Robin_K2

• A Cup
Re: Funny Politics
« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »

Rick Perry was in the Corps of cadets of Texas A & M university and in the U.S. Air Force. If you think that those who serve their country honorably are Nazis then you are not very smart.  >:( I'll take someone at 18 who is mature and willing to do something positive for his country over the smoking slacker any ol' day.

Please specify how a Texas A&M cadet corps "do something positive" for their country? I'd as soon honor the Phi Eta Sigma honor society.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
The Corps is a military officer training program, with all the inculcation of leadership skills, honor, duty, responsibility, and maturity which that entails.

Nearly half of the Corps graduates receive commissions in the Armed Forces, and thereby do something positive for their country.

This is not to imply that the members of the Phi Eta Sigma honor society do not also do something positive for their country.

rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »
Texas A&M has by far the largest ROTC program in the nation. The uniform with the brown cavalry boots means he is a Senior in the Corps of cadets.  The uniform he is wearing is what Officers in the US Cavalry wore in the 1930's. The Cadets at West Point wear a uniform based of the Army of the 1820's.  Texas A&M supplies more Officers to the Armed Forces than all other intitutions with the exception of the combined service academies. Now, the snide and stupid remark about what is so positive about the Corps of cadets and equating it with a greek letter society is amazing for the shallowness of intelligence exhibited. Those who sacrifice nothing have a nothing life.

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #123 on: August 18, 2011, 09:13:02 AM »
Ummm ... so ... well ...

I lost 22 pounds in the last four weeks.  Does that count?

People seem to think my working with developmentally disabled clients counts as sacrifice, but I don't know, I think they tend to say that because their concept of the work scares them.  It is true though that one client had violent tendencies and that any one of us could essentially have been murdered with impunity: "Oops, staff just happened to get in the way at the wrong time, oh well, that's the breaks, that's the job."  So does that count?

See, I happen to think myself that Bio overdid it with the uniform=Nazi snarkiness -- my parents met as Air Force officers, without the Air Force I wouldn't even exist.  But now we're saying "Those who sacrifice nothing have a nothing life" and suddenly I'm thinking Dayum, this is a really TOUGH boob appreciation site if this is some requirement around here of which I had been hitherto unaware.  So I just thought I would check in here and make sure I still qualify.

Hopefully that will be cleared up.  Regardless of whether or not I qualify, I do hope we can have a FUNNY Politics thread once more.

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #124 on: August 18, 2011, 11:36:14 AM »
How the British do it.
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #125 on: August 18, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Ummm ... so ... well ...

I lost 22 pounds in the last four weeks.  Does that count?

People seem to think my working with developmentally disabled clients counts as sacrifice, but I don't know, I think they tend to say that because their concept of the work scares them.  It is true though that one client had violent tendencies and that any one of us could essentially have been murdered with impunity: "Oops, staff just happened to get in the way at the wrong time, oh well, that's the breaks, that's the job."  So does that count?

See, I happen to think myself that Bio overdid it with the uniform=Nazi snarkiness -- my parents met as Air Force officers, without the Air Force I wouldn't even exist.  But now we're saying "Those who sacrifice nothing have a nothing life" and suddenly I'm thinking Dayum, this is a really TOUGH boob appreciation site if this is some requirement around here of which I had been hitherto unaware.  So I just thought I would check in here and make sure I still qualify.

Hopefully that will be cleared up.  Regardless of whether or not I qualify, I do hope we can have a FUNNY Politics thread once more.

Personally, I think participating in a reflective big-boob web site counts as national service, Druul. And I find yet another thing we have in common. When I was drafted as a c.o. I was assigned to work in the halfway house for a state "mental disability" hospital. Usually the occasional disarming of some threatening inmate was just part of the shift. Some time ago I read of an incident where a cop shot a guy waving a knife. The article mentioned, in the cop's defense, that the guy might have been crazy. Crap, I thought, my folks were certified to be crazy, and when we disarmed them, we just made a note in the log and locked the weapon in the office desk.

I think solvegas has, in his own way, put his finger on America's greatest foreign policy failing. We are damnned good at blowing things up, and piss-poor at cleaning up the results. The last time we did it right was WW II with the Marshall Plan. In the mid-1980s the U.S. was all over Afghanistan and Pakistan; then in the late 1980s we just disappeared. We had no "second act", what Dennis Kucinich calls a "Department of Peace" to get on the ground and organize a political and economic system in keeping with the local culture. Most of the bad feelings we have with Pakistan now comes from that time. Literally in a matter of days our operational people pulled out, said, "The check's in the mail", and skeedaddled, leaving a handful of NGOs that had very shallow resources.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:39:08 PM by pedonbio »
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #126 on: August 18, 2011, 02:30:28 PM »
Mmm, and that's even sort of how we began with Charlie Wilson's War and wound up with Osama.

And by the way: thanks, gOOb. ;)

Robin_K2

• A Cup
« Reply #127 on: August 18, 2011, 07:14:01 PM »
Texas A&M has by far the largest ROTC program in the nation. The uniform with the brown cavalry boots means he is a Senior in the Corps of cadets.  The uniform he is wearing is what Officers in the US Cavalry wore in the 1930's. The Cadets at West Point wear a uniform based of the Army of the 1820's.  Texas A&M supplies more Officers to the Armed Forces than all other intitutions with the exception of the combined service academies. Now, the snide and stupid remark about what is so positive about the Corps of cadets and equating it with a greek letter society is amazing for the shallowness of intelligence exhibited. Those who sacrifice nothing have a nothing life.

Thanks. Since I served in Iraq, your comment is SO welcome. God save me from lieutenants j.g. graduated out of ROTC programs.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #128 on: August 18, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
I am reminded of the time when, Robert Wilson, the first director of Fermilab, testified before Congress on the usefulness of high energy particle accelerators.

Senator John O. Pastore (D-RI): "Is there anything connected with the hopes of this accelerator
that in any way involves the security of the country?"

Robert Wilson: "No sir, I don’t believe so."

Pastore: "Nothing at all?"

Wilson: "Nothing at all."

Pastore: "It has no value in that respect?"

Wilson: "It has only to do with the respect with which we regard one another,
the dignity of men, our love of culture. It has to do with are we good
painters, good sculptures, great poets? I mean all the things we really venerate
in our country and are patriotic about. It has nothing to do directly
with defending our country except to make it worth defending."

Hopefully, those of us who do not actively participate (or have done so in the past) in the defense of our country can at least say that we help make it worth defending.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #129 on: August 19, 2011, 12:17:15 PM »
How an American president does it.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #130 on: August 19, 2011, 01:15:35 PM »
There should be a total ban on politicians eating anything! :)
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #131 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
Watch your hand comrade. :o

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2011, 06:44:11 PM »

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #134 on: August 21, 2011, 07:28:27 PM »
The French air kiss.