Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
Comment feature on Addventure
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:49:45 PM »
All right, I promised it three years ago but got distracted by work... but it's finally here.

Starting today, all new episodes have a link at the bottom which allows people to comment on the episode.  

Any episode which has been commented on will give you a link to view the comments at the bottom.  The link will show how many comments there have been, and when the last comment was added.

When you add a comment, it will take up to 15 minutes before it is added to the episode itself.  This is because the background app which adds them is the same app which adds asterisks to taken options, which runs every 15 minutes.

When you write an episode, if you fill in your email address to be notified when other people add to your ep, you will now also be notified when people add comments to it.

"Cross C" is the first person to make a comment -- so congrats to him!  (And congrats to Lumitiel for receiving the first comment.)  Go to this episode to see what an episode with comments looks like.

I'll work on getting the "Add comments" link added to old episodes so people can comment on those too.

I will be monitoring comments as they get added, and deleting any that seem inappropriate.  That does _not_ mean I'm going to delete ones that criticize the episode.  At the moment I just plan to delete spamming, garbage, or really outrageous flame comments.  We'll see how it goes.

If you have any problems, please let me know on the Plume!

[Edit:] Hm, looks like there may be a problem or two with the Members Area version... it should still work though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 01:21:52 PM by Adama »
Adama, Addventure mega-geek

BEginner

• B Cup
Re: Comment feature on Addventure
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 11:18:56 PM »
Dare I say...WOOT!

;D

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 11:22:23 PM »

Warning to Authors -- don't get your hopes up.  Comments may be few and far between, just like episode followups.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 04:07:09 PM »
Thanks. Adama. That's a great facility to have. In future I might even add a comment to some of my own episodes, to say things that I would previously have put in the sig field or in italics at the start of the episode.
JH

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
Not a bad idea.  Lumitiel has already done that on his episode 808737.

Well, it's been 24 hours since the comment feature was added, and so far we've had a total of 6 comments from 3 different people.  All on Lumitiel episodes. ;)  I'm sure it'll get better.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 04:42:26 PM by Adama »

Sirocco

• A Cup
    • Sirocco's Livejournal
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 12:16:09 AM »
Warning to Authors -- don't get your hopes up.  Comments may be few and far between, just like episode followups.

Hehe, the only thing worse than wondering if no one is reading your chapters is knowing that they aren't.

But thank you very much Adama for creating such a useful tool for the addventure. It is greatly appreciated!

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:42:57 AM »
Looks like you ran afoul of the 250-character limit, because your comment was truncated.  Guess I should increase it to 500 at least.

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 04:56:15 AM »
I'd welcome that. Whatever people who use Twitter may think, you can't really say very much in such a limited space.
JH

Sirocco

• A Cup
    • Sirocco's Livejournal
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 10:39:49 AM »
500 would certainly be helpful, but I should probably also just learn some restraint. Shouldn't take more than 250 characters to explain a typo.

CrossC

• A Cup
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »
Hey thanks Adama!   I've been waiting for this for a long time.

While it would be nice if random readers would comment and let us know they are enjoying the story, I think at the very least us authors should make an effort to let each other know we're enjoying the threads.   Plus, it's nice to be able to comment on your collaborating author's efforts and even plan a little using this feature.

I do think 500 words would be a better limit.

Thanks again!

Silenteye

• A Cup
  • I am always watching...
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:04 PM »
Well I can expect some bashing in the future I'll still write regardless...
Big just ain't Big enough... When all else fails shatter everybody's definition of big!

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 07:01:53 PM »
You may have already noticed, but the Recent Episodes page now contains a link at the bottom to a Recent Comments page which shows the last 100 comments added anywhere in the Addventure.  That may make it a little easier to find new comments.

Next step: figure out how and where to put comment indications in the Index.  And maybe on the existing Recents pages too.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:03:44 PM by Adama »

DruulEmpire

• Freakin' Huge!
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
Just got a comment, a positive one.  More of a wish and a recommendation here: as with the episodes themselves, I would find them even more meaningful if they were signed.  Even an ironic Me? Sign This? or some such silliness beats a blank.  Am I drawing the attention of some passing lurker, or someone who's been around?  I think it would enhance the data getting sent.  But I've got to admit, so far, so good.

Jack

• A Cup
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 12:51:03 AM »
You may have already noticed, but the Recent Episodes page now contains a link at the bottom to a Recent Comments page which shows the last 100 comments added anywhere in the Addventure.  That may make it a little easier to find new comments.

Next step: figure out how and where to put comment indications in the Index.  And maybe on the existing Recents pages too.

I love this! But would it be possible to add the episodes' titles in the Recent Comments page as well? I think it would be much more useful than seeing a list of meaningless episode numbers.

Adama

• G Cup
  • Addventure Master
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 02:05:19 AM »
Yes, I realized that when I made it -- but for the first pass, that was going to add complications.  Hm, I think I can add that...

Edit: Okay, title added.  Wanted to show Author too, but looks like that will have to wait for a total rewrite of the code generating the page...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 02:40:40 AM by Adama »