Zorro

• Zorro Cup
  • Morphs are updated each week!
    • Zorro" Zorromorphs @ Shutterfly
Hip Surgery
« on: August 03, 2011, 09:58:19 PM »
For over the past 15 years my left hip has been bothering me. At first it started out as a "twing" of pain now and then.

Over time the symptoms have gradually gotten worse. Last Sunday I was working on my morphs and when I finished I could barely hobble. The pain was agonizing and stiffened up all the muscles in my thigh, groin and lower back. It took me 30 minutes to get to my bedroom which is about 30 feet away. I crawled in to my bed, but I could not roll over on to my back without having the agony and pain starting all over again. By this time it was in spasms.

Fortunately I was able to move about some in a few hours and got up to take some meds to help.

Yesterday (Tuesday) I went to the V.A. Medical Center and was able to seem my doctor. After describing the above scenario to him, he had me get another xray of my hip and pick up some stronger meds, one of which is a muscle relaxer.

This morning there were no spasms and my pain was minimal.

The doctor told me that he would be sending my xrays to the orthopedic surgeon to see if I need a hip replacement.

This is the scary part for me. For a VA doctor to be cutting in to me and replacing my hip makes me very frightened.

The V.A. is like the Cosa Nostra.

You go in alive and come out dead and it's your doctor that did it.

Here's the morph I was working on Sunday night. Maybe the agony was worth it. ;)
WHEN STARTING OR ANSWERING THREADS/POSTS, LINKS ARE SHOWN TO PROVIDE SOURCE INFORMATION INSTEAD OF JUST COPYING/PASTING PERSONAL OPINIONS.

bignatslover

• P Cup
    • I love the BEA
Re: Hip Surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 02:32:52 AM »
Oh man, that sounds immensely helpful.  Probably makes you long to just have a 'normal' day, and reminds me of how we take for granted when our body is functioning fine.

The pain sounds very difficult to deal with.  I am still hoping that maybe something is just shifting/healing and that you won't need any kind of surgery.  What if you **84** in a recliner, or just a totally different angle than how you usually **82**?

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »
Zorro, it is serious surgery, and it may not come to that. But there is something worse then hip surgery: There is aging and having to listen to your friends tell you all about their hip surgery.

If you need it, you have all of our best wishes. It is one of those things that was unknown a couple of generations ago.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 02:15:28 AM by pedonbio »
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
Hip Surgery Update
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 08:06:47 PM »
It's been over a year since I posted about the agony of pain in my hip.

The VA likes to play games still, with going back and forth between my clinic Dr., the Orthopedic Dr. the blood thinner Dr. and the Dentist.

It only took 8 months to get a bad tooth pulled! This happened Friday (August 31st). The hip surgery would not be done until the tooth was gone. Because I am on cumadin (warfarin), they expected me to bleed for a long time and gave me a lot of gauze to stuff in my mouth when I left the VA.

What actually happened was it bled a bit for about 2 hours and by 6 pm I was able to eat dinner and there was little pain.

I am guessing that the hip surgery will be done within the next 3 months.

On a different note I received a phone call from my youngest son about my daughter. She is in serious trouble with the law. I am not going in to specifics, but the crime she committed is a felony.

I am disappointed and saddened by this news, but since she is in GA and I am here in VA without any transportation or money for a trip at this time.

I hope things work out for her and get's the therapy she needs.

WHEN STARTING OR ANSWERING THREADS/POSTS, LINKS ARE SHOWN TO PROVIDE SOURCE INFORMATION INSTEAD OF JUST COPYING/PASTING PERSONAL OPINIONS.

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
Hip Surgery
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 07:18:47 AM »
If you go back to the beginning of this thread you can see how long this thread has been going on.

I finally was able to see the doctor who does the hip surgery and this coming Friday (May 17) I will begin the first part of my hip replacement.

What they are going to do is give me a cortisone shot.
There are a few other chemicals that will be mixed with the cortisone and this will give me temporary relief of the pain I have been going through.

The way it was explained to me is that this shot will fill in the areas where there isn't any cartilage or very little cartilage left.

I won't be a hospital patient and will be able to go home that day.

The actual surgery won't be done until late June to sometime in the fall.

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 09:12:44 AM »
Some weeks ago I had bumped my left ankle with my home shopping cart and even though it hurt at the time, I mostly ignored it.

Last week it was very painful to the touch and I went to my Dr. so he could check it out.

According to him it was badly infected and had an (ulcer).

I was put on a heavy load of antibiotics and it is slowly healing up.

I had to cancel the cortisone shot as it was on the same day as my clinic appointment.

I am a type 2 diabetic as well and I should have paid more attention to that injury.

I have a follow up appointment tomorrow (May 23).

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2013, 07:53:36 PM »
I went to the followup appointment yesterday.

My Dr. was not very satisfied on the progress of my healing and I am getting wound care at home.

The nurse did a real good job bandaging me up and said that my injury is healing at a good rate.

This will happen every day until I get all healed.

Then I can get back to my hip issues.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 02:05:53 AM »
Type 2 diabetes is a real fucker. I had a bruise in my ankle for about four months. Healing is so damn slow!
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2013, 06:29:37 AM »
I actually heal pretty fast considering.

This wound on my ankle was because of my own fault for not checking the scrape and it being untreated before it got so bad.

The area where it is can feel pain, but I thought that it was okay.

Normally diabetics have wounds on the bottom of their feet that they have no feeling or limited feeling in my case.

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 06:58:27 AM »
2 days ago I had to go out to get some groceries and on the way to the bus stop I lost my balance and fell. Luckily I was in a grassy area beside the sidewalk and I was okay.

However when I tried to get my clumsy ass back up I was dizzy and needed help to finally stand.

It wasn't until I got to the supermarket that I realized that my blood sugar meter was at 88. I did eat a bowl of cereal and also had a cup of coffee.

It was about 4 hours after that fall when I made my trip to the store and I figured it was probably caused by low blood sugar.

I got some candy at the store to give myself a sugar jolt.

I have been losing my balance a lot these days, but I have been lucky to be able to grab on to something until this morning when I fell again.

I did not have any dizziness this time, but was able to control my fall so I was able to hit the floor without injury.

Anyway other than feeling embarrassed and a bit sore I am okay.

It's hell getting old.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 07:45:47 AM »
The way I can tell when my blood sugar is getting low is when at first I get irritable without good reason, then I get lethargic and when my fingers start tingling and my hands shaking I'm 99% sure my blood sugar is very low. Last time this happened my blood sugar was 52  :o and people were telling me I looked bad ( or worse than normal. I ain't pretty by a long shot ) but a Snickers bar helped momentarily. A bowl of spageti got it up to 110. It sucks having diabetes.  :'(

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 07:55:26 AM »
My diabetes is not that bad since it is type 2.

I have to watch what I eat and tear myself away from this computer more often. The trouble with is once I see the pictures I want to morph I will spend hours and not realize how much time has gone by.

This one morph alone took me about two hours to complete.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:16:05 AM »
I'm Type 2 also. That day it got so low was due to a very stressful day at work. It began with a suicide early on shift in the morning and about 10 minutes after the meatwagon took away the body with the coroner's blessing, a woman called stating her husband " won't wake up " . So me and others rushed to the room and found a 6'7" white male that weighed 450 pounds laying prone on the bed with no pulse, blue lips and very cold to the touch. I knew he was dead but corporate policy is to start CPR anyways when family is present so it took six of us to move the body to the floor so we could commence. That was stressful  :( Then paramedics arrived a few minutes later and their machine radioed his vitals to the hospital and was pronounced dead by a Doctor. Since I'm the lead report writer I had a lot of paperwork that day and lunch time passed and I then started to feel bad. Moving and doing CPR on that man winded me.  Most of the time its boring at work.

gOOber

• Pic-O-Matic
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 10:00:03 AM »
I forget the source but I remember someone in the hotel business saying the worst thing about his business were dead people. :P
....rejoicing in the fullness thereof....

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 02:19:18 PM »
I'm thinking that's pretty much the worst thing about most businesses. ;D