SwitcherX

• Legend
DNA testing
« on: February 13, 2013, 02:46:14 AM »
Has anyone had their DNA tested from a site like 23andMe?  (know of any others?)

Apparently they can tell you a lot about where your ancesters cam from, possible health info, etc.  However I've read some reviews that say what they got back was that their ancesters were from Europe and that for every medical condition known they have a 5% chance of getting it.  Not too helpful.

Also there are the privacy matters.  Some people have gone to truly paranoid lengths when sending for one of the testing kits.  Fake names, mail drops, etc because they don't want to be placed into a DNA database from the feds.
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
Re: DNA testing
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 03:22:09 AM »
23andMe is the largest of the DNA-lite outfits. Mostly what they give you is a detailed analysis of what percentage of your ancestry is from where. PBS used them for part of their series on **29** ancestry. The only "pure" European was Stephen Colbert, and I recall.

They charge a little bit of money--$99--and just hit the high points. The service isn't complete enough for identification or parentage testing. You get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 03:23:57 AM by pedonbio »
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
You would think that people who are so paranoid about winding up on some DNA database somewhere (so the Feds can do what, exactly? Hit them with a DNA-specific virus???) that they use fake names and mail drops might actually take the fundamentally easier step of not ordering one of those kits....
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 01:40:36 AM »
Or just show up on Maury instead...
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 02:18:30 AM »
Or just show up on Maury instead...

First you've got to ask your Mom who your real Dad is...
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

NotElvis

• F Cup
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:06:38 AM »
Fake names, mail drops, etc because they don't want to be placed into a DNA database from the feds.

*headdesk*