TheZookie007

• L Cup
How to manually download an image from Instagram
« on: January 13, 2015, 10:05:03 AM »
There are a number of ways to do it automatically via a browser extension or via a piece of downloaded software, but if you just want to grab one or two images from an Instagram feed, here's a way to do it manually. It's a little cumbersome but is almost always guaranteed to work. For this example, I shall use the Instagram feed of Zahra, and the Google Chrome browser.

1. Go to the Instagram feed (e.g. instagram.com/zahraelommali) and scroll down until you see the image you want to capture.

2. Click on the image to get it to full size (e.g. instagram.com/p/xok1cJKJZ6/?modal=true)

3. Right-click on the image and choose "Inspect element" from the resulting context menu. You will be taken to a multipane code window.

4a. The pane you should concentrate on will have some lines of code already highlighted. In our example, the line will be:
Code: [Select]
<div class="iImage" style="background-image:url(http://scontent-b-iad.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10890973_645902538864976_128312721_n.jpg);" data-reactid=".6.0.1.0.1.0.0.0:$frame894126528058136186:0.0.$=1$image:0"></div>

4b. Alternatively, there should be a line or two above the already-highlighted one which contains similar-but-not-exactly-the-same code. In our example, that line will be:
<div autoplay="" src="http://scontent-b-iad.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10890973_645902538864976_128312721_n.jpg" class="lfFrame Frame Image" data-reactid=".6.0.1.0.1.0.0.0:$frame894126528058136186:0.0"></div>

5. In both cases, though, the part of the line we need to concentrate on starts with
http://scontent-b-iad.cdninstagram.com/because that is the URL of the image we want to grab. You need to grab the URL between the parentheses (in step 4a), or the URL between the quotations marks following "src=" (in step 4b). The result will be the same:
http://scontent-b-iad.cdninstagram.com/hphotos-xaf1/t51.2885-15/10890973_645902538864976_128312721_n.jpg

The easiest way to do that is to hover over the URL (in step 4a); you will see a thumbnail image appear. If you click on that URL, the image will open in yet another multipane window. Right-click on that image, and choose "Open image in new tab" from the context menu. Or, if you grab the URL from step 4a or step 4b, you can open another tab, paste the URL in the address bar, and the image will appear there.

6. Right-click on the resulting image, choose "Save image as..." from the context menu, and that's that.

Hope this helps.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

Liam

Re: How to manually download an image from Instagram
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »
In Firefox:

Right click on the full size picture, then left click "View Background Image".  Save image.
The M thread spammers are ruining this forum
Thousands of vacuous posts, no sense of decorum
Trolls, the chatroom creeper, and the uppity twat
All earned bans years ago but banned they are not
Thanks to delinquent mods that need to resign
But “it’s a thankless job” they’ve the gall to whine
While the site itself is a broken mess
And the people in charge just couldn’t care less

mgpuf

• A Cup
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:55:41 PM »
I had no idea firefox had that feature. I might switch back from chrome now, thanks!

Liam

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 03:52:30 PM »
Actually I use Pale Moon, which is a clone of Firefox (and FF extensions work with it).  Firefox got so heavy and slow on my old PC I had no choice but to look for another browser.  I started using Pale Moon and haven't looked back.

mgpuf

• A Cup
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 05:33:56 PM »
I too switched from firefox to chrome a while back for the same reason, however chrome has become glitchy in recent versions. I look forward to trying Pale Moon.  Being a clone, I'm assuming it receives all the standard security updates at the same time firefox does?

Liam

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:41:07 PM »
In Firefox:

Right click on the full size picture, then left click "View Background Image".  Save image.

There are "View Background Image" extensions for both Chrome and Safari.

Edit: I just tested them and they work.  The Safari one I got from this page:
http://www.gingerbeardman.com/safari/
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 05:57:22 PM by Liam »

Alex339

• A Cup
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »
I use igviews.com

Liam

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:40:25 PM »
The "View Background Image" method isn't working anymore, with the new design on instagram.

So now I:  Right click, then "View Page Info", then the Media tab, then scroll down to find the Image on the list (it's the last one), click it and the full size image should appear in the window below, then click the Save As button.  

...I'm finding it's more efficient to do it this way anyway.

In Firefox / Pale Moon.        
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:11:11 PM by Liam »

gonZo

• pain in the ass moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
New quiz: "Alternative Browser or Craft Beer?"

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 09:37:56 PM »
The "search the source code for the .jpg file link" method works regardless :)
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

Liam

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 02:13:45 PM »
Right click, then "View Page Info", then the Media tab, then scroll down to find the Image on the list (it's the last one), click it and the full size image should appear in the window below, then click the Save As button.

So for posts with multiple photos you do the same thing, but keep going up the list from the bottom, saving each full size picture, until you start seeing thumbnails in the window.

I'm using Waterfox, btw.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
I use my smartphone for this.

Apps:
- for everything in the timeline picture/video with Video-Downloader for Instagram
- for story I use: Story Assistant

I think it only costs me 1/50 of my time instead of doing it with a web browser.
Anti-social behaviours lack consideration for the well-being of others. Any types of conduct that violates basic rights (human rights is one of them) of another person. It can show as covert or overt hostility.