TheZookie007

• L Cup
Re: 2013: The Anniversaries
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2013, 03:25:35 AM »
1961: On May 5th, the whole nation gathered around their television sets to watch live coverage as Navy Commander Alan Bartlett Shepard Jr. was launched into space aboard the Freedom 7 space capsule. The suborbital flight, lasting 15 minutes and reaching a height of 116 miles into the atmosphere, put the first American in space.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »
On May 5th, 1862, near the city of Puebla, Mexico,  the French army was temporarily turned back by mexican forces and the battle won under President Benito Juarez. The french took advantage of the fact that the US was tearing itself apart in the Civil War and, looking for a stronger presence in the americas, ( Martinique ain't much to brag about ) engaged in a little act of imperialism which was normal for the era. Days later, the french regrouped and stormed Puebla and a few weeks later Mexico City itself. Maximilian the first, puppet ruler installed by his brother in law Napoleon the third, governed until 1867 when France decided it needed those troops back home to help in the defence of the homeland after Prussia defeated Austria in 1866 and Germany as we know it was born. Maximilian was executed by mexican forces. Cinco de Mayo is a holiday in Mexico celebrating that battlefield victory, not mexican independence day as so many gringos think. Like Saint Patrick's day, it is a bigger deal in the US than in Mexico, or Ireland respectively, and its real purpose is simply a reason to eat too much and get **92**.

Zorro

• Zorro Cup
  • Morphs are updated each week!
    • Zorro" Zorromorphs @ Shutterfly
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 08:10:17 AM »
On May 5th, 1862, near the city of Puebla, Mexico,  the French army was temporarily turned back by mexican forces and the battle won under President Benito Juarez. The french took advantage of the fact that the US was tearing itself apart in the Civil War and, looking for a stronger presence in the americas, ( Martinique ain't much to brag about ) engaged in a little act of imperialism which was normal for the era. Days later, the french regrouped and stormed Puebla and a few weeks later Mexico City itself. Maximilian the first, puppet ruler installed by his brother in law Napoleon the third, governed until 1867 when France decided it needed those troops back home to help in the defence of the homeland after Prussia defeated Austria in 1866 and Germany as we know it was born. Maximilian was executed by mexican forces. Cinco de Mayo is a holiday in Mexico celebrating that battlefield victory, not mexican independence day as so many gringos think. Like Saint Patrick's day, it is a bigger deal in the US than in Mexico, or Ireland respectively, and its real purpose is simply a reason to eat too much and get **92**.

The Grito de Dolores ("Cry of Dolores") also known as El Grito de la Independencia ("Cry of Independence"), was uttered from the small town of Dolores, near Guanajuato on September 16, 1810. It is the event that marks the beginning of the Mexican War of Independence. The "grito" was the pronunciamiento of the Mexican War of Independence by Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla, a Roman Catholic priest. Since October 1825, the anniversary of the event is celebrated as Mexican Independence Day.
WHEN STARTING OR ANSWERING THREADS/POSTS, LINKS ARE SHOWN TO PROVIDE SOURCE INFORMATION INSTEAD OF JUST COPYING/PASTING PERSONAL OPINIONS.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2013, 08:20:50 PM »
 Today, May 19, is the 233rd anniversary of the "Day of Darkness" during the American Revolution.

After four years of war, on this date a cloudbank moved south across New England. The bank was thick enough to shut out the sun by noon. Birds roosted, cattle returned to barns, and night settled in. Superstitious loons assumed that Judgment Day had arrived. When a member of the Connecticut legislature moved that they adjourn, another member opposed the motion by saying that if it were not Judgment Day, they would look like fools for adjourning; and if it was, what better way to meet one's Maker than doing what one was obliged to do.

The cover was probably the result of a massive forest fire in Canada. By the next day it was gone, and the sun shone.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2013, 01:29:16 AM »
May 19, 1935, T.E. Lawrence AKA Lawrence of Arabia died from injuries from a motorcycle accident.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »
May 22, 1813: Richard Wagner is born. Very soon death became a major cultural theme.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:43:50 PM by pedonbio »

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
May 22, 1813: Richard Wagner is born. Very soon death became a major cultural theme.

Well, you have to admit that " Ride of the Valkeries " is a pretty cool tune.  ;D   ( Hope I spelled Valkeries right  ??? . By the way, first time I heard it was on a Bugs Bunny cartoon, " What's opera, doc ? ". Elmer Fudd singing Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit ! is comedy gold  ;D )
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:04:22 PM by solvegas »

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »

Well, you have to admit that " Ride of the Valkeries " is a pretty cool tune.  ;D   ( Hope I spelled Valkeries right  ??? . By the way, first time I heard it was on a Bugs Bunny cartoon, " What's opera, doc ? ". Elmer Fudd singing Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit ! is comedy gold  ;D )

Oh, I agree. I'm an American; I love Wagner.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2013, 08:55:15 PM »
They started having fun with Wagner almost immediately:

Emmanuel Chabrier - Souvenirs de Munich (1886)

Gabriel Fauré and André Messager - Souvenirs de Bayreuth (1889?)

Clément Douget - Isoldina (1928?)

Stan Kenton & The Los Angeles Neophonic Orchestra - Ride of the Valkyries (ca. 1970)

Peter Schickele - Last Tango in Bayreuth (1974)

And to give credit where it's due, the music in "What's Opera, Doc?" was arranged by Milt Franklyn.
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2013, 04:59:17 AM »
May 22:

The 154th birth anniversary of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The 200th birth anniversary of Richard Wagner

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2013, 01:50:59 AM »
Today in history:

1953: 60 years ago today, the Sherpa Tenzing Norgay and the New Zealander Edmund Hillary were the first two men known to have successfully ascended the mountain known to Tibetans as Chomolungma ("Goddess Mother of the World") and to the rest of the world as Mount Everest. It's an amazing view from the top, or you can settle down in front of your browser and contemplate how it looks every day (between 0630 and 1730, Nepalese time).

« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 02:46:35 AM by TheZookie007 »

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
One hundred years ago (May 29, 1913):

Igor Stravinsky (composer) and Vaslav Nijinski (choreographer) collaborate on a Rite in which Spring will not arrive unless a theater is trashed by a riot at a ballet premiere.....
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
May 30, 1431, Joan of Arc was executed by being burned at the stake.

I do not know whether it was ever true, but once a friend told me that the CIA assigns a value from 0 to 100 to anyone who comes to their attention, the number reflecting the relative danger the person represents. The memorable point was that the number, once assigned, never returns to zero, even after death. He told me that when he died Khruschev's number was lowered to 2, but Ghandi kept his value of 5. If the Brits thought they were getting rid of a problem when they killed Joan, they were very wrong. Her danger value went way up.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 05:22:08 PM by pedonbio »

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
Today in 1942, a heavily outgunned, outnumbered and less experienced US Navy met and defeated the Imperial Japanese Navy in the single most important naval battle of WW2, The Battle of Midway. The US was extremely lucky but luck counts in war. The heroes of the battle are Commander Rochefort, in charge of cryptology in Pearl Harbor, who was able to pinpoint where the main Japanese thrust would come from, Admiral Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Central Pacific, who made the ultimate decision to go with Rochefort even though the Chiefs of Staff in Washington DC strongly disagreed with him and Attack Squadron 6 whose men sacrified themselves and whose actions distracted the Japanese air cover allowing the carrier bomber squadrons to surprise and sink 4 japanese flattops. The US lost the USS Lexington whose tremendous damage after the Battle of the Coral Sea was miraculously repaired in two days so she could rejoin the fleet. After Midway the Japanese Navy never regained the initiative and eventually its last fleet action in the Battle of Leyte Gulf in October of 1944 near the Phillipines ended up as more of a kamikase endevour. 

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »
June 3, 1888

(125 years ago)

"Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888" appears in the San Francisco Examiner.
rtpoe