Goldeneye

• The Midas Look
  • The Midas Look
Re: The R.I.P. Thread
« Reply #1650 on: November 18, 2017, 04:42:51 PM »
Damn. She was a real boss. And she managed to do it all with grace.

Ladies and gentlemen, we're setting up the lights and dusting off the red carpet for the grand **103** of a Mr. David Cassidy, please stay tuned...

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1651 on: November 18, 2017, 05:50:07 PM »
And as being discussed on her thread, I sadly have to announce the passing of one of the greatest Playboy Bunnies and Playmates of all time: Miss November 1975, Janet Paula Lupo.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

Cutter

• X Cup
« Reply #1652 on: November 20, 2017, 01:32:40 AM »
This one should fall under good riddance.

Charles Manson has finally died.

About damn time.
Cutter

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics SUCK!

My DVD   http://mightyo.site.aplus.net/ussclamagoretourdvd.com/

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1653 on: November 20, 2017, 02:16:19 AM »

About damn time.

Agreed. May he rot in Hell.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1654 on: November 20, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »

About damn time.

Well, I guess this will be a slightly better Thanksgiving than expected. It was 48 years ago when his " family " killed Sharon Tate.  :'(

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1655 on: November 20, 2017, 09:10:59 PM »
Well, I'm not going to speak ill of the dead.....so here's someone who's life made the world a better place:

MEL TILLIS (1932-2017)

As a boy in Tampa, Florida, Lonnie Melvin Tillis suffered a bout of malaria that left him with a stutter. He learned to play the guitar, and found that he didn't stutter when singing. After high school, he joined the Air Force and was stationed in Okinawa during the Korean War, where he and his band would perform on Armed Forces Radio.

After returning to the US, he kicked around for a while at odd jobs, and making the occasional trip to Nashville to pitch the songs he was writing. He moved there in 1957, and his song "I'm Tired" was taken to #3 on the charts by Webb Pierce. During the 1960s, Tillis became one of Nashville's go-to writers. Songs like "Ruby (Don't Take Your Love to Town)," "Mental Revenge" and "Detroit City," among others, became country classics, and have been recorded by dozens of artists in the past half-century. Brenda Lee took "Emotions," written by Tillis and Ramsey Kearney, to No. 7 on the pop charts in 1961.

He also recorded his own material, and had his biggest success in the 1970s, with two dozen Top 10 hits. Five of those were chart-toppers, including "Coca Cola Cowboy," which was featured in the Clint Eastwood film "Every Which Way But Loose." The Country Music Association named Tillis Entertainer of the Year in 1976. That year he also was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame.

He kept writing and recording, with over 1000 songs and 60 albums to his credit. Honors piled up: The Grand Ole Opry. The Country Music Hall of Fame. The National Medal of Arts (2012).

"Mel Tillis was a guy who had it all: He could write, he could sing and he could entertain an audience," Grand Ole Opry announcer Eddie Stubbs told the Tennessean. "There’s a big difference between a concert and a show. Mel Tillis always put on a show ... You always felt good about being around him."

"Had he never stepped on a stage, he would still have been one of the funniest and most genuine people on the planet. But his whimsy and warmth were only a part of his appeal. He wrote some of country music's most compelling and consequential songs, he fronted a remarkable band, and he sang with power and emotion." - Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum CEO Kyle Young

"It so happened that I found what I was good for," Tillis, discussing his music career, told The Tennessean in 1965. "I'm lucky. A lot of people go through life and never find out."

"Coca-Cola Cowboy"

"Good Woman Blues"

"Detroit City"
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1656 on: November 21, 2017, 12:40:21 AM »
If that beaver-toothed bastard Ajit Pai has his way, net neutrality will be murdered by Thanksgiving.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1657 on: November 21, 2017, 08:27:51 PM »
More bad news:

Della Reese, a performer and pastor best known for her starring role on the CBS spiritual drama Touched by an Angel, has died at 86.

"Her signature television role came late in life," NPR's Eric Deggans reported. "Reese already had been famous for decades as a gospel-influenced R&B performer, TV guest star and talk show fixture."

Her husband Franklin Lett released a statement through her Touched by an Angel costar Roma Downey, saying that Reese "has passed away peacefully at her California home surrounded by love." Downey added, "I know heaven has a brand new angel this day."

Reese, who was born Delloreese Patricia Early in Detroit, started singing in church when she was six. She told NPR in 2003 that she was recruited by gospel legend Mahalia Jackson to tour with her at the age of 12.

"My mother took Mahalia aside and looked into her eyes and said, `I've got a good chi!d here. I wouldn't let her go off with everybody, but I trust you. I know you're a woman of God and I'm expecting you to bring me back a better chi!d than I'm sending away with you,'" Reese told The Tavis Smiley Show.

From there, her songs climbed pop charts, such as "Don't You Know," which is adapted from an aria from the opera La Boheme. As Eric reports:

"Her dignified image led to mainstream stardom. She was on The Ed Sullivan Show 18 times in one year. She also became the first black woman to host her own syndicated variety series and the first black woman to guest host Johnny Carson's Tonight Show. It was on the set of that show in 1979 that she suffered a brain aneurysm; a near-death experience that inspired her to become an ordained minister."

Her own show, Della, was on air for one season in 1969-70 with nearly 200 episodes, The New York Times reported, with guests including "George Burns, Ike and Tina Turner, Little Richard, Steve Allen, Tony Bennett, Ethel Waters and Gypsy Rose Lee."

In Touched by an Angel, Reese plays Tess, a sarcastic angel boss who is a maternal figure to Downey's apprentice guardian angel...The show was a hit, and ran for nine years "telling stories of God's impact in everyday life,"...Reese also sang the show's theme song, "Walk with You."

As an ordained minister, Reese founded a church called the Understanding Principles for Better Living Church out of her living room. The church's website recounts that from an original eight members, the church soon outgrew her living room. As the Times reported, "she delivered Sunday services there for many years."

She is also remembered from her appearances in films such as 1996's A Thin Line Between Love and Hate opposite Martin Lawrence, and the classic Harlem Nights (1989), which co-starred comedy giants Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1658 on: November 21, 2017, 09:43:35 PM »
This just in:

David Cassidy, lead singer on The Partridge Family, has died, according to his publicist Jo-Ann Geffen. He was 67.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #1659 on: November 21, 2017, 09:48:15 PM »
Another performer just passed away, David Cassidy, age 67 of organ failure in Florida. He became a huge star in the early 70's as the older brother in the ABC TV show " The Partridge Family " ( which I remember well ) alongside his stepmother Shirley jones as the matriarch of the family. Geez, they've been dropping like flies lately.  :(

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1660 on: November 22, 2017, 01:59:45 AM »
...and I hear that Aretha Franklin is not in the best of health either.

So many of the greats are going, and yet mediocres are still thriving. Life is unfair.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #1661 on: November 25, 2017, 10:38:11 PM »
This just in:

David Cassidy, lead singer on The Partridge Family, has died, according to his publicist Jo-Ann Geffen. He was 67.

A few years ago, I came across a replica of the Partridge Family bus—once used to promote the show, now abandoned in the Catskill Mountains. I’d stopped at a roadside antique store near Ashland, New York, thinking that it might be a good place to buy old records (this affliction—it is merciless). I recall the building itself being pleasantly dilapidated; in my memory, it slumped one way and then the next, depending on where I stood. Parked out back, for reasons that were deeply unclear then, and remain unclear now, was the Partridge Family bus. (The rear panel of it still read “Careful—Nervous Mother Driving.”) The bus was in disrepair, and had been crammed full of junk; its psychedelic exterior, which owes a debt to Piet Mondrian’s “Composition 1921,” was badly faded.

Yet I gasped. I only ever saw “The Partridge Family” in syndication—it was the kind of show I would watch several rerun episodes of in the early afternoons, when I was home sick from school, eating noodle soup under an afghan—but I nonetheless felt like I was being confronted with some essential American artifact. In the late nineteen-sixties, when the country was being subsumed by fear and uncertainty—unsettled by deep change and grief—Cassidy provided an anchor. His easiness and amiability were a refuge. His quarterback smile was steadying. That service is almost unspeakably profound. We’ll forever owe him that debt.

"Remembering When America Found Refuge in David Cassidy’s Tousled Hair" by Amanda Petrusich
The New Yorker, November 22, 2017
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1662 on: November 26, 2017, 06:36:31 PM »
Very well said. If you want to be transported to a simpler time, you could do worse than to catch reruns of The  Partridge Family.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1663 on: November 30, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
Jim Nabors, the actor best known for playing the character Gomer Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show in the 1960s, died at his home Thursday morning in Hawaii. He was 87.

Nabors' husband Stan Cadwallader told CBS News that Nabors' health began to decline rapidly after Thanksgiving. He underwent a series of tests on Wednesday, but the decision was made to bring him home from the hospital.

The coroner has not yet released Nabors' cause of death, but Cadwallader said it appears to be from natural causes.

Nabors married Cadwallader in January 2013. The couple met in 1975 when Cadwallader was a Honolulu firefighter.

Nabors played Gomer Pyle in The Andy Griffith Show and Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. in the spinoff comedy series.

He also made appearances on The Love Boat, Knight Rider and The Carol Burnett Show. 

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #1664 on: December 06, 2017, 02:32:16 AM »
People.com: "Johnny Hallyday, the Elvis of France, Dead at Age 74"

French rock idol Johnny Hallyday, remembered as the nation’s answer to Elvis Presley in the 1960s, has died at age 74.

The legendary singer died from lung cancer, his family confirmed.

“Johnny Hallyday has left us,” Hallyday’s wife, Laeticia, said in a statement to The Guardian. “I write these words without believing them. But yet, it’s true. My man is no longer with us. He left us tonight as he lived his whole life, with courage and dignity.”

Beginning in 1960, Hallyday was the heartbeat of Gallic rock n’ roll, becoming its best known and best-selling artist for nearly six decades. A devotee of “Le Dream Americain,” he became a global music star with an equally prolific cinema career including films for directors such as Jean Luc Godard, Claude Lelouch, Henri-Georges Clouzot and Costa-Gravas.

His death ignited international tributes, including one from French-Canadian singer Céline Dion who tweeted, “I’m very sad to hear the news that Johnny Hallyday passed away. He was a giant in show business…a true icon! My thoughts go out to his family, his loved ones, and to the millions of fans who adored him for many decades.He will be sadly missed, but never forgotten.- Céline xx…”

Born Jean-Phillipe Smet in Paris in June 1943 to a couture model mother and a Belgian singer who abandoned him as an infant, Hallyday was principally raised in Paris and London by two aunts—classically trained as dancers. When one married an American dancer, the boy took his uncle’s stage name. Eventually working in the Hallydays’ touring act, he debuted onstage in Copenhagen in 1956 singing “The Ballad of Davy Crockett.”...

Initially, an adept copyist combining elements of Presley, Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran on stage, Hallyday’s persona encompassed raw rocker, blues shouter and French crooner; his musical catalogue embraced rock, soul, R&B, British pop, heavy metal, country, psychedelia and blues.

In time, he influenced everyone from Jimi Hendrix to Dion.

After a string of successful singles, EPs and pioneering Scopitones (primitive music videos played jukeboxes), his first album was recorded in Nashville in 1962. Four years later, after seeing him in 1966 in a London club, Hallyday hired the unknown Jimi Hendrix Experience as his opening act on a four-date French tour.

Similarly, a year later, working with English musician Mick Jones (later of Foreigner), Hallyday hired future Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page to play on the soundtrack for A Tout Casser.