« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 03:07:03 PM by Palomine »

SwitcherX

• Legend
Re: Thanks iOS!
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 08:34:06 AM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :D
Switcher X
A.K.A. Tina Fey Eichmann

"Thank you herr professor Tina Fey Eichmann, nuclear brain surgeon and moustache jockey."
-- Mammeister

"SwitcherX, you were always Mammeister's favorite...you bastard."
-- Notty

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 01:59:43 AM »
What the --! :D :D :D

Pal clarifies: that's a cap of a subject folder on my drive into which I've been saving pix posted here by users who upload attachments here using iOS devices... where the original filename is unavoidably replaced by 'image.jpg.' Which means when I download/save the second, third, dozenth... such 'image' I have to edit the filename to avoid overwriting the original/previously saved file. Time constraints being what they are, I don't sit there and type a long descriptive sentence, but rather add some spaces or numbers to quickly save the file and move on. What you see in the cap is the result.

Note: this is NOT a complaint directed towards users using iOS devices... I'd much rather have thousands of identically-named attachments (which we do) than nothing at all... I'm grateful sincerely for their participation. I'm merely bitching about this iOS/Safari-on-iPhone/Pad/Touch 'feature' which costs us all those useful original filenames.  >:(

« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:21:25 AM by Palomine »
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 05:40:42 PM »
If an iOS is what I think it is, I have one profile that uses it. While the software does change the filename to "image", I try to type the original name back in.

Pal says: iOS is the operating system that runs iPhones, iPads and the iPod Touch. The default browser that they all use is a version of Apple's Safari. From what I gather, any image file uploaded from them will have it's original filename replaced by 'image.jpg' (from what I'm told, there's no way to edit the filename back to what it was). BTW, I don't think I've ever seen any of your attachments labelled 'image.jpg' ...so, if you have been using an iOS device and have figured out a way to avoid this issue, please do let us know the details. :)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:37:27 PM by Palomine »
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 04:01:39 AM »
I don't use any iOS device for the BEA -- strictly a Windows 7 man here. (Although now that I've got one of these I should think about using Linux more.) Every time I download an "image.jpg" using Google Chrome, if it sees an already-existing file with that name, it automatically adds a number in parentheses. So unless I rename the files, my directory would look like

"image.jpg"
"image (1).jpg"
"image (2).jpg"
"image (3).jpg"
etc.

Pal replies: yes, most OSes will auto-increment the filename to avoid overwrites as you describe. Mine does too after the first one saved to that folder in the same session... i.e.: image.jpg will overwrite (with a warning first) image.jpg unless I manually edit the filename, but immediately after that if I save additional image.jpg files into the same location, they'll auto-increment/append as you say. I don't know why the first one in any group of saves risks overwrite... the distro I'm using is three years old... maybe it's been fixed since then.

In any case, I'm not winging about how any particular OS deals with same-name files, but rather with iOSs very annoying policy of stipping off the original filenames in the first place.  >:(  Even if the original filename looks like a string of random numbers, it's still potentially more useful than 'image.jpg.'
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 11:47:31 AM by Palomine »

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:09:36 AM »
Yeah, give me the original filename and not that "image.jpg" stuff any day :)

I forgot to add the link that I was referring to when I said "now that I've got one of these". Here it is:

Kickstarter: "The TuxDrive & The TuxPoster"
The 8GB USB 2.0 bootable flash drive in a super small form factor (from the highly reputed memory manufacturer, SanDisk) will host Linux Mint (The most popular Ubuntu/Debian based Linux distribution). Just plug in the drive into your USB port of your laptop/desktop, and with minimal keystrokes during boot, get Linux up and running in less than a minute. This setup will give you access to a whole new OS without any installation or hard disk space on your laptop.

I got the 32GB version.

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:39:07 PM »
Speaking of iOS, has anyone updated to iOS 7 yet? On my iPad 2, I still have iOS 4.x, and I'd love to be able to update it to any version but 7. That stuff looks like an explosion in a crayon factory...no thanks! :)

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 02:48:10 PM »
Quite a few of our active users participate here via iPads and iPhones and iPodTouch devices: all running Apple's iOS operating system. One particularly annoying trait of iOS is that it seems to RENAME ALL IMAGE FILES BEING UPLOADED to "image.jpg" stripping the original filename in the process.

Original filenames often contain useful info: perhaps the name of the model, or the source where the image was found, etc... Sometimes, even just the format of the filename can be useful, providing clues about the source. Aside from the fact that losing such info can negatively impact other users (if they want to know/find more of the same) the renaming has a side effect: multiple copies of "image.jpg" get saved... **77** other users (doing the saving) to manually retype any relevant info that some iOS posters put in the text of their posts, or letting their systems increment the filename (to "image (2).jpg") ...something that some file systems will do ONLY after the first save to the destination folder has been renamed MANUALLY in that session. This manual renaming/incrementing must be repeated dozens of times over the course of a few months for popular subjects (per my screen cap below).

Don't get me wrong: I'm grateful for many of the fine posts that some of our iOS brethren share with us... VERY grateful. But iOS has been around for so long now, I find it a bit hard to believe that no one has figured out a workaround for this: a way to preserve the original filename when the image attachment is uploaded. I've never had any iOS device of my own, so I have no personal experience with it or with Safari (which doesn't seem to rename images when it's run under MacOSX) or with any alternate iOS broswers that might leave the filenames unmolested.

Does anyone know anything about this? Some method by which our iOS pals could upload image attachments to the forum just like computer users do: with the original filenames left intact? Given how many folks here use iOS, and how many more folks use the forum, figuring out a way to resolve this would be a significant public service that'd benefit EVERYONE, not just iOS users themselves.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 11:06:14 PM by Palomine »

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 10:38:37 PM »
On IOS devices, images are stored in the Camera Roll, which is also where photos from the devices' cameras are stored. When uploading an image from Camera Roll in Safari, every image is "image.jpg", and there's no edit available on the filename. The filenames are there --you can send images from Camera Roll to a Mac via the cloud, and they'll arrive on the Mac with their original filenames-- but you can't handle the names in IOS.

Pal replies: Biz-airre. Pardon my ignorance of all things iOS, but does that mean it wouldn't make difference if a user used some browser other than Safari, because the file would still be sourced from the "camera roll" and thus be stripped of it's original filename too? Also, does that mean that all saved image files MUST reside in the camera roll? There's no drive partition or file folder equivalent where they might be put?

I presume this bug/feature is NOT found on Android-based tablets? Users uploading pix from there (I know some have USB ports and accept flash drives, thus there must be SOME kind of more flexible filesystem for storage) are able to do so with the original filenames?  
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 12:03:06 PM by Palomine »

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 01:44:20 PM »
On IOS devices, images are stored in the Camera Roll, which is also where photos from the devices' cameras are stored. When uploading an image from Camera Roll in Safari, every image is "image.jpg", and there's no edit available on the filename. The filenames are there --you can send images from Camera Roll to a Mac via the cloud, and they'll arrive on the Mac with their original filenames-- but you can't handle the names in IOS.

Pal replies: Biz-airre. Pardon my ignorance of all things iOS, but does that mean it wouldn't make difference if a user used some browser other than Safari, because the file would still be sourced from the "camera roll" and thus be stripped of it's original filename too? Also, does that mean that all saved image files MUST reside in the camera roll? There's no drive partition or file folder equivalent where they might be put?

I presume this bug/feature is NOT found on Android-based tablets? Users uploading pix from there (I know some have USB ports and accept flash drives, thus there must be SOME kind of more flexible filesystem for storage) are able to do so with the original filenames?  

I think the limitation is in Safari --when the ability to upload images was added as an afterthought-- so there may be other browsers that allow filenames. I haven't run into any, though.

Palomine

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 02:18:25 PM »
Gargantual mentioned that Chrome (the browser) is available for iOS http://forum.bearchive.com/index.php/topic,9990815.msg10266140.html#msg10266140 ...perhaps this is old news to some but it's new to me (I don't have any iOS device). Though gonZo's explanation of why image attachments uploaded from iOS devices lose their original filenames leads me to believe that using Chrome instead of Safari won't fix that, would/could someone out there with an iOS device please install Chrome and verify whether or not the original filenames still get stripped off when uploading an image attachment to a forum post?

TIA! :)

tdotter

• Moistpubes2-the return of the goo!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 04:03:30 AM »
^I don't know,Palomine.These are some of the reviews for the Chrome  Browser App and the majority are not good.I would say less than 10% of brand new apps that are released have no glitches in them.They almost all do.I would wait until they update it a few times and get their shit together before downloading Chrome.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 04:05:11 AM by tdotter »

Palomine

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2014, 10:42:22 AM »
^I don't know,Palomine.These are some of the reviews for the Chrome  Browser App and the majority are not good.I would say less than 10% of brand new apps that are released have no glitches in them.They almost all do.I would wait until they update it a few times and get their shit together before downloading Chrome.

Thanks for the info tdotter... as mentioned, I don't use iOS and am among the few folks I know who's never downloaded an app at all. ;) I was just curious as to whether images uploaded using Chrome suffered from the same "rename to image.jpg" problem as those uploaded using Safari. Based on gonZo's explanation, I assume the renaming will persist, but figured it was worth asking if anyone's tried it.

Palomine

Re: Thanks iOS. (NOT!)
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 06:10:33 PM »
After having to manually re-name the 30,000th picture from "image.jpg" to something else, I am motivated to ask again, knowing it had a buggy release: has anyone just uploaded even a single pic to be a forum attachment from an iOS device using Chrome browser for iOS?  ??? I'm just curious as to whether or not it strips the original filename and replaces it with "image.jpg" like Safari does (under iOS). It's not even the cumulative time wasted or the zillion permutations of "image_001.jpg" that I wind up with for popular subjects that annoys me... it's losing forever the info that the original filename can sometimes provide, helping in future searches for similar material.  >:(

I'm not in the market for a tablet or any other iOS device, but I've been reading about them vs. newer Android tablet offerings like the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10" tablet and can't help but think I'd much rather have the Samsung running Android instead of any version of the iPad... the Samsung (and presumably comparable Android tablets from other mfgrs) has an actual file browser (like a PC running a PC OS) as well as a USB port and a media card slot ...all of which are missing on every iPad.

Does anyone have any personal experience uploading image attachments here using a Samsung (or other) Android-based tablet? Does it preserve the original filename? I'm curious.

TIA! :)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 07:16:09 PM by Palomine »

Lightfoot

• Wandering Artist
    • Pulse
Re: Thanks iOS. (NOT!)
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2014, 01:50:58 AM »
Let's try with Firefox for Android...

EDIT: it worked.  I searched for the image of my Android tablet on my PC, put it in my Dropbox, then turned on the tablet and I was able to attach it directly from the Dropbox.  I don't know if something different would happen if I had done it a different way.

I didn't use Chrome, I actually like Firefox better.  Unlike with a phone, the Chrome for tablets is set up to be very similar to the way it works on a computer.  It uses really small tabs that are hard to push.  Firefox (and Chrome for phones) has a tabs button that you push and it brings down a larger display of all open tabs.