solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
Re: Guess the Movie
« Reply #390 on: April 15, 2016, 11:58:12 PM »
Ok, here is another. Aged Cavalry officer who is in his last mission to bring peace in the southwest US.

Dances with Wolves?

Nope. Dances with Wolves was a young cavalry officer who deserted his duties and post, joined the enemy and was placed in the high plains of North Dakota and Montana.

KBTs

• B Cup
« Reply #391 on: April 17, 2016, 05:43:25 PM »
"She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" with John Wayne?

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2016, 10:20:30 PM »
"She Wore a Yellow Ribbon" with John Wayne?

Yes ! It was part of the " Cavalry Trilogy " in which John Wayne and director John Ford did between 1948 and 1951. OK, let's try another. Former Confederate officer returns to post civil war Texas and his brother's family is wiped out by a Comanche group led by Cicatriz and goes on a quest lasting several years to recover the only survivor of the family, his niece. 

KBTs

• B Cup
« Reply #393 on: April 18, 2016, 09:55:22 AM »
I am guessing "The Searchers"?

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #394 on: April 18, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »
Yes. Maybe too easy.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #395 on: April 18, 2016, 06:13:03 PM »
Part of the fun is coming up with a one-sentence summary that is technically accurate:

"When her daughter gets sick on pea soup, her mom calls in a faith healer."

"A high-tech amusement park goes under because, in part, the management didn't provide the control room with manual locks on the door, or even an emergency exit."
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.
-  Donald Culross Peattie

CarlTL

• ZZZ Cup
  • King of the Avatars
« Reply #396 on: April 18, 2016, 10:07:45 PM »
The Exorcist

Westworld

KBTs

• B Cup
« Reply #397 on: April 19, 2016, 10:00:18 AM »
^ Those were my guesses, too.  The amazing thing to me is that I actually can guess at these movies due to the excellent distillation and conceptualization of the films into recognizable interpretive brevity.  That, and that I have actually seen them, so far...

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #398 on: April 19, 2016, 10:14:43 AM »
Submarine commander survives attack from Japanese destroyer when his submarine is sunk and later on develops successful tactic to sink Japanese destroyer ( movie slightly based on real events ).

KBTs

• B Cup
« Reply #399 on: April 19, 2016, 05:25:55 PM »
"Run Silent, Run Deep" with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster (and that fantastic pinup on the bulkhead)?

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #400 on: April 19, 2016, 07:14:29 PM »
Part of the fun is coming up with a one-sentence summary that is technically accurate:

"When her daughter gets sick on pea soup, her mom calls in a faith healer."

The Exorcist (1973)

"A high-tech amusement park goes under because, in part, the management didn't provide the control room with manual locks on the door, or even an emergency exit."

Nah, CarlTL and KBTs, I believe the answer is:

Jurassic Park (1993)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:17:00 PM by TheZookie007 »
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #401 on: April 19, 2016, 09:34:55 PM »

Nah, CarlTL and KBTs, I believe the answer is:

Jurassic Park (1993)

Tis indeed Westworld. Jurassic Park hadn't opened yet, so it could hardly "go under".
rtpoe

The last fling of winter is over ...  The earth, the soil itself, has a dreaming quality about it.  It is warm now to the touch; it has come alive; it hides secrets that in a moment, in a little while, it will tell.

solvegas

• ZZZ Cup
« Reply #402 on: April 19, 2016, 10:51:14 PM »
"Run Silent, Run Deep" with Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster (and that fantastic pinup on the bulkhead)?

You are good. As a submariner, that movie was de rigueur for us bubbleheads to see. Back in 1977, on my first boat ( submarines are always called boats even if they displace 18,000 tons like a Ohio class boat ) there was a old WW2 submariner with three battle stars on his War Patrol pins. He was the last submariner with such a decoration to serve in the US Navy at that time. Anyways, the movie was based on a tactic called " down the throat " which essentially meant for the submarine to face the destroyer bearing down on it head on. Extremely risky because destroyers are much more maneuverable and faster than a submarine on or near the surface and involved the boat sending a salvo of two to four torpedos at close range with a five or so degree of separation of the angle so if the destroyer would get hit whether it turned to Port or Starboard it would get hit. The tactic is no longer used because todays MK 48 torpedo is maneuverable and very long ranged unlike the MK 14 of WW2.

rtpoe

• Old Fart
« Reply #403 on: July 26, 2017, 07:01:50 PM »
Bumping just because I can...
rtpoe

tdotter

• Moistpubes2-the return of the goo!
« Reply #404 on: August 25, 2017, 01:55:31 AM »
I got one.
I can't tell you what this movie is about because it will be solved very quickly.
Here are the clues.
1.It's a 1980's movie.
2.It starred one very big name actor and was filled with what seems like every great character actor that appeared in many big movies from the 1980's.
3.Hard movie to categorize.I remember going to the video store(remember those?) and sometimes it was in the action section and sometimes in the comedy section.
4.It involves lots of travel.