the pub.

"A lot of comedians aren't. You know they go away, write it all down and you know in real life there's nothing.

"Whereas with Caroline, she was so naturally sharp and witty and that's why everything she did had that risk factor in. You know if you look at the Mrs Merton Show, none of it was set up. Not a single question with the audience was set up."

A classic quote from The Mrs Merton Show happened when she "interviewed" Debbie McGee, the much-younger wife of magician Paul Daniels, when it was pretty obvious why she'd agreed to marry him:

"So, what first attracted you to the millionaire Paul Daniels?"

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1475 on: July 04, 2016, 06:12:34 PM »
A-7713

Elie Wiesel's inmate tattoo number at Auschwitz.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #1476 on: July 27, 2016, 01:16:47 PM »
Jack Davis, longtime MAD magazine cartoonist, has died. He was one of the magazine's founding artists. Even if you didn't know his name, you knew his work, from movie posters, TV guide, and countless other illustrations.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1477 on: July 27, 2016, 07:19:59 PM »
You know his style.....
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1478 on: July 27, 2016, 11:46:30 PM »
Jack Davis, longtime MAD magazine cartoonist, has died. He was one of the magazine's founding artists. Even if you didn't know his name, you knew his work, from movie posters, TV guide, and countless other illustrations.

Damn :(

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1479 on: July 27, 2016, 11:53:45 PM »
The Hollywood Reporter: "Marni Nixon, Famed 'Ghost Singer' in Classic Musicals, Dies at 86"

Marni Nixon, the soprano who stepped in to sing for Deborah Kerr in The King and I, for Natalie Wood in West Side Story and for Audrey Hepburn in My Fair Lady, has died. She was 86.

Nixon, a "ghost singer" who did not receive onscreen credit for her work on these legendary musicals, died Sunday of breast cancer in Manhattan, her friend told The New York Times.

It was Nixon who sang the wonderful standards "Getting to Know You" from The King and I (1956), "I Feel Pretty" from West Side Story (1961) and "I Could Have Danced All Night" and "The Rain in Spain" from My Fair Lady (1964). The last two films won Academy Awards for best picture.

Kerr received an Oscar nomination for portraying Anna in The King and I. For her work on the film, Nixon received $420, she once recalled.

"You always had to sign a contract that nothing would be revealed," Nixon told ABC's Nightline in 2007. "Twentieth Century Fox … said, 'If anybody ever knows that you did any part of the dubbing for Deborah Kerr, we'll see to it that you don't work in town again.'"

"Ghost singing" was a common practice in Hollywood back in the day, with other stars like Rita Hayworth, Cyd Charisse, Ann Blyth and Christopher Plummer being dubbed.

Nixon also sang for Kerr in An Affair to Remember (1957), for Jeanne Crain in Cheaper by the Dozen (1950), for Ida Lupino in Jennifer (1953) and for Janet Leigh in Pepe (1960). Her lovely voice also is heard in Cinderella (1950), Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953) and Mulan (1998), where she sang as Grandma Fa.

Nixon actually appeared as herself in The Sound of Music (1965), playing a nun who sings "Maria." And on Seinfeld and The King of Queens, she performed "I Could Have Danced All Night" and "Getting to Know You," respectively.

In 2012, she was honored with a Peabody Award for outstanding contributions to American music...

During production of My Fair Lady, Hepburn picked her up in her limousine every morning and took her to the studio, she told People magazine last year.

"I sat in on her singing lessons, so I could hear not only the Cockney and the upper-class British, which are two different voices," she recalled. "But I also had to get her very unique speech patterns, so I had to listen very carefully so I could catch it."

Nixon appeared on Broadway in The Girl in Pink Tights in 1954, in James Joyce's The Dead in 2000, in Follies in 2001 and in Nine in 2003.

She hosted the kids TV show Boomerang for many years, and in 2006, her memoir, I Could Have Sung All Night, was published.

Her first husband was film composer Ernest Gold, who won an Oscar for Exodus (1960). A son from that marriage, Andrew Gold, wrote "Thank You for Being a Friend," the song that served as the theme for NBC's The Golden Girls. He died at age 59 in 2011.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:47:28 PM by TheZookie007 »

MaxBigfoot

• ZZZ Cup
  • Maximum Manga Maven
« Reply #1481 on: August 13, 2016, 04:08:57 PM »
:( :( :( :( :( :(

"Kenny Baker, The Actor Who Played R2-D2 In Star Wars Films, Dies At 81"

Every headline mentions he played R2-D2, but for me, the role I remember him for is Fidgit in Time Bandits.  I love that movie.

MaxBigfoot

To change Forum settings so that you see 50 topics per page:
Go to Forum Profile
Hover cursor over "Modify Profile" button in top left
Select "Look and Layout"
Scroll to "Topics to display per page", select 50 in dropdown menu
Click on "Change Profile" at bottom right of page.

You can also change "Messages to display per page" to 50 in the same way.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1482 on: August 19, 2016, 08:31:33 PM »
MTV: "Jack Riley, the voice of Stu Pickles on Rugrats, is dead at 80"

Jack Riley, a veteran character actor most known for his memorable role on The Bob Newhart Show and as the voice of Stu Pickles on Nickelodeon’s long-running Rugrats, has died, the Associated Press confirmed. He was 80.

Deadline reports that the actor succumbed to pneumonia and infection in Los Angeles on Friday. He is survived by his wife, Ginger Lawrence, and their two children.

Riley’s breakthrough role was Elliot Carlin, a popular returning character on The Bob Newhart Show. The neurotic and narcissistic Mr. Carlin appeared in a total of 49 episodes throughout the popular sitcom’s primetime run. Among Riley’s vast collection of TV credits are appearances on St. Elsewhere (as Mr. Carlin), Hogan’s Heroes, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, One Day at a Time, Diff’rent Strokes, Night Court, and Seinfeld. He also worked as a writer for comedians Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, but later admitted that he never wanted a life behind the scenes. “I was always happier being out there doing it,” he said in Comical Co-Stars of Television: From Ed Norton to Kramer. “I hate being on the sidelines.”

KBTs

• B Cup
« Reply #1483 on: August 24, 2016, 06:16:43 AM »
Noel Neill died July 3.  I remember her as the original Lois Lane in the 2 movie serials, and most of the first series.  Here she is with Kirk Alyn, the movie serial Superman.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1484 on: August 24, 2016, 07:41:06 PM »
Jean Baptiste "Toots" Thielemans (1922 - 2016):

If anyone could be said to have truly mastered the harmonica, it would be Theilemans.

Born in Brussels, he began playing the accordion at age 3 and picked up the harmonica in his teens.

He discovered jazz after the German occupation began in 1940. But after sitting in with local combos, his friends advised him to get "a real instrument." He taught himself to play guitar, mostly by listening to records of the legendary Belgian-born Gypsy jazz guitarist, Django Reinhardt. When he took out his harmonica again after about two years, Thielemans said it was like discovering "an old friend."

In 1945, as he was making a name for himself as a guitarist in local jazz clubs and dance halls, friends decided that his given name wasn't hip enough. So he became "Toots." In Europe, he performed with greats like Edith Piaf and Stephane Grappelli, and toured with Benny Goodman. 1951 saw him arrive in New York, where he soon found himself playing with Charlie Parker's All Stars.

Over the years, he'd work with artists from Billy Joel to Ella Fitzgerald to Gilberto Gil.

Perhaps his best known - or at least most heard - work is the theme to "Sesame Street".....

Here he is whistling and playing the guitar in his classic "Bluesette"

rtpoe