Shendude

• A Cup
An Addventure Ettiquette Question
« on: July 04, 2011, 02:54:54 PM »
Some years ago, I started an Addventure thread entitled "Planet of the Doors", which included a thread that resulted in a geometric increase possible daughters that I in my ignorance thought was rather clever, but was apparently opposed to the ettiquette of the BE Addventure.

I bring this up because I want to do something and I'm not sure if it too would opposed to our local ettiquette. This story provides the option of "sluttifying" a film, and I have an idea for doing so. However, I do not entirely feel comfortable with using the sole available slot. Thus, I wish to post several posts that will give additional options prior to utilizing my idea. Is this permissible & polite?

Thank you for your consideration.

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
Re: An Addventure Ettiquette Question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:55:25 PM »
That slot has not been taken in 5 years, I don't think there's any problem with using it.

It's true that a lot of people dislike "list episodes" -- not because they greatly increase the number of children, but because they are boring and add no content to the Addventure themselves.

I'm ambivalent about the issue... I can see where adding a "list episode" in this case would achieve your goal of leaving it open for others to use.

I'd say you should just add a single list episode -- have your desired movie be one of the options, list some other movie options, then put a "Some other movie" option so that others can add their own list episodes if they want to.  That way you wouldn't be going quite as overboard as you did in the Palace of Doors thread.  List episodes don't have to be organized.
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

Shendude

• A Cup
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 11:54:36 AM »
That slot has not been taken in 5 years, I don't think there's any problem with using it.

It's true that a lot of people dislike "list episodes" -- not because they greatly increase the number of children, but because they are boring and add no content to the Addventure themselves.

I'm ambivalent about the issue... I can see where adding a "list episode" in this case would achieve your goal of leaving it open for others to use.

I'd say you should just add a single list episode -- have your desired movie be one of the options, list some other movie options, then put a "Some other movie" option so that others can add their own list episodes if they want to.  That way you wouldn't be going quite as overboard as you did in the Palace of Doors thread.  List episodes don't have to be organized.
Thank you for the advice.

In case anyone is interested, here is the episode I initially wanted to make, and here is the "list episode" I made leading to it.

Shendude

• A Cup
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 01:23:09 PM »
So, I have another Addventure Etiquette question, and rather than starting a new thread about it, I'm using this thread; I hope that's okay.

Anyways, I came up with an idea for an extension of this episode. Unfortunately, it doesn't match any of the available extension options, and there is no "Something Else". Would it be permissible to use one of the extension options that is vaguely similar to what I want to post?

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »
For whatever it's worth, that's what I wind up having to do from time to time.  The original author might be peeved -- but if he was so keen on the option, he could have pursued it himself.  Anyone should understand by now than an option is a pretty wide open invitation.

PS: actually, JH_'s answer below is a better answer -- and may even explain recent activity. ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 03:49:17 PM by DruulEmpire »

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »
So, I have another Addventure Etiquette question, and rather than starting a new thread about it, I'm using this thread; I hope that's okay.

Anyways, I came up with an idea for an extension of this episode. Unfortunately, it doesn't match any of the available extension options, and there is no "Something Else". Would it be permissible to use one of the extension options that is vaguely similar to what I want to post?

I'm a little uneasy about that and wouldn't do it myself. I'd suggest writing off one of the unused options with a "filler" episode that doesn't really do anything. Then give that filler episode two options, one repeating the option that you took and the other leading to the episode that you want to write. That way you don't prevent someone who has an idea for extending the option from writing it.
JH

Shendude

• A Cup
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
I'm a little uneasy about that and wouldn't do it myself. I'd suggest writing off one of the unused options with a "filler" episode that doesn't really do anything. Then give that filler episode two options, one repeating the option that you took and the other leading to the episode that you want to write. That way you don't prevent someone who has an idea for extending the option from writing it.
But isn't that the same thing as a "list episode"?

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2011, 06:01:42 PM »
Yes, they're both similarly bad, but it's better than using an option for something it wasn't intended.  I've seen others do it.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:11:47 AM »
But isn't that the same thing as a "list episode"?

Technically perhaps, but not in spirit. What's annoying about list episodes is that the person who writes one generally offers options but doesn't take any of them up himself (unless it's the "something else" option to write yet another list), so isn't actually doing any creative writing at all. Even the options generally don't show any originality, typically being varieties of animal or something like that. They expect someone else to do the creative work for them. That doesn't apply here.
JH

Shendude

• A Cup
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 01:04:47 PM »
So, I've got another one.

As I sometimes do, I've copied a story I worked on at another Addventure to this one. Now, when that story was originally being written, there was quite a bit of OOC discussion, some of which I think BEA authors may find useful as inspiration.

I had planned to post it as a comment, being and idiot and forgetting that it was WAY too long.

Would Addventure ettiquette be served best by presenting it as a series of comments, or should I use the "Something Else" option to make an OOC posting for it?

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 01:34:56 PM »
So long as it isn't cramping your options -- with six in all, that should be avoidable -- you might just set aside one option as where you plan to add the comments.  (Besides, using the "something else" may feel like a ripoff to anyone who actually wanted to try something radical.)  Just call it "Here you can find useful commentary from the original" or some such, and if you feel you really need it as part of your continuity, make it your ONLY option besides "Something else."  Of course, there's always some slim chance that some jerk will use it before you can, but that's how this is.  I personally wouldn't mind such an episode were it to come up; placing all the burden on the opening episode for all the debriefing and thrashing out of ideas is perhaps not always for the best.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:39:06 PM by DruulEmpire »

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 10:11:42 PM »
BTW, it's good that you credited the original authors in the comments, but I think credits like that would be better in the signature.  But that's just my opinion, not any official guideline...

Bad Kitty

• A Cup
  • To BE or not to BE, that is a silly question.
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 04:18:50 PM »
... and if you feel you really need it as part of your continuity, make it your ONLY option besides "Something else."  Of course, there's always some slim chance that some jerk will use it before you can, but that's how this is. ...

Type out your episode in advance in something like notepad. proofread, edit, etc. Like do all of your episodes that way, then make them, and you only have to paste them in as you go (you may have to redo paragraph breaks & such). that way the window of opportunity for someone else to grab your intended continuation option is quite small.
gnothi seauton / fortes fortuna adiuvat
I'm into both Real Life and Fantasy BE, and Sexual Exaggeration in general (among many other things).
I have somewhat exotic body modding plans for myself for RL ;)
I do the 'Bad Kitty' morphs, here and elsewhere.
(I'm not a huge "morph-request" person, I spend a loooong time on them, and I do them primarily for my own enjoyment. Its hard enough to find time to do all the morphs i want to do)

Zorlond

• G Cup
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 06:21:35 AM »
A side-benefit to using that approach is also the opportunity to toss your episode through a spellchecker... We may be perverts, but we should be grammatical perverts. :D
"Don't you dare call me irrational! You <i>know</i> that makes me <b>CRAZY!!</b>"

Shendude

• A Cup
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »
So, yet another etiquette question.

I recently came up with an idea for a restart. Interestingly, it sorta kinda fits with another thread that has not been updated since 2009 (by me, the only previous update having been in 2003). Would it be permissible to slightly alter my restart to fit that thread and spin it off from there, or should I just go and do a normal restart?