Robin_K2

• A Cup
Re: Comcast to buy Time Warner Cable for $45 billion
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 06:28:35 PM »
The last time antitrust enforcement was an issue in a national election was 1912. Of the three candidates, the two who got the most votes (Wilson and T. Roosevelt) were the two who criticized the laggard (Taft) for lax enforcement.

Pb, I know you didn't mean it this way, but your post made me think: I wonder if today's political parties or even individual candidates could be prosecuted under antitrust. If corporations are people, a fortiori   . . .

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2015, 06:57:41 PM »
Pb, I know you didn't mean it this way, but your post made me think: I wonder if today's political parties or even individual candidates could be prosecuted under antitrust. If corporations are people, a fortiori   . . .

That's so crazy, it just might work! :)
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 03:04:54 AM »

For openers political parties are not engaged in commerce. Antitrust laws protect commerce.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.

pedonbio

• Oh My God Cup
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2015, 03:37:25 AM »
By the way, the grammar Nazi in me requires that I point out that, despite Willard Romney's claims, there is no legal holding anywhere that corporations are people. In U.S. law they are considered "persons", not people. This status endows them with very limited rights; what has caused problems is, as you know, one of those rights is a right to bribe politicians without consequence.
Someday, chi1dren, this entire fuck-up will be yours.