Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
I have an ATI video card in my computer and install the driver manually from AMD's website since Linux Mint doesn't have a pre-made package. I updated some system files that mint was showing in the system updater and when i rebooted, my computer promptly took a shit all over itself. :(

Luckily I back up all of my files regularlary. :)

I had to reinstall the system and noticed that AMD released a new driver a few day ago.  It's working fine.  I don't know what the problem with the old one was.  I guess I'll have to check for updates occasinally.

That is odd... historically Linux distros have had much better ATI support than nVidia support, which is why most of the various PCs I've installed Linux onto in the past few years have had ATI graphics hardware by choice/design/selection. However, with one (possible) exception, I've never yet encountered an ATI or nVidia-based system that Linux (mostly Ubuntu and Mint) wouldn't run on.

Of course, there can be small differences between distros/drivers/combos: my current machine (old/low-end AMD Gallium 0.4 on AMD RV610 grapics) worked 100% fine with Mint, yet with Ubuntu (which is very closely related) on-screen windows sparkle with noise (artifacts) when they're being resized in the GUI. Every single driver release can contain some bug, or break something that worked fine in an earlier release (just like programs/apps). I suspect you just stumbled across some weird incompatibility with your particular combination of hardware/OS/drivers at that particular moment. :)

SwitcherX

• Legend
I've been having a DNS leak that's been driving me insane for the last week.  Every time I went to google maps it would show where my house was.  Other places that would show your location would show the city i live in.  I cleared cookies, went thru a proxy(on top of a VPN) and other stuff.  Nothing made it stop.  I thought google was the NSA.  Then when I was setting up my nic to allow jumbo packets I finally figured it out.  My fucking internet provider will use IPv6 for DNS along with regular IP.  Sneaky bastards.  I disab;ed IPv6 totally in the OS and now google doesn't know where I am.

add these lines to sysctl.conf to disable ipv6 in  Linux Mint:

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

then reboot
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

Palomine

I've been having a DNS leak that's been driving me insane for the last week.  Every time I went to google maps it would show where my house was.  Other places that would show your location would show the city i live in.  I cleared cookies, went thru a proxy(on top of a VPN) and other stuff.  Nothing made it stop.  I thought google was the NSA.  Then when I was setting up my nic to allow jumbo packets I finally figured it out.  My fucking internet provider will use IPv6 for DNS along with regular IP.  Sneaky bastards.  I disab;ed IPv6 totally in the OS and now google doesn't know where I am.

add these lines to sysctl.conf to disable ipv6 in  Linux Mint:

net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.lo.disable_ipv6 = 1

then reboot

I can only presume that you're actually Edward Sn0wden switch... as no other explanation seems to suffice re: the intricacies you delve into in a (presumable) attempt to improve your privacy. ;)

On a far more pedestrian note, I just wanted to share with other Linux users (and those who might use it in the future) a neat little program I've known about for a while but only recently got around to trying: it's called Phatch and it's a simple tool for batch processing images.

YES, I know you can create macros for big graphics apps like GIMP and Photoshop, and yes, there are countless such tools for Windows and Mac OSX, but not an endless variety for Linux (but as in most cases except for games, there IS a sufficient supply of Linux apps for most tasks and tastes :)).

Phatch lets you apply image processing operations to a group of images at one time. It's not ultra-intuitive to begin with, but easy enough once you run it a couple times. This is handy if you need to downrez images for posting to an auction site, or add a watermark or copyright notice, make crops, rotate images, or rename files in bulk, etc...

You can DL/install it from the software repository of your favorite Linux distro (i.e.: the Ubuntu Software Center, etc..) or from the app website itself: http://photobatch.stani.be/ ...DL page here: http://photobatch.stani.be/download/index.html It also is available for Windows and Mac OSX btw. Dox are here: http://photobatch.wikidot.com/ For those too lazy to click links but still curious to know what kinds of image processing operations Phatch provides, here's the full/current list excluding third-party operations:

Auto Contrast - Maximize image contrast
Background - Put colour under transparent image
Border - Variable border to the inside or outside
Brightness - Adjust brightness from black to white
Canvas - Crop the image or enlarge canvas without resizing the image
Color To Alpha - Make a background with fixed color transparent
Colorize - Colorize grayscale image
Common - Copies the most common pixel value
Contour - Draw a contour around image edges
Contrast - Adjust from grey to black & white
Convert Mode - Convert the color mode of an image (grayscale, RGB, RGBA or CMYK)
Copy - Copy image file
Crop - Crop the image
Delete Tags - Delete Exif or Iptc Tags
Desaturate - Fade all colors to grey
Effect - Blur, Sharpen, Emboss, Smooth, …
Equalize - Equalize the image histogram
Fit - Downsize and crop image with fixed ratio
Geek - Execute external command
Geotag - Geotag an image file
Grayscale - Fade all colours to gray
Highlight - Add a highlight effect
Imagemagick - Blur, Polaroid, Shadow, Unsharp…
Invert - Invert the colors of the image (negative)
Lossless JPEG - Rotate, flip, grayscale and crop
Maximum - Copies the maximum pixel value
Mask - Apply a transparency mask
Median - Copies the median pixel value
Minimum - Copies the minimum pixel value
Mirror - Symmetrical tile texture
Offset - Offset by distance and wrap around
Perspective - Shear 2d or 3d
Posterize - Reduce the number of bits of colour channel
Rank - Copies the rank'th pixel value
Reflect - Drops a reflection
Rename - Rename image file
Rename Tag - Rename an Exif or Iptc Tag
Rotate - Rotate with random angle
Round - Round or crossed corners with variable radius and corners
Saturation - Adjust saturation from grayscale to high
Save - Save an image with variable compression in different types
Save Tags - Save only metadata (lossless)
Scale - Scale an image with different resample filters.
Shadow - Drop a blurred shadow under a photo with variable position, blur and color
Sketch - Transform to a grayscale pencil drawing.
Solarize - Invert all pixel values above threshold
Tamogen - Tone altering mosaic generator
Text - Write text at a given position
Time Shift - Shift Exif time
Transpose - Flip or rotate an image by 90 degrees
Watermark - Apply a watermark image with variable placement (offset, scaling, tiling) and opacity
Write Tag - Write a new value to a metadata tag (exif & iptc)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 08:50:58 PM by Palomine »

Palomine

I meant to get one ages ago, but never found the time... yesterday I finally got a Raspberry Pi (a never-used Model B with an AC adapter for $20... you can buy a Model B+ new by itself now online/at Fry's for $40). I still need a case and SD card for it, so it'll be a little while before I get to play with it, but it's something to look forward to. For those who are unfamiliar with Raspberry Pi (and similar devices) it's a (very) small, low-power Linux-based computer. Believe it or not, on a circuit board about the size of a credit card, there's a fully-functioning PC with USB, Ethernet, HDMI and memory card ports. You won't be playing effects-intensive first-person-shooter games with it, but you can do a lot of other stuff just fine.

I don't have any particular project in mind for it, though there are zillions sensors/devices/projects for Pi and Arduino-based systems, along with an active online community and tons of information.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
Yeah, I've always wanted a Raspberry Pi. I have an idea to create some very very low power Internet kiosks for use in developing countries with it. Maybe one day I'll actually get around to implementing my idea :)

5V at about 700mA I think (that's for the model B, the B+ is a little stingier) so all kinds of things are possible. :) -Pal
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:30:50 PM by Palomine »
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
First Google hit:

Binary Emotions: "Instant WebKiosk/UB (free full-screen browser-only OS)"

"Instant WebKiosk/UB, alias Unrestricted Browsing flavour, is a free operating system designed for web kiosks and multi-user web workstations (cafès, offices, schools, hotels, hospitals, libraries) on standard (even diskless) PC hardware.

It is a "live" (no installation required because it boots from USB keys), browser-only (only the browser interface will show up) distribution of Linux Debian.

Instant WebKiosk/UB is a fully customizable operating system for Internet browsing purposes, which protects privacy: users can modify its settings runtime but after a reset the operating system defaults to original values and users' informations are completely destroyed. Closing browser window also resets system - in a less secure but quicker manner. It is hacker proof and completely immune to viruses and malware.

Only persistent settings are always preserved: network, localization, video, sound and printer configurations persist across reboots. Browser state (custom settings, extension, bookmarks, history and so on) can also be optionally saved by the admin.

Instant WebKiosk/UB makes use of Google Chromium as Internet browser and it features Adobe Flash support, PDF, images and video viewing, office files and compressed files support; it features full "i18n" (internationalization) including CJ input methods.

It supports printing (plug&print for most common USB printers - network printers need to be manually set) and both wired (with DHCP or static IP) and wireless networks in order to access the Internet. System parameters are set by an user-friendly web interface."

Yup, pretty much everything I want :)
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

SwitcherX

• Legend
I can only presume that you're actually Edward Sn0wden switch... as no other explanation seems to suffice re: the intricacies you delve into in a (presumable) attempt to improve your privacy. ;)

Really I disabled ipv6 because i'm trying to figure out how to configure everything on Linux but he problem is that everything is turned out by default.  It's easier if you start with a system that has nothing enabled to start and you have to turn stuff on yourself.  And don't forget to turn off ipv6 in Network Managed or whatever your desktop environment used.

And I like my privacy.  Why make it easy for people?  :)

Pal replies: I'm a fan of privacy too. But I'm confuzzled... you say "configure everything on Linux" with respect to various network/internet settings, some of which you feel can improve or degrade your privacy, right? I'm no tech guru (at least not in that genre) so I'm foggy about all that... I have NEVER had to "configure Linux" in order to get a Linux PC online: I've installed at least a half-dozen different Linux distros/versions onto perhaps a dozen different PCs and laptops, and once the OS install/update was finished and I plugged the ethernet cable into my router (or selected my wireless network from a laptop) that was it: the machine was online. No different than a Mac really: just install it, connect to your local area network at home and it just works.

Now, I don't doubt at all that there are things that can be changed which could possible impact privacy/trackability/etc.. and perhaps even performance. After all, the router itself has pages and pages of editable settings, and yes, under Ubuntu's System Settings/Network/Options there are 5 tabs worth of settings, including one tab each for 802.1x Security, IPv4 and IPv6. I don't mind admitting that I never touch that stuff because I'm not really clear on what any of it does: IPv4 and IPv6 are both set to "Automatic" (from their pull-down menus of choices) and 802.1x Security actually has the "Use 802.1x security for this connection" box UNchecked (worryingly? I dunno).

I'm not asking you to explain it all to me Switch, but if you think there's something in there that can/should be changed from the system defaults, and you don't mind telling me/us about it, I'm all ears. :)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 11:33:51 AM by Palomine »
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

-- Notty

Palomine

I haven't had a chance to install/putter with the Raspberry Pi I recently bought via Craigslist (I met the guy in a Taco Bell parking lot for our $20. transaction ;)) but it's getting closer to the top of my to-do list. Today, I'm beginning the task of relocating a portion of the file-sharing tasks from my main PC to what's probably the oldest/smallest/lowest-spec working laptop I've got atm: a little silver Dell with a Pentium 4 CPU and 40GB drive circa 2006. It's running a 32-bit non-PAE (physical address extension) version of CrunchBang (aka "#!") Linux. I'm doing this because it seems silly to leave my main PC (which isn't huge, but still...) running all day when a much more modest PC could do the job just as well (since it's mostly dependent upon the speed of the net connection, not the PC itself). This fits with my usual approach of using the right tool for the job instead of one big powerful tool for every job: two or three small/old/free-or-almost-free PCs set up to do just one task each and only-as-needed instead of the i7 overkill of a giant loud tower PC left on all day and night to do everything in one box. Continuing with that "right-size tool for a specific/limited task" note...

My interest in and affection for odd little computers continues to flourish. These tiny PCs, generally run Linux, though some run Android and some are also capable of running Windows can be used as general-purpose PCs and are well-suited to most tasks other than very CPU/graphics-intensive things like gaming, etc... I recently saw that that fit-PC (http://www.fit-pc.com/web/) now has a Mintbox Mini, which is a better/faster/cheaper-by-half version of the original Mintbox: a small fanless PC pre-installed with Linux Mint that happened to look like Darth Vader's router. The new Mintbox Mini isn't as stylish as the original Mintbox, but it's hard to argue with half-the-price and better specs. Link for the Mintbox Mini here: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/mintbox-mini/ The Mintbox Mini comes with a five-year warrantly btw.

For those willing to pay for the lovely, ribbed, cast aluminum case and even higher specs (a 3rd-gen i5 CPU) fit-PC also offers an updated Mintbox 2: http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/mintbox/

Both of the Mint-branded mini-PCs from fit-PC have 5% of their price donated to funding of the Linux Mint project, so in addition to getting an interesting little fanless PC, buyers are also supporting the development of Linux Mint (my favorite Linux distro). :)

FYI, fit-PC mostly offers their small computers without Linux Mint pre-installed... they've got a range of small PCs ranging from the pocket-sized fitlet (to compete with Intel's NUCs) to the Intense PC2 aka IPC2 which features that nice black cast aluminum case and can be equipped with an i7 CPU.

Mintbox Mini and Mintbox 2 from fit-PC  
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 02:05:07 PM by Palomine »

SwitcherX

• Legend

Pal replies: I'm a fan of privacy too. But I'm confuzzled... you say "configure everything on Linux" with respect to various network/internet settings, some of which you feel can improve or degrade your privacy, right? I'm no tech guru (at least not in that genre) so I'm foggy about all that... I have NEVER had to "configure Linux" in order to get a Linux PC online: I've installed at least a half-dozen different Linux distros/versions onto perhaps a dozen different PCs and laptops, and once the OS install/update was finished and I plugged the ethernet cable into my router (or selected my wireless network from a laptop) that was it: the machine was online. No different than a Mac really: just install it, connect to your local area network at home and it just works.

When I say "configure everything" I mean "configure everything the way I want them to be".

Linux's default configurations are so that they work for just about everyone.  But by doing that they have a lot of stuff running that people might not need or want, open up security holes, etc.

What I like to do is start at the beginning.  First the system boots up, then the kernel starts, then the startup scripts configure the system, then the windows environment starts.

So, first I want to configure the Grub bootloader.  Next I want to make a kernel that has drivers for my particular system and not a driver for everything under the sun.  Then go thru the startup scripts and see  what order everything starts.  Then config the first one, then the second one, etc.  When that's done, the base system should be the way I want it.  All of the hardware should be setup and all of the services (firewall, VPN, DNS, email, etc) should be running the way I want.  Then setup the command line utilities the way I like them or install the ones I like if they aren't there (zsh for instance).  Then the joy of getting the desktop environment the way you want it begins.

Think of it this way.  If I install OpenBSD and set it up the way I want, I can tell you everything about that system.  I know every single thing it does.  Nothing will happen without me knowing about it.

I had a Mac for 7 years before I switched to Linux a couple of months ago.  I still don't know what a third(at least) of the processes did.

I'm not asking you to explain it all to me Switch, but if you think there's something in there that can/should be changed from the system defaults, and you don't mind telling me/us about it, I'm all ears. :)

I strongly recommend that you setup a system from the steps laid out at Linux From Scratch.  A lot of things will become clearer and you'll have a much better picture of how you want your system to be.
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

SwitcherX

• Legend
I haven't had a chance to install/putter with the Raspberry Pi I recently bought via Craigslist (I met the guy in a Taco Bell parking lot for our $20. transaction ;)) but it's getting closer to the top of my to-do list.

Did it come in a baggie? ;)

I thought about getting a Shuttle DS437, but the fitlet-i looks better.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:20:39 AM by SwitcherX »
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

Palomine

Did it come in a baggie? ;)

LOL! :D No, but given the kinds of transactions that usually take place in the parking lots of fast-food places, that's a reasonable assumption on your part. :)

I thought about getting a Shuttle DS437, but the fitlet-i looks better.

Oooh, that Shuttle DS437 looks nice: I'm a sucker for lots of ports in a small package. :) No sexual innuendo intended. ;)

I'm perusing the link you kindly provided for "Linux From Scratch" and I certainly can understand the appeal of being able to build (compile) an operating system to your exact specifications that contains only the parts you need/want and none of those you don't. It's an option for Linux users that doesn't exist with anything like that degree of specificity/detail for folks who run Windows or MacOSX of course.

I think "off the shelf" Linux(es) are probably more useful to me atm, given the frequency with which I wind up installing some distro or other on some old PC (either for myself or someone else) or adding/removing hardware from a PC on which Linux is already running. It's just so quick and easy to stick an installer CD or USB key for Mint, Ubuntu, CrunchBang, Tails, etc... into a machine and install it and start using it right away: it's fast, free, stable, and includes pretty much 95% of the apps that most people need. I'm not particularly troubled about "carrying around" chunks of code that might not be needed for a particular PC... after all, I've been doing that in one way or the other since Day One (my first PC in '78) without any noticeable ill effect. Your mention that compiling your own Linux can improve security is appealing of course (by avoiding unnecessary parts of the OS that could contain security holes) ...I suppose that might motivate me to make my own custom Linux *if* I'd ever suffered any Linux security-related issues to date, which I haven't (in my admittedly few-year ride with it thus far). Of course, a wise man would take steps to learn from the experiences of others, rather than wait until he gets into an "if only I had..." situation himself.

I'm lazy, I admit it freely. ;) Thanks for the info and I for one would appreciate you sharing your future observations/experiences with Linux and less-common hardware regardless of whether or not any of it's applicable to my own stuff. I'm interested... so if/when you feel like talking about it please do so. Thanks again! :)

PS: just because it includes the Linux penguin and is on-topic for our forum, I'm attaching the otherwise-unrelated image that I ran across at Reddit (though it originated elsewhere, as everything on Reddit does :P). It was described as a graphic that illustrates the memory usage of various operating systems using the relative bosom sizes of anime characters. Of course, the older/smaller OSes (from Windows CE through ME) were represented by characters that may have been fictional min0rs, so I've quickly erased them w/GIMP. But you get the idea. ;) No idea what it says under the curiously bearded/Shogunized penguin.

88731637in1 EDITED.jpg
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 11:37:01 PM by Palomine »

Palomine

The biggest unused SD card I had in the house was only 2GB (which shows how long it's been since I've bought one) so my plan to move much of the routine filesharing tasks to that old netbook by expanding its storage with an SD card stumbled. Yes, in this day and age of instant gratification, it's possible to have a huge SD card delivered to your door with just a few mouse-clicks, but cards big enough for the tasks I had in mind (512GB at least) aren't exactly cheap.

SO, having an old/unused external USB/IDE hard drive enclosure kicking around, I proceeded to spend yesterday morning inventorying all the old/salvaged PCs lined up on a shelf in my garage, hoping to find a spare drive big enough for my purposes. A few hours later (with post-it notes now affixed to the front of each machine listing their specs) I found that the biggest available drive was only 250GB, and that one was SATA while the enclosure was ATA/IDE. The biggest available IDE drive was only 120GB. :(

However, I did have a recently-acquired deceased laptop that had taken a fatal bath. Of sorts. Without going into details, suffice it to say that its original owner had accidentally dropped it into a five-gallon bucket of water and that it had, for a brief time, been completely submerged. The owner wound up replacing the machine with a new one, and was kind enough to let me have the old one. And luckily for me, mere weeks before taking the plunge, the internal hard disk had been upgraded to a 1TB (2.5" SATA) drive. Because hard drives are sealed, it seems to have survived immersion w/o any ill effects (of course I put the whole laptop into a sealed plastic bag filled with uncooked rice for a week when I got it, which may have helped). That 1TB drive, connected to my ancient netbook via a $15. USB-to-IDE/SATA adapter runs great: it's whisper quiet and barely even gets warm.

The attached photo shows the 2006 netbook running #! Linux with its bare external drive just purring away on my kitchen table, using only 10% of its very modest CPU (and just a mere handful of watts) to do the bulk of my routine filesharing tasks. :) At some point, I'll get a little USB enclosure for the drive and put the whole thing on a bookshelf. :)

Edit April '15: I may have mentioned this elsewhere, but I still use that modest Pentium M notebook running non-PAE Crunchbang as my primary file-sharing machine (the only computer in my house that I never turn off). It still uses that salvaged 2.5" 1TB drive, though I've since put the drive into a little enclosure I got online for like $13. It installed w/o tools and there's only the single USB cable (over which the drive is powered) so it's a fast/neat/easy install. :) I'm quite happy with it: an old laptop I got free (but buyable for $20), a free/salvaged hard drive, and a $13 enclosure = cheap, useful fun! :D

9yroldnetbook running #! w bare ext HD B40
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:00:35 AM by Palomine »

SwitcherX

• Legend
Do 512GB SD cards exist?  The biggest I've seen is 256GB.

Pal replies: like I said, pricey: SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-I/U3 SDXC 512GB Memory Card (SDSDXPA-512G-G46) at Amazon $597.44.

PS on an unrelated topic: I know I bitched about it a couple years ago when I first tried it, but now, in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, I have to grudgingly admit that I've gotten used to their much-maligned Unity GUI. I'm not saying that I won't try to go back to Mint with the Cinnamon GUI the next time I have to do a full wipe/install on my primary PC, but after using Unity since my last wipe/install, it's really not so bad... It mostly feels like OSX, but with a more varied palette and a few Windowsish bits.

I gotta be honest: I have one working Mac (an old Core2 MacBook Pro) running OSX 10.6 that's now used mostly just for playing music to my stereo and capping video from my DVR; my work laptop runs Windows 7 (32-bit, due to proprietary software requirements); my little 24/7 filesharing laptop runs the non-PAE version of 32-bit Crunchbang Linux and my primary PC is running Ubuntu 14 with Unity. Would it be nicer if all those machines could run the exact same OS and GUI? Sure, in a perfect world. Is it necessary, given how relatively easy most any OS/PC is to operate these days (compared to say 20 years ago)? No, of course not.

Though I like Linux best the past couple years, and will always think fondly of my two and a half decades with Mac, I consider myself to be platform agnostic. :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 10:52:45 AM by Palomine »
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

SwitcherX

• Legend
Does any else have problems with updating X windows on Linux?  Mint told me that there was a minor X windows update ready.  After i installed it, my computer promptly took a shit all over itself again.  Being burned before I did a full backup right before i updated so reinstalling was semi-painless.   :(
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

-- Mammeister

-- Notty

Palomine

Does any else have problems with updating X windows on Linux?  Mint told me that there was a minor X windows update ready.  After i installed it, my computer promptly took a shit all over itself again.  Being burned before I did a full backup right before i updated so reinstalling was semi-painless.   :(

I've noticed nothing of the sort (yet) on either my Ubuntu box or #! netbook, both of which are up-to-date and Debian-based (like your Mint) and presumably rely on similar bits for basic functionality such as X windows. However (as I've said before) I'm no expert... perhaps since you compiled your own system kernel, it relies on updates that differ from those scheduled for vanilla builds? I.e.: a customized install could ask for/use the same X windows update code as a vanilla machine, but the vanilla update might also include some support or dependent or patch code to work properly and maybe that other bit was missed in your recent update?

Just a theory...

I hope to put (standard) Mint 17 with Cinnamon on a laptop in the next few days (as soon as I get the Windows 7 on it backed up) and if I notice anything funny with that re: X windows, I'll let you know.