Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
Before you say 'just install the "Bulk Image Downloader" for Firefox https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/bulk-image-downloader/ or something similar, please bear in mind that that's a Firefox Add-On that's Windows only since it requires the use of the "Bulk Image Downloader" app which is a Windows-only application. "Extreme Picture Finder" is another Windows-only solution that I can't use. I'm running Ubuntu Linux and have been googling on this subject a lot this afternoon, including this page: http://forums.linkbucks.com/showthread.php?1614-Any-Imagefap-Bulk-Downloader-tools (and others like it) ...and have yet to come up with a viable solution.

As you probably know, an Imagefap gallery contains image thumbnails which link to separate pages, each of which contains the full-rez version of the image file. Because the thumbs don't go directly to image files themselves, the fact that the full images are removed one extra layer from the gallery page means that simply using a browser to 'Save As' the entire page as a web archive (even if the browser offers the option to follow one layer of links, which most don't) doesn't work. :( I did install a Firefox Add-On called Image Download II 6.0.5 which looked as though it should do the trick, but thus far, I'm only able to get it to download the thumbnails themselves and not the full-rez images they link to even though I'm telling it to follow links. :(

I even went so far as to go find and install a great (and little-known) German browser on my (Mac) laptop because I used to use it years ago for this exact thing and it used to work great: in iCab http://www.icab.de/dl.php you can specify how many 'layers' (of links) that the download process should follow and even incorporate file extension filters, rules about whether to limit downloads to the local server, etc.. However, for the life of me, I couldn't get the current version of iCab (5) to actually do what I wanted: to simply download/save the full-rez image files ...even though I had everything set correctly AFAICT and tried multiple times with various settings. :( I'm also in the process of trawling for Chrome image downloader extensions, but it's a time-consuming hunt and IME, there are much more available for Firefox.

Both the Mac iCab browser and the Image Download II 6.0.5 add-on for Firefox SHOULD work, but thus far, I'm only getting stamps and bits of html files. :( SO, though I haven't given up, I really don't mind asking for some help here... if you know of a method I could use to bulk/batch download the image files from half a dozen Imagefap gallery pages I'd really appreciate it.

Added later: FYI, after trying literally a dozen different Add-Ons/Extensions for both Firefox and Chrome (being limited to those that run under Linux) I did actually find one that I think really works as advertised: it's called ImageHost Grabber (for Firefox) and unlike the others I tried, it actually follows links to the full-rez file, at least for imagefap galleries (all I've tried so far). I don't think it works for the results of google image searches or for stamp-links in forum pages (to capture the full-rez/original image from the displayed stamps, which like most gallery pages, is only one 'layer' removed). But, it seems to work properly at least on imagefap.

***IF SOMEONE HAS USED ANOTHER METHOD OR TOOL for bulk image downloads that isn't just for Windows, I'd STILL LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT IT, as no single method is going to work all the time... better to have multiple approaches. ;) Hope the IHG info is useful to someone. :)

Added later: in addition to Imagefap, this plugin also seems to work find on Xhamster galleries. I haven't gotten it to work properly with imgur yet.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 11:25:54 PM by Palomine »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
Re: How to download Imagefap galleries...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 05:26:36 AM »
If I ever use ImageFap, I shall remember this...so yeah, it has helped me already. Thanks, Palomine!

Mod edit: glad the info helped. I make it a policy (as I like everyone else to) that if I ask a question (be it a computer question, an ID Request, etc...) and I happen to solve it myself after I asked it, I always go back and update my post with the answer so others might benefit from the time/effort spent figuring it out. Though I've only used it on a few gallery pages, ImageHostGrabber really does seem to work right the first/each attempt... that's not to say some of the other methods I tried couldn't be made to work, but we all reach that point of diminishing returns (time spent trying to get some tool to do what we want before moving on to a different one).

The helpful exchange of info (and not just links to pix ;)) between users here is a big part of what makes this particular community at the BEA Forum special IMO. :) -Pal

Added later: it seems to work on Flickr photostreams (galleries of linked pix) too.
And on some forums, where the pix are 'one step' away from embedded thumbs.
And it seems to work fine on imgbox pages/galleries.
And it seems to work on tumblr pages, though you have to deactivate the default settings (i.e.: don't get embedded pix, delete dupe links across pages... if you only want one copy of each full-rez image instead of four. ;)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 12:30:57 PM by Palomine »
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 08:28:08 AM »
If I ever use ImageFap, I shall remember this...so yeah, it has helped me already. Thanks, Palomine!

Update: I found an equivalent for ImageHost Grabber that works on Chrome: Image Downloader

I'm trying to get it to work but tweaking the settings has been fairly unsuccessful. The whole point of this kind of an Extension is to be able to load a page with 750+ images (like this), click the download button, and boom, all the files download. Instead for some reason I'm getting 750+ "Save as..." dialog boxes that need to be individually clicked. Ugh.

Palomine

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 12:21:55 PM »
Update: I found an equivalent for ImageHost Grabber that works on Chrome: Image Downloader

I'm trying to get it to work but tweaking the settings has been fairly unsuccessful. The whole point of this kind of an Extension is to be able to load a page with 750+ images (like this), click the download button, and boom, all the files download. Instead for some reason I'm getting 750+ "Save as..." dialog boxes that need to be individually clicked. Ugh.

I have that one too and experience the same problem... there's a warning somewhere about changing your Chrome prefs to NOT say 'ask where to DL each file' and I did that, but still get the multiple save-as dialogs, which of course, defeats the purpose of such an extension to a significant extent.

I also have GetThemAll and a few other such tools for Chrome as well, but for big ImageFap galleries I still tend to boot Firefox and use ImagehostGrabber instead, even though I'm sure one of the Chrome plug-ins will work if I spend some time figuring out the right settings. Given the reality that there's no single bulk-image (or video/stream) download capture plugin for any browser that works on everything/all the time, of course it's necessary to have several installed to try/choose from. The additional fact that Google doesn't seem to allow any Chrome plug-in to work with Youtube is another handicap for Chrome IMO.

If/when ImagehostGrabber for Firefox stops working/being updated/supported it'll be a sad day since it's pretty damn good/fast/simple for some sites such as ImageFap.

PS: I test-DLd that Sundreams90 gallery with Firefox/ImageHostGrabber even though I'm pretty sure I've done so before: even with another process using about a third of my relatively modest DL bandwidth already running, IHG got all 723 pix in that gallery in about five or six minutes or so. :) Which ain't bad. ;)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 12:23:48 PM by Palomine »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 09:43:23 PM »
I have that one too and experience the same problem... there's a warning somewhere about changing your Chrome prefs to NOT say 'ask where to DL each file' and I did that, but still get the multiple save-as dialogs, which of course, defeats the purpose of such an extension to a significant extent.

Now that's the understatement of the day :) I'll have to just fire up Firefox & install IHG instead for ImageFap stuff from now on. 

Palomine

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 12:02:59 PM »
Now that's the understatement of the day :) I'll have to just fire up Firefox & install IHG instead for ImageFap stuff from now on.  

Imagehostgrabber no longer works for Firefox. :( Or more accurately, Firefox now disables it, calling it an "unsigned" extension. I had a brief peek, and there is some way to force Firefox to let it run even w/o "verification" per these FF instructions:

What can I do if Firefox disables an installed, unsigned add-on?

If an installed add-on is disabled because it hasn't been signed, contact the add-on developer or vendor to see if they can offer an updated and signed version of that add-on. You can also ask them to get their add-on signed. Another option is to visit addons.mozilla.org to see if there's a signed version of the add-on you can install.
Override add-on signing (advanced users): You can temporarily override this setting by changing the xpinstall.signatures.required preference to false in the Firefox Configuration Editor (about:config page). Support is not available for any changes made with the Configuration Editor so please do this at your own risk.

...I haven't done this yet, nor have I looked to see if there's a newer, "signed" version of Imagehostgrabber. I'm assuming it was a Firefox upgrade that implemented this sudden change, since Imagehostgrabber has worked fine inside my Firefox for ages up til now. As a matter of fact, being able to run Imagehostgrabber was pretty much about 90% of the reason I even booted Firefox instead of Chrome.

I'd like to get Imagehostgrabber running again, but over time, Chrome extensions such as GetThemAll and ImageDownloader have been improving, so... :(

Added later: I re-installed ImageHostGrabber into Firefox, and this time got it directly from Firefox via the Get Add Ons option (last time, it had to be downloaded from the IHG website and installed manually). The version is 1.6.5.5.1-signed (signed whereas the prior/now-automatically-disabled version was unsigned). It installed in about three seconds and runs fine, so there's that. :)  
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 11:18:59 AM by Palomine »

Palomine

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 01:10:54 PM »
Recently (since the last upgrade?) I notice that the ImageHostGrabber Firefox plugin is NOT working with ImageFap galleries. :( Can anyone using it confirm this, or have any info about why/how to fix things so it does?

Dunno if it matters, but I'm running Firefox 43.0 (I assume it's the current build for Linux) and have the latest version of ImageHostGrabber installed: 1.6.5.5.1-signed. It used to work great with ImageFap galleries, but now, when you run it, the ImageHostGrabber window opens, but it remains blank (where you'd normally see the list of files to be/being downloaded) which is what happens when it encounters a downloading task at a page it's not compatible with.

Maybe something changed at ImageFap... maybe they've tweaked something to defeat bulk/auto downloaders?

Any help appreciated. :)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 01:12:38 PM by Palomine »

Palomine

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
OK, more weirdness lately trying to use bulk image downloaders and I'd appreciate some advice.

Now my former fave: the Imagehost Grabber extension for Firefox isn't working with gallery pages at sites that it used to work on FINE: it can't grabbed linked (full-size) images from imagefap.com image galleries, xHamster image galleries or motherless.com image galleries ...all of which worked great with IHG before. I even went so far as to completely delete and then re-install Imagehost Grabber, but only got the same result: when I tell it to start and the download progress window pops up, instead of being filled with the usual list of files being/to-be downloaded, it remains blank and nothing happens (at imagefap) OR a list of files to be downloaded appears, but each one errors as undownloadable: "Request Aborted can't find image on page" (at xHamster and Motherless ...even though the linked stamps all work when tried one-at-a-time/manually). Again I stress: these three gallery hosts are "easy ones" and used to work FINE with Imagehost Grabber in the past. :(

I also tried several other bulk download extensions for both Chrome and Firefox and even installed a couple new ones, and frankly, I've had no luck with any of them: what used to be a quick/simple task (going to a gallery page of image stamp/links and telling the tool to save all the linked/full-size images to a folder) seems to have become a complicated and joyless exercise in futility. :( I either get just the image stamps (and not the full-size linked images, which is the whole point ...that's what DownThemAll is doing no matter what settings I choose) and/or a whole bunch of crap files (website bits) that I neither need nor want.

Can anyone please recommend a SPECIFIC gallery download extension/add-on/plug-in for either the Chrome or Firefox browser that DOES work as intended for galleries of images like those at imagefap, xHamster and motherless? Simpler is better if given a choice (which is why I used to be such a fan of Imagehost Grabber). The only catch is that I'm running Linux not Windows, so I can't use any of the download extensions that actually depend on a separate Windows-only download manager program (like Bulk Image Downloader aka BID).

I'm 100% open to some OTHER way of downloading the linked images from a gallery: if there's some website where you enter the URL of the desired gallery and that website then gathers the linked images and downloads them to your PC (like we use clipconverter.cc or Dirpy to grab Youtube and other video streams) and it works, that'd be great too.

For your reference: here's a list of what I've got installed/have tried lately in Chrome (for Linux): Image Downloader, Download Master, Chrono Download Manager, Fatkun Batch Download Image, Image Downloader Plus (the last couple don't even open anymore so are probably not compatible with the current version of Chrome). And here's a list of what I've got installed in Firefox (for Linux): Imagehost Grabber (which USED to work GREAT almost everywhere ???), Easy Media Download, All Downloader Professional, DownThemAll, rarchive, and Double-Click Image Downloader (here too, the last few don't even open anymore so are probably no longer being updated to work with current Firefox).

I'm all ears and would be appreciative if anyone can give me a hand giving my gallery download-fu a much needed refresher! TIA! :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 02:19:33 PM by Palomine »

MaxBigfoot

• ZZZ Cup
  • Maximum Manga Maven
I used to use Imagehost Grabber as well, Palomine.  Apparently, according to the developer, as of Firefox v46, Firefox has changed the way it works so that thousands of add-ons, including Imagehost Grabber, cannot work with it any more.  I've looked for other downloaders, the same as you, and haven't found anything that works like Imagehost Grabber did.  Currently, I'm just not downloading from Imagefap any more.  :-(

MaxBigfoot

To change Forum settings so that you see 50 topics per page:
Go to Forum Profile
Hover cursor over "Modify Profile" button in top left
Select "Look and Layout"
Scroll to "Topics to display per page", select 50 in dropdown menu
Click on "Change Profile" at bottom right of page.

You can also change "Messages to display per page" to 50 in the same way.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
I guess the only solution is to go back to using Firefox v.45.

MaxBigfoot

• ZZZ Cup
  • Maximum Manga Maven
I guess the only solution is to go back to using Firefox v.45.

That, or apparently there's an independent version of Firefox called Pale Moon that works with it, but I'm not willing to completely change my browser just to download Imagefap files.

MaxBigfoot

To change Forum settings so that you see 50 topics per page:
Go to Forum Profile
Hover cursor over "Modify Profile" button in top left
Select "Look and Layout"
Scroll to "Topics to display per page", select 50 in dropdown menu
Click on "Change Profile" at bottom right of page.

You can also change "Messages to display per page" to 50 in the same way.