Ouroboros

• C Cup
Re: BUG REPORT THREAD for 12/29/2015 FORUM SOFTWARE UPGRADE
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »
I agree the color scheme is awful... way too bright and low contrast... and that's not even considering all the wasted space that causes one or two short posts to fill up a full HD display... SOOO much more scrolling around now needed to see all the replies since last visit. :( I've expressed this issue to admins more than once already, but by all means, do post such concerns here, since we'll direct them here to see user opinions.

I would just like to echo both Palomine and BustArtist's opinion that the current forum color scheme is awful. Trying to read dark gray font atop of gray boxes is infuriating. I hope that someone can take the time to implement a theme featuring better contrast.

It would also be nice if a better chat plugin was implemented. The current shout box lacks key features such as private messaging and the interface does not scale with the window when it is opened. Some SMF compatible chat plugins include:

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 10:34:04 PM »
I agree the color scheme is awful... way too bright and low contrast... and that's not even considering all the wasted space that causes one or two short posts to fill up a full HD display... SOOO much more scrolling around now needed to see all the replies since last visit. :( I've expressed this issue to admins more than once already, but by all means, do post such concerns here, since we'll direct them here to see user opinions.

I would just like to echo both Palomine and BustArtist's opinion that the current forum color scheme is awful. Trying to read dark gray font atop of gray boxes is infuriating. I hope that someone can take the time to implement a theme featuring better contrast.

It would also be nice if a better chat plugin was implemented. The current shout box lacks key features such as private messaging and the interface does not scale with the window when it is opened. Some SMF compatible chat plugins include:

Thank you for the constructive post Ouro... Ajax is what was supposed to be installed (I dunno if it was the old or new one) but somehow we wound up with Shoutbox instead, maybe it came with the upgrade or something... I'm not sure. I agree that Shoutbox seems pretty much like our old lousy chat except for a few extra features (font/color) and it's missing private messaging, etc...

Before we ask admins to get and install a different chat, we'd like users to TELL US WHICH CHAT THEY WANT so we can all settle on something and then live with it. SO, would anybody like to suggest a chat package (that's fully compatible with the Simple Machines forum software that the BEA uses of course) such as any of the three Ouro mentioned or something else?

Please post your suggestions here (for now) and I'll keep track of "votes" and once the forum install has settled down (hopefully not more than a few days from now) I'll pass along whichever Chat plugin that got the most votes, OK?

Thanks. :)

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 10:50:51 AM »
The entire "Testing & Off-Topic Discussion" section of the Forum (under "Miscellaneous") seems to have disappeared, taking one of my favorite threads on the BEA Forum (the "Why so few Indian/Pakastani [sic] models?" thread) with it. And I've been "downgraded" to a mere L cup.

I sorta agree that any time the Forum is upgraded, stuff gets borked. But, hey, at least my post count and my Bookmarks still seem to be OK! :)

Edited to add: When I'm logged into the Forum on Firefox, the entire "Testing & Off-Topic Discussion" section does not appear, (top) but when I'm not logged into the Forum on Chrome, it does appear (middle). The entire section also is invisible when I'm logged in on Firefox (bottom). If while logged in on Firefox, I try to go to the "Testing & Off-Topic Discussion" section directly, I get the message "An Error Has Occurred! The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 11:32:51 AM by TheZookie007 »
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

Nimrod

• KC Strip Artist
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 11:10:06 AM »
System activating...
NIMROD online!

Wow, this was a rocky transition for me. It took some doing but the support people over at BotComics (no relation) were very helpful after we figured out that my contact e-mail address had been deactivated (not deleted) by the service provider. Apparently this happened right about the time the forum was reworked so I did not get any of the reactivation links.

Hint: everyone should check that their contact information works, even if it did just a few months ago. Thanks to Gonzo, Palomine and Kithara for also lending a hand.

Still a tiny bit jealous that Kith clicked a few buttons and was right back on-line, must be a BEA Princess thing.

CHAT BITS:
I do not mind the lack of private messaging as I have only used it one or two times and only because someone else invited me to it. I prefer to talk as a group and get a overall conversation going. I have been on before when you can tell that the majority of people are off doing some other talk. I am not versed enough to speak about any of the other chat systems mentioned. I would say that the one with the greatest stability would get my vote.

NEW FORUM FORMAT:
I agree that the amount of screen real estate that is eaten up with open space, gutters, boxes, etc. feels excessive and there is a good deal of scrolling to read just a few items. If this is difficult to overcome I would suggest that the page jump links, i.e. (1,2,3...7) be easy to locate and activate as it sounds like threads that were previously 5 pages will now be 15.

Page contrast is only so-so, however I do like that there is a tone behind the text - but it is a bit dark. So, in stead of 80% black on 20% background, more like 90% black on 10% background would be better - IMO.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 10:32:10 AM by Nimrod »
BE Together...

Images are (c) Nimrod unless noted otherwise

Sawyer90

• Rocket Jock
  • Game called on account of Naked Chick!
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2016, 11:20:30 AM »
Just got my password reset and logged in, so that's good...

Mobile version of the forums is far worse than the desktop version. And I concur with others: the color scheme and forum layout is... Suboptimal.
My guide to life: Never argue with idiots, drunks, trolls, or conspiracy nuts. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Hiram

• Z Cup
  • I like big tits
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 12:02:21 PM »
And I've been "downgraded" to a mere L cup
Excitingly I got an upgrade...

I'd like to take this opportunity to thanks the admins for getting me back on the forum after finding my registered email hadn't been updated by me for some time.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 12:06:35 PM by Hiram »
Lipsmacking, thirst quenching, ace tasting, motivating, good buzzing, cool talking, high walking, fast living, ever giving, cool fizzing... #BOOBs

TheZookie007

• L Cup
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2016, 12:37:49 PM »
One thing I do like about the new Forum: you can click on an attached picture and toggle between displaying it as a thumbnail and as displaying at full size.

One thing I don't like about the new Forum: the pagination at the bottom-left of the screen is hard to hit because the numbers are so close to themselves. There's no longer any "First" and "Last" links either.
ACB, BK, CT, NG, SA: FU. FUATH. 100x.

Sawyer90

• Rocket Jock
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2016, 12:44:13 PM »
And I've been "downgraded" to a mere L cup
Excitingly I got an upgrade...
Downgraded. Was at (I think) an E, now an A.

Down with reductions! All hail growth! ;D
My guide to life: Never argue with idiots, drunks, trolls, or conspiracy nuts. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

adariman

• A Cup
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2016, 01:08:38 PM »
Wait, so the chat IS working? Because I can't access it. Tried two different browsers now.

Sawyer90

• Rocket Jock
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »
Wait, so the chat IS working? Because I can't access it. Tried two different browsers now.
Worked for me. Win 7 Home Edition, Chrome for browser. Popped up in a new window, though, so maybe a pop-up blocker got in the way?

adariman

• A Cup
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2016, 01:34:23 PM »
The new tab pops up, but there is nothing in it.

Palomine

• Modern Male Mammal, Linux enthusiast.
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2016, 02:21:49 PM »
Using the "History" button to look back at recent posts in the new "Shoutbox" chat, I copied verbatim the following comments from chat users about the new chatroom software in order to memorialize their feedback here for admins (who we hope will eventually install a better chat app). I've removed the usernames to protect the innocent. ;) The history displayed four short pages of chat activity (pull quotes below) and in that time, the only significant/positive comment was a user's glee that the auto-censor has not yet been re-activated (to auto-censor words prohibited by the BEA's payment processing company). Each comment was posted in the chat by a *different* user on or around January 7th, 2016:

User 1: "you used to be able to see who was in chat. is that gone?"

User 2: "One step forward and two back. :( With no private messaging... and a terrible interface. Oh boy." If we all pile on in the [link] thread and ask for some changes to the chat, someone might take pity and fix up something a little bit nicer than this."

User 3: "is anybody here? (lol) seriously. I can't tell if I'm the only one in here or not. I think I like this chat worse"

User 4: "wtf is this lol"

User 5: "if this isn't changed, BEA chat is dead in 1 month tops. lol. this may be THE worst chat program i have EVER seen in over 20 years of using the internet"

User 6: "no private messages either. and i can't see who's in chat. looks like i got timed out"

JH_

• F Cup
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2016, 02:42:53 PM »
Requested new password.  Got it, and logged in.  Yay! All worked.

I know you will be dealing with others who have had real technical issues, so no rush...

BUT...

Will there be "adjustments" to the Forum design?  This color scheme is hideous, and makes reading difficult (little contrast and such deep color behind text).  Yes?  Yes?  Pleeeease?    :)

Good work on the upgrade!

I'd like to echo all of the above.
JH

Dr_Fashizzle

• Fizzle Cup
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2016, 07:54:42 PM »
Hey guys. I finally got logged in!  ;D

I agree that this theme is broken in several different ways (yellow on white text, avatars stretching 100%, too much wasted space, etc)

I actually made a custom theme for the last version of the forum, but some weird stuff happened and it never got officially installed. I ended up just using it for myself as user stylesheet. :(

I can (and will for myself, at least) make a new theme for this version. I can work on it this weekend and probably get most of it done.

Attached is a rough idea of what I'll shoot for -- but probably a little flatter. (The broken images are because it's salvaged from Google Cache)

Let me know if anyone's interested in making this an official theme, or has any input/ideas.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:56:43 PM by Dr_Fashizzle »

Sawyer90

• Rocket Jock
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2016, 08:13:46 PM »
Doc, you're a miracle worker again. That looks fantastic and I'd use it in a heartbeat.