Need help with VOB files
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:02:00 PM »
I've recently copied several videos from VHS onto DVDs using a VCR-to-DVD machine.  I used it to set up the videos into separate titles with chapter breaks, and the machine formatted the discs so that it works fine on that machine, and is similarly navigable on my computer (and presumably other DVD players).  I would like to put some of these videos online, but when I went to look at the files on the DVD, I saw  some huge VOB files; they're not at all divided up in the way I set up the videos, and Windows Media Player won't let me skip to other parts of the file to check and see what's there without sitting through the rest of the time on the file.  Can anyone offer me some advice or options on how to combine/break up these files and/or convert them into a format that's more viewer-friendly?  Ultimately, I'd like to either upload these files on Mediafire (or similar), or possibly put them on YouTube or DailyMotion (a process which I'm not familiar with either), so any and all help or advice (preferably through PMs) would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:07:40 PM by number3fac »
be seeing you...

SwitcherX

• Legend
Re: Need help with VOB files
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 12:36:13 AM »
VOBs are MPEG-II files.  These guides should help.
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

titmouse

• F Cup
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:21:23 PM »
VLC player?

SwitcherX

• Legend
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 02:06:53 AM »
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

Shara

• Cup Runneth O'er
  • version 1.337
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
I've recently copied several videos from VHS onto DVDs using a VCR-to-DVD machine.  I used it to set up the videos into separate titles with chapter breaks, and the machine formatted the discs so that it works fine on that machine, and is similarly navigable on my computer (and presumably other DVD players).  I would like to put some of these videos online, but when I went to look at the files on the DVD, I saw  some huge VOB files; they're not at all divided up in the way I set up the videos, and Windows Media Player won't let me skip to other parts of the file to check and see what's there without sitting through the rest of the time on the file.  Can anyone offer me some advice or options on how to combine/break up these files and/or convert them into a format that's more viewer-friendly?  Ultimately, I'd like to either upload these files on Mediafire (or similar), or possibly put them on YouTube or DailyMotion (a process which I'm not familiar with either), so any and all help or advice (preferably through PMs) would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

With Adobe Media Converter (comes packaged with CS5 or later) you can convert to almost any format. I think VOB is one of them.
"I don't always approve of coup d'état, but when I do, it's by Shara." -LuvDemWhoppers

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
Good to hear back from you Shara.  :)

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:46:39 AM »
With Adobe Media Converter (comes packaged with CS5 or later) you can convert to almost any format. I think VOB is one of them.

First of all, welcome back, Shara! You have been missed!

Second, according to one of the comments on this article about the Adobe Media Encoder, "Adobe Media Encoder will not convert DVD media, so basically it's useless. Handbrake converts everything." So, number3fac, you might want to give Handbrake, or the Hamstersoft Free Video Converter 2.0, or perhaps even the  Miro Video Converter a try instead.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 06:13:49 AM »
Sorry guys, but this thread seems to be related to video format issues right? I have a problem. Recently I download an MP4 video from the internet. However, it could not be played. I tried using this software(http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/repair-mp4-file.html)to fix it. As you can see, I could play theh broken MP4 file again after conversion, but i do not know why it became more blurred compared to the original ones. The size stayed unchanged and it was the same resolution that i did not change. Anybody has an idea about it?

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 09:58:50 PM »
Where did you download the file from?
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:08:16 AM »
Sorry guys, but this thread seems to be related to video format issues right? I have a problem. Recently I download an MP4 video from the internet. However, it could not be played. I tried using this software(http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/repair-mp4-file.html)to fix it. As you can see, I could play theh broken MP4 file again after conversion, but i do not know why it became more blurred compared to the original ones. The size stayed unchanged and it was the same resolution that i did not change. Anybody has an idea about it?

First of all MP4 is only a container. Within this container you can put a lot of stuff. Different Audio Channels, Subtitels and last but not least your movie.

For each of thease audio and movie and subtitle you can have different formats, algorithms. For audio eg. DTS. AC3, MP3, AAC and a lot more including lossless https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_codecs
For video eg. h.265/MPEG-H HEVC, h.264/MPEG-4 AVC, H.262/MPEG-2 and a lot more https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_codec

Because of this file size is no measurement for quality at all.
That you can't play your MP4 is either you have a strange codec in it, or the index is corrupted. Now when you use such a conversion software it might convert from a high quality codec to a low quality codec. It might change the bit-rates, etc.

I recommend you to try the open source software "handbrake". It allows you to choose from many target codecs. I'm very happy with it using it with my BluRay and DVD's. Give it a try and run it with different values until you are happy.

Though if it is an index problem handbrake won't fix it. Then you have to use a repair tool.
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.