DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
Re: Funny Politics
« Reply #585 on: March 28, 2013, 03:04:14 PM »
The original Rasputin was also a Hellboy villain.  It all gets mashed together. ;D

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #586 on: March 30, 2013, 11:22:13 AM »
The best political philosophy. ;D
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #587 on: March 31, 2013, 08:10:50 PM »
 :)

SamV

• My bra size? A 34H - H is for 'HUGE, you know!'
  • SaRenna Lee - the "Joan Holloway" prototype!
« Reply #588 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12:45 AM »
The best political philosophy. ;D
"Hail, Hail Freedonia, Land of the Brave and Free...!" ;D
** SaRenna's very own Beta Baby **
The only thing in life you have to earn is love; everything else you can steal.
{ Recently Returned from Internet Limbo! }

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #589 on: April 04, 2013, 12:29:22 PM »
"Little pudgy Korean dude, chill out."

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #590 on: April 06, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
 :)

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #591 on: April 07, 2013, 03:40:42 AM »
That explains everything.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #592 on: April 07, 2013, 04:14:59 PM »
 8)
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #593 on: April 08, 2013, 12:26:44 AM »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #594 on: April 10, 2013, 12:16:48 AM »
Dude seriously needs to be put in time-out.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #595 on: April 10, 2013, 03:36:14 AM »
Meanwhile...

Billboard Magazine: "Judy Garland's 'Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead' Climbs UK Charts Following Margaret Thatcher's Death"

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #596 on: April 10, 2013, 04:08:16 AM »
Meanwhile...

Billboard Magazine: "Judy Garland's 'Ding-Dong! The Witch Is Dead' Climbs UK Charts Following Margaret Thatcher's Death"

I haven't watched any U.S. news about her death, but in Britain and the former colonies there is quite a celebration, including a party in Vancouver that the police are calling a "riot". Next to Reagan, she was probably the most hated electoral mistake, but this makes our celebrations seem pale by comparison.

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #597 on: April 10, 2013, 08:02:35 AM »
Bio, help me out, I was barely a teenager -- wasn't there partying going on when Nixon resigned?

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #598 on: April 10, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »
Bio, help me out, I was barely a teenager -- wasn't there partying going on when Nixon resigned?

My memory goes back to March 31, 1968, when LBJ announced he "...would not seek and will not accept..." another term. It took about ten minutes for that to sink in before the parties started. But that happened at night. I think that's why Nixon scheduled his departure for noon, when anyone who worked for a living was busy. There was a lot of celebration, but it was dampened just a bit, as I recall, because when Johnson left it had seemed there could be no one worse, and we had promptly elected someone much worse.

The other reason celebration was dampened when Nixon left was Gerry Ford, who turned out to have been much better than anyone expected. But at the time no one knew and, given Nixon's evil genius for picking vice presidents, we couldn't be sure that Ford wasn't another Agnew.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #599 on: April 11, 2013, 01:21:03 AM »
IIRC, Nixon didn't choose Gerald Ford as his Vice-President; he was the Minority Leader of the House of Representatives when Spiro Agnew (the VP and therefore Senate president pro tempore) resigned. From the order of succession, he was next in line.

"I am acutely aware that you have not elected me as your president by your ballots, and so I ask you to confirm me as your president with your prayers...

I have not sought this enormous responsibility, but I will not shirk it. Those who nominated and confirmed me as Vice President were my friends and are my friends. They were of both parties, elected by all the people and acting under the Constitution in their name. It is only fitting then that I should pledge to them and to you that I will be the President of all the people...

My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over. Our Constitution works; our great Republic is a government of laws and not of men. Here, the people rule. But there is a higher Power, by whatever name we honor Him, who ordains not only righteousness but love, not only justice, but mercy. ... let us restore the golden rule to our political process, and let brotherly love purge our hearts of suspicion and hate."

A much-underrated human being, was Jerry Ford, though still imperfect: both Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney served as his Chief of Staff.

Now, regarding Lady Thatcher, yeah, she was a nasty piece of work. I'm pretty sure she had more protest songs about her than any other politician since the 60s. As just one example, Elvis Costello's "Tramp The Dirt Down": In it, he expresses his desire to live long enough to see Margaret Thatcher die and vows, "I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down."